Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Having a poor year in Windsor, with a good amount of his points coming on the powerplay and as a result very low even strength scoring. Reading the Spitfires board, everyone wants him gone for the next year. Is this just a one off, or do you think this is a serious cause for concern?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Having a poor year in Windsor, with a good amount of his points coming on the powerplay and as a result very low even strength scoring. Reading the Spitfires board, everyone wants him gone for the next year. Is this just a one off, or do you think this is a serious cause for concern?

What makes you say he is having a poor year? He has been injured a fair bit. I would also assume part of the time he played he was banged up. If you follow him and have seen him play and can comment on his game it would be helpful to your claim. I have been on the OHL Spitfires thread often, and just like here you get some people over reacting as fans often do. I do not believe that everyone wants him gone.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Haven't watch him.. but getting injured every 3-4 isn't helping a player to be in game shape or get on a roll.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

He has been injured a fair bit this year that could be part of the reason.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, he's been a disappointment. Too bad Dorion didn't have balls to trade him for Burrows+ or some bigger piece instead of Dahlen.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, he's been a disappointment. Too bad Dorion didn't have balls to trade him for Burrows+ or some bigger piece instead of Dahlen.

Brown is having a down year but he has size and speed vs Dahlen who is small and lacks speed.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
What makes you say he is having a poor year? He has been injured a fair bit. I would also assume part of the time he played he was banged up. If you follow him and have seen him play and can comment on his game it would be helpful to your claim. I have been on the OHL Spitfires thread often, and just like here you get some people over reacting as fans often do. I do not believe that everyone wants him gone.

It's a poor year because essentially we have to write-off a very important year of his development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There's a number of factors that need to be considered here.

Brown's production, while disappointing by his standards, isn't actually that bad when you consider that Windsor as a team has had a ton of trouble scoring this year. I'm not convinced that Windsor's coach Rocky Thompson has any idea of how to run an offensive system. All of his best offensive players are having disappointing seasons. Brown's production has decreased slightly from last season, Vilardi (a top 3 prospect this year) has underwhelming production for his skill-set, Bracco went from almost 2 PPG to slightly above a PPG after being traded to Windsor, Nattinen's production has taken a huge nosedive from last season when he played with Barrie, Sergachev's production is about the same as last season, and other drafted guys like Knott and Addison aren't having great offensive years either. Almost every offensive player on Windsor is disappointing this season, so Brown's 40 points in 35 games isn't terrible considering the circumstances.

And then there's the injuries. He's been plagued by wrist injuries, groin injuries, maybe more. His production took a nosedive after his injuries, so it seems like they are inhibiting his ability to produce.

What is concerning to me is the lack of effort that he has shown this year. It's really disappointing considering the notable increase in his effort level over his draft season, which made me think concerns over his effort level were over. If Brown doesn't get his compete level back up to where it was in the second half of his draft year, he could legitimately end up a bust in the Grigorenko/Colborne mold.

Kind of a lost season for the kid. Certainly a disappointing draft+1 year for a variety of reasons. However, it's worth emphasising that he still has massive potential. We're talking about a 6'6 kid with top line talent. His shot is great, his vision is incredible, he's got very slick hands. He skates very well for his size and can really protect the puck down low. He can be about as good as he wants to be. Brown was always a boom or bust pick, and if he booms, we're talking about a big #1 center in the Getzlaf/Johansen mold. There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about this kid going forward. Kid was definitely a risk worth taking at 11th overall.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

Oh and by "Everyone" do you mean the one or possibly two users who are complaining about him??? Fireball being the main one

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't discount the fact his dad was a very good NHL player too and can hopefully help him overcome this season.

On the flip side did the fact his dad wouldn't let him do any weight training have some negative effects on his ability to withstand punishment?

I won't be worried unless he has a brutal season next year...he was going back to junior anyway from what I understand...

A good off season and then a big year next year will have everyone feeling right as rain

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I kinda wish Windsor wasn't hosting the Mem Cup. Brown definitely needs a long off-season this summer to get healthy, train, and put on some muscle. He has tons of potential, it's just about getting him physically and mentally ready to be a pro.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I would disagree albeit slightly. The guy needs games to improve.

Who knows what the cause of the injuries are, but at 19, and with his frame, he could put on 10 lbs in an offseason anyway.

He has many years of offseason training for strength left, but he needs ice time. He is nowhere near prepared even for the AHL at this point. He is a project...he won't get a sniff at the show for at least 2 more years or so imo.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would disagree albeit slightly. The guy needs games to improve.

Who knows what the cause of the injuries are, but at 19, and with his frame, he could put on 10 lbs in an offseason anyway.

He has many years of offseason training for strength left, but he needs ice time. He is nowhere near prepared even for the AHL at this point. He is a project...he won't get a sniff at the show for at least 2 more years or so imo.

Probably closer to 4 years. I think the Sens have always viewed Brown as a long-term prospect.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I kinda wish Windsor wasn't hosting the Mem Cup. Brown definitely needs a long off-season this summer to get healthy, train, and put on some muscle. He has tons of potential, it's just about getting him physically and mentally ready to be a pro.

It would not shock me one bit if he traded to the 67s.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007

Big game experience is important for development. I hope he's healthy and makes an impact in the memorial cup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Brown's problem will always be between the ears, it wouldn't hurt him to hire a sports psychologist to help him get motivated & want a great pro career. He has all of the intangibles required to be a great player with maybe the exception of desire or determination. He's probably not going to be my kind of player from what I have seen of him & he reminds me a lot of a Spezza lite type of player which isn't that bad either. I think he will get his points but always leave people & coaches wanting more from him. I think it would really help if Ottawa could find a very motivated & determined player like Brendan Lemiuex to play with him & hope it rubs off.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Windsor fans probably feel the same way at this point, looks like they'll have trouble getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Going to be embarrassing to have them as the host if that's the case. They haven't been healthy all year, Brown especially. A year ago, though, it was Chlapik we were all disappointed in, so we should know by now not to panic too much. But his injuries have been beyond frustrating, he started the year red hot, too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Windsor fans probably feel the same way at this point, looks like they'll have trouble getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Going to be embarrassing to have them as the host if that's the case. They haven't been healthy all year, Brown especially. A year ago, though, it was Chlapik we were all disappointed in, so we should know by now not to panic too much. But his injuries have been beyond frustrating, he started the year red hot, too.

Red hot on the pp.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It would not shock me one bit if he traded to the 67s.

Ewww.....with his dad as the head coach...not sure if I like that. Too many ways that could go sideways. Logan needs to grow and be his own man, not to be under daddy's wing. That maturity that comes with having to figure things out a bit for yourself and having that bit of autonomy is invaluable.

I wouldn't mind that scenario. What bothers me, the the extremely short summer for kids who play in the Mem Cup. They don't get enough of a summer break to really rebuild that muscle and do what they need to, to be ready for next season.

If the Spits fall in the first round, they will get a nice breather. That would give Brown a decent chance to build a bit of muscle and heal before the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->