Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Watched a bit, he almost looks bored out there. Kind of a waste of a season for him in some ways. Let's hope he has that oomph for a playoff run and dominate.

What? It's in no way a waste of a season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Watched a bit, he almost looks bored out there. Kind of a waste of a season for him in some ways. Let's hope he has that oomph for a playoff run and dominate.
One thing I noticed (and it might be that he simply doesn’t need to in junior) he doesn’t move his feet in the o zone when he gets the puck lol. It’s oretty strange to watch actually.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Hopefully he's gaining a lot of confidence being asked to be the driving force on his team, always leaned on in power play and other offensive situations. I thought Chabot made the most of that situation last year, good to see Brown doing the same. Wouldn't call it a waste. Him looking bored I honestly think is somewhat just how he plays- a big man that doesn't play mean or overly physical, can look sluggish at times.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You stopped reading again. I said it is in some ways. Like another poster mentioned, he coasts at times because...he can. And that makes it a bit of a waste
At the same time. What else was there to do with him? Honestly. I don’t mind having a guy like that. Having him practice with the pros and giving him 25-35 games. For the season. Learning the pro game off the ice working out with them. But I think that’s seen as a stupid plan

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are going to be on Brown his whole career for his "coasting".

It's the way he plays, and it's always how big guys with skill are perceived, it followed Spezza his whole career.

The Kopitar's of the world are not the norm.
Thing is spezza could up the tempo at will. Brown coasts even when he’s on the offensive. (From I see. Now is that the norm for him maybe not, and I didn’t really see any laziness when he was with us at the start of the season). He seems to almost always be nonchalant. Spezza was anything but when in the offensive zone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
At the same time. What else was there to do with him? Honestly. I don’t mind having a guy like that. Having him practice with the pros and giving him 25-35 games. For the season. Learning the pro game off the ice working out with them. But I think that’s seen as a stupid plan

Nothing to do. He is a tweener which is why it is a waste in some ways , people, in some ways. Unfortunate that he has man size playing against boys. At least he is getting points but he would probably have been better served going to the AHL. Of course he can't go.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's pretty rare to find a guy with his wing span who also has great hockey sense and vision. Really rare, in fact. We won't know for sure for a couple more years, but he could be that #1 centre we haven't had since the peak Spezza years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's pretty rare to find a guy with his wing span who also has great hockey sense and vision. Really rare, in fact. We won't know for sure for a couple more years, but he could be that #1 centre we haven't had since the peak Spezza years.
I said it at the draft, he's the closest comparison in both skillset and game style to Spezza, since Spezza.

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nothing to do. He is a tweener which is why it is a waste in some ways , people, in some ways. Unfortunate that he has man size playing against boys. At least he is getting points but he would probably have been better served going to the AHL. Of course he can't go.

I think he was best served by having a dominating offensive season and being one of the best players in juniors.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Let him figure out the AHL next season and get some NHL experience along the way.

Then in 19-20 he should be ready, which coincides with Brassard's deal expiring.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

This also excites me to have a play with gifted hockey sense and vision. I can't wait for him to get here and show what he can do. I think his dad will prepare him well and hopefully keep reminding him how hard it is to play in the NHL. You can't ask for better guidance than that.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I feel like Brown is great but he has another level. And that level comes with age and eating more and gaining that man strength once he commits to working out (lessons from Borocop).

He said in his draft year his Dad wanted him to not work out so as not to stunt hsi growth which I totally understand.

But something about the way he looks, maybe the size of his giant head, makes me think this is a bull dog just waiting to get to the gym and fill out. And then once he does this over the next couple of years of aging and playing and eating he will actually be able to bull around the guys in the NHL like he can in the OHL.

It;s just physics yo. So tall can grow so wide. Wide and tall hard to fall. Centre strong makes team strong.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He said in his draft year his Dad wanted him to not work out so as not to stunt his growth which I totally understand.
I hear that all the time but it simply isn't true. There is no evidence for this. I'm not sure how it became an accepted myth, but no, you cannot stunt your growth by lifting weights. It's total nonsense.

Reactions: Larionov

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I hear that all the time but it simply isn't true. There is no evidence for this. I'm not sure how it became an accepted myth, but no, you cannot stunt your growth by lifting weights. It's total nonsense.
Well in any case, it is indeed true that has Dad had him intentionally not do weight training. Makes me excited for when he hits man-strength.

Get rid of the beanpole look pronto.

Reactions: slamigo

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah, if anything that would simply have held him back. The kid should be working out. It will actually help prevent injuries, especially bulking up around joints.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It actually promotes bone growth lmao.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I feel like Brown is great but he has another level. And that level comes with age and eating more and gaining that man strength once he commits to working out (lessons from Borocop).

He said in his draft year his Dad wanted him to not work out so as not to stunt hsi growth which I totally understand.

But something about the way he looks, maybe the size of his giant head, makes me think this is a bull dog just waiting to get to the gym and fill out. And then once he does this over the next couple of years of aging and playing and eating he will actually be able to bull around the guys in the NHL like he can in the OHL.

It;s just physics yo. So tall can grow so wide. Wide and tall hard to fall. Centre strong makes team strong.

Has their been much study for the growth of 17-18 year olds who work out compared to not? Is there even anything to that?

I've heard someone say they notice its usually smaller guys who work out in grade 11 and 12 but i don't think that would be due to them having stopped growing due to working out. I think that would be more due to more smaller guys either getting picked on or out muscled and are trying to change that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brown is going to be a very unique player for this team in time. I imagine he starts next yr in Belleville but I could also see them keep him in Ottawa if they are able to move a number of players at the deadline & maybe over the summer to make some room. Otherwise, I doubt there would be room on the roster for him. I would like to see him placed with a goal scoring forward on one side & a guy who will go into the corners & stir it up like a Tkachuk or Lemieux type of player on the other side. Ottawa doesn't have a player like that in their org at the moment but they could draft Tkachuk this yr, if he is still on the board. Svechnikov would also be a good pick too & be that goal scoring forward Brown would need on one wing & they would need to trade for Brendan Lemieux or a player like that if they could to fill the other side. IMO Brown could turn into a lighter version of Spezza, I doubt he becomes as prolific a point producer but I think he has #1 centre potential. Couturier is looking good now.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I expect Brown to spend little time in the AHL. Just long enough to get used to the speed of the pro game.

I am not sure how well his game/vision translates to the AHL honestly. He seems like the kind of player that benefits from highly-structured plays and gameplans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad