Logic States There Will Be A Deal, But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

Both sides have too much to lose and nothing to gain by waiting untill next January to start up serious negotiations again. And don't kid yourself into thinking Goodenow would ever even consider negotiating before a drop dead date because he wouldn't know how. There will be zero reason to negotiate seriously in August or September or November with a guy like Goodenow. The more I read about Goodenow, the more I despise him. He's a deadline hunter whos only tactic is to push the industry to the point of no return and then call the owners bluff. Thats been his MO all along, he has no plan B. Its what he did as a management representative when he waited out the workers for 11 months while they all went broke and were forced to come back to work.

If the owners would be willing to cancel this season (which I personally don't believe to be the case) then I take them at their word that the industry is sick beyond belief. If we were dealing with 2 rational and logical parties here, then I would be 100% certain of a season starting up shortly. For some reason though, everyone involved in hockey, owners and players, are some of the most stubborn and inept businessmen/entertainers on the face of the earth. Its for this reason that they may defy logic and scrap the season. I'm thinking its 50/50 at this point. If they do, they all deserve what they are going to get. Which is 1/2 the revenue and 1/2 the salaries.

justicex

Nov 12, 2003
Montreal
I doubt it..

You would need to have a vote of the players to agree on the new CBA.

A small training camp.

Singing a bazillion players.

Not even talking about the rush of few teams to Stanley Cup
And the rush of other teams to get Crosby.

Season would not start before at least Feb 15th or such.

With how many games?

This mini season or tournament would be a big error and just plain sad.
--

The season is over. Lets just hope for god shake that new season will start in october.. or it will be real bad and sad.

Crazy Lunatic

justicex said:
I doubt it..

A small training camp.

With how many games?

--

The season is over. Lets just hope for god shake that new season will start in october.. or it will be real bad and sad.

First off, it would take one day to have a NHLPA vote on the CBA, then 1 week maximum for training camp and signing players. I dont quite understand your "rush for the Stanley Cup and Crosby" comment, but oh well. The original 6 only played 20 or so games, are Rocket Richards cup victories not respected? It was only in the 1970s that the NHL got anywhere close to 80 games and everyone knows its too damn many. Trust me, if both sides believed the season was over, all the negotiating would be finished untill next January because thats how Bob Goodenow operates. 32 or 26 regular season games plus a full playoffs is easily enough to determine who is the best hockey team in the world. Actually, I wish every season would be 32 games long, 82 is just a complete joke.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Not quite. The original 6 played as high as 70 games, and they'd been doing that since 1949. You'd have to go back to 1924 to find a season where they played less games than what's being talked about now.

And of course, with only six teams, they still played each other four times or so in a 24 game season, still more than the current proposals.

Yup, that'd be a real season. Playing less games than a league in it's first few years, where teams had to travel by rail for days to get to a road game, they didn't even allow forward passing yet, and hadn't yet figured out how long the periods should be.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
justicex said:
I doubt it..

A small training camp.

With how many games?

--

I truly beleive there will be a season, because I may be naive enough to think everyone is not as stupid enough to let this happen, but I'm sure if everyone is willing that they can move everything back a month if they really wanted to and for just one year only we're playing hockey in july (ice surfaces will be slushy but you take the good with the bad)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I thought there would be a season but the players still think the owners wll come off of the cost certainty kick which is not going to happen

Reading the comments from the PA and the player agents,they are lost

The NHL is speaking in english but the PA is speaking in Cantonese :help:

X0ssbar

There will be a season. I gotta believe these goofballs won't drive this thing off the cliff.

longtime listener

Nov 18, 2003
Its not necessarily optimism that has people believeing in a season, and the logical and pragmatic aren't necessrily all saying its done. There's still a ton of money that can be made this year, and you risk losing a ton more without a season. Faith in the less savory aspects of human nature, not blind optimism, demands that the chances for there being a season are still pretty good. The greed of many men can and should overcome the pride of two.

Besides, take everything either side has ever said to the press and throw it out the window. The facts are the players came back in December ready to give up 1/4 of their salaries. The owners were jumping for joy. It was a good sign they'd eventually get to institute some kind of cap. The PA will likely take a salary cap if they can negotiate a palatable one and play this season despite all the hurdles to get one started. Not every free agent needs to be signed to play. You take what guys you have now, add some AHL stand-ins and a prospector two and you start signing who you can before the playoffs. Boston may be in trouble, but recent history suggests the Bruins likely wouldn't feel much shame in stacking the roster with farm hands and cheaper free agents. There could be quite a few NHLers not playing this year and waiting for next because of the time crunch, but that won't stop a season if the sides are otherwise ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad