Logan Couture is on fire

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
After his tough start to the season due to having mono, Couture has been on a tear over the past 2 1/2 weeks.

He finished November with one goal and 12 assists through 13 games, and he has 11 goals and 10 assists in nine games in December. He also had four goals, five assists and a plus-7 in three games this weekend.

Redden Punches Faces*

I have a feeling this thread will die a quick death just like the last one....but I agree he is absolutely looking like a man among boys out there lately. SHOULD make some lucky top-3-pick-having team very happy next summer.

Cyclops II*

The whole line has done well recently. McGinn has probably performed the best but he and Couture have really complemented each other.

Redden Punches Faces*

McGinn has been putting up points, but make no mistake he is living off of Couture.

Cyclops II*

McGinn has been putting up points, but make no mistake he is living off of Couture.[/QUOTE

Most of Couture's goals were set up by McGinn. McGinn did not do much when Couture was out with mono but there weren't any decent linemates for him. He will do well with solid offensiuve linemates.

Redden Punches Faces*

Hey man McGinn is a nice junior player, but I'm not really seeing him become much more than a decent thirdliner as his topend. Couture on the other hand should be a top 3 pick next year and settle in eventually as a topline NHL centre if he hits his potential. Its blatantly obvious who is making that line go when they are out there, Couture is a step ahead of everyone most of the time.

Redden Punches Faces*

I dont think its a matter of people not liking him, its just that for some reason he gets completely overlooked. Maybe its because he was sick this year and thats cost him a place among the league scoring leaders, but hey if the trend continues to draft day some middle of the pack team is going to be very happy.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Why don't people like him? :confused:

Couture is awesome. He and my nephew went to school together in London. I've liked his game ever since I saw him play junior B as a 15 year old. Drafted him in the seventh round of my keeper pool three years ago, too.

Somebody was wondering in another thread who they thought was the most NHL ready of the first-round prospects. I think it could be Couture. He's got such a mature two-way game. If he stays healthy and is able to add some strength, I could see him helping an NHL team as an 18-year-old.

I'm not saying it should happen, or will, but he's got the one part of the game down pat (defense) that prompts many NHL coaches to send kids back to the minors or junior.

fitchcj555

Dec 13, 2006
Why don't people like him? :confused:

The only reason why anyone "doesn't like him" is because the are one of those uninformed posters who pretend that they know a lot more than they actually do.

For instance, when Logan got off to a slow start there were many who had written him off simply by looking at his stats. I guarantee the majority of these so called know it all had no idea he had mono and was not anywhere near 100%.

Now that he has got back to form and is as the thread starter said "ON FIRE" people are back on the LC bus.

As for the people that really matter...NHL scouts know him and Im sure they love his game, in fact I bet some even liked that slow start he got off too, in hopes that they may be able to steal him after the top 5-7 picks. If it isn't obvious to everyone now I'll make it very clear. He is going in the Top 3. He is GOING to challange Voracek, JVD, Sammy G, et all for the #1 spot, and like the poster above me stated he certainly could be the most NHL ready.

X-SHARKIE

McGinn and Couture feed off each other well... McGinn does the dirty work in the corners, and in front of the net... Couture feeds him the puck (excellent passer) and sets up the offense... a skilled, two way play making center (Couture) and a gritty, finisher (McGinn)... Ottawa has a fine top line.

They click well .. as I've seen them on Rogers via tape several times this year and several more last -

I don't understand why someone has to take away from one player just to talk up another?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Is it possible that Couture was stuck in the long shadow cast by John Tavares last season and then his late start was not enough to catch up with Gagner? I remember hearing a bunch about Couture before the start of the OHL seaosn tehn Gagner and Kane exploded.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Anyone who has had mononucleosis can tell you that it takes several months before you return to top form as an athlete. One's vitality is usually severey lacking from this draining & tiring virus.

However it seems that Logan Couture is playing himself back into shape and slowly improvimg his timing, stamina, conditioning, etc. while improving his point production. It was late November I believe (11 games into his season) before he scored his first goal.

Hockey hall of fame inductee & junior coaching legend Brian Kilrea has a lot of high praise for this young player, and the article in today's Kingston newspaper is proof:

Frontenacs' skid grows with loss to Ottawa 67's

Claude Scilley/The Whig-Standard
Local Sports - Monday, December 18, 2006 Updated @ 11:11:29 PM

We can only hope that the Kingston Frontenacs have saved all their good gift ideas for the folks back home.

They certainly didn’t have much to offer their fans yesterday as they played their final Ontario Hockey League game before the holiday break.

The loss was the ninth in the last 10 games for the Frontenacs, who have tumbled all the way to eighth place in the Eastern Conference. Ottawa, resident of the East division basement for most of the current campaign, climbed one point ahead of the moribund Kingston club with yesterday’s win.

"We’ve been in that horse [deleted] spot since the season started," said Ottawa general manager and coach Brian Kilrea. "Now we’ve given ourselves a chance to get up with the other teams and have something to fight for."

Winner of eight of their last 12, the 67’s have rallied around the return of Logan Couture, Kilrea said.
Couture struggled through the first two months of the season with mononucleosis and has only been fit for the last couple of weeks, said the coach.

"We [lost] our best player for two months," Kilrea said. "We tried to get goals, everybody was trying to do their best, but we didn’t have Logan. Now we’ve got Logan and everyone’s playing a little bit better around him. He’s that good a player."

Kilrea said it isn’t just about Couture’s offensive skill, though he had a goal and two assists yesterday.

"It’s what he does defensively and what he does all around the rink, in the dressing room and everything else. He’s just such a good kid. He doesn’t take long shifts and tire himself out and be subject to something going [wrong] defensively. He’ll take a short shift. He just won’t be on the ice if he’s tired. He’s an ultimate team player.

"We missed him for two and a half months and we paid a price."

The 67’s got three goals from Jamie McGinn yesterday, and a 37-save effort from Brady Morrison, the former Frontenacs goalie. It was a performance neither coach was discounting as a factor in the outcome.

"Morrison is very confident against us, for whatever reason," said Kingston coach Bruce Cassidy.

"Maybe because it’s his former team, he wants to shove it up our ***, I don’t know, but he plays well against us and his numbers don’t bear that what he does against us he does against the rest of the league."

Morrison, who has given up 15 goals in five games against Kingston (3.00 goals-against average), has a 3.83 average against the rest of the league. With a 4-1 record against the Frontenacs, he’s 9-11 against everybody else.

"We had almost 40 shots with only two power plays," Cassidy said. "We got pucks to the net, we just weren’t in a position to score on the rebounds."

For Cassidy, it was the essence of the game.

"If we get goaltending it’s a different hockey game," he said. "I don’t think we got the big stops."

His team having lost all but one of its last 10 games, Cassidy said the seven-day break the Frontenacs will now enjoy is as good for them as anything.

"I don’t like to run from our problems," he said, "but by the same token if you’re going to have a break, now for us it’s good. Even for myself and [general manager Larry Mavety], we have to sit down, maybe re-evaluate our lineup, too. The [trade] deadline’s coming up. Do we need to address certain areas? What’s out there?

"Then just for everyone to get a mental break. The losing wears on you. Let’s face it, when you’re winning you want to be at the rink every day. When you’re losing, it gets to you."

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Oh, and to make matters worse for Kingston, one of their top players in forward Corey Emmerton apparently left the game yesterday with what is believed to be a broken ankle.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Oh, and to make matters worse for Kingston, one of their top players in forward Corey Emmerton apparently left the game yesterday with what is believed to be a broken ankle.

Bad news for Emmerton. Having a really great year after a poor U-18. Hope he's not out for too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->