Lockout threatens the 2o06 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I hope the NHL:ers get to play the 2006 olympics. If nothing else, the world of hockey needs the positive publicity it would create.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Twine Seeking Missle said:
Who cares about the olympics

Obviously not you, don't reply next time. I need a confirmed answer from one side or the other. I need to make some plans to get my ass over to Torino to watch these games. I was at Salt Lake (best hockey ever) and I'll be at Torino if the big boys are playing.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Let this years World Jr team represent Canada at the 06 Olympics, there the ones who need a break, we shouldnt be making it any easier for the pros

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
From the story: Even if a deal gets the NHL back on the ice this year, the league might decide that too much time was lost to stop play again next season - even for the Olympics.

Because the last thing the NHL should want to do after alienating the public with a long work stoppage is get hockey back in the media spotlight in a positive way.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Lard_Lad said:
From the story: Even if a deal gets the NHL back on the ice this year, the league might decide that too much time was lost to stop play again next season - even for the Olympics.

Because the last thing the NHL should want to do after alienating the public with a long work stoppage is get hockey back in the media spotlight in a positive way.

Great point and I couldn't agree more. Whether or not this will kill two weeks of an upcoming season is a non-factor. Get the players front and centre in the world largest sporting event. Nothing will get the American fans more excited about hockey again, then watching the team competing for their country and having a chance to contend.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
BLONG7 said:
Personally, I don't think the Pro Players belong in the Olympics...Amateurs only IMO...

Too bad there are no real amateur leagues of significance left in europe. We'd have to fill out our team with plummers, policemen and unsigned high school kids..

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Riddarn said:
Too bad there are no real amateur leagues of significance left in europe. We'd have to fill out our team with plummers, policemen and unsigned high school kids..

Beautiful avatar. I can see the resemblence, can you?

Jazz

Lard_Lad said:

The Olympics are a bigger world Stage, so for the time being, the NHL needs to take part...simple as that, ever more now as Lard_Lad noted, it will get hockey back in the media spotlight....

Also, here is a bigger (and in my mind much underrated) reason to go to Italy in 2006: The fact that NBC now has both the NHL rights and the Olympic TV rights. This factor has been underplayed, and here is why:

The fact that the NHL right's holders and the Olympics right's holder have not coincided during the '98 and '02 game is a major reason why the exposure in the US has been less than expected...

* In 1998 in Nagano, the Olympics were on CBS, whereas FOX then had the NHL's rights.
* In 2002 in Salt-Lake, the Olympics were on NBC whereas ABC owned the NHL's rights at the time.

The reason this mis-match is a problem is in terms of cross-promotion. With NBC now owning both the 2006 Olympic and now the NHL rights, there is vast potential for NBC to use TV spots to promote both properties (the Winter Games and the NHL). During '98 one CBS official stated point blank: "Why should we promote FOX's property??" I'm sure NBC had the same thinking 2 years ago in SLC when the NHL was on ABC. The NHL needs as many opportunities to get into the American public eye and the potential for this to happen with the NHL going to Turino should not be missed.

This could be just another casualty if the CBA is not signed in time (i.e. them not going to the 2006 Olympics).....

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
kerrly said:
Beautiful avatar. I can see the resemblence, can you?

Man, do you think Peter Worrell will hear about that the next decade or two or what? ;) :joker:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Twine Seeking Missle said:
Who cares about the olympics

Most sports watching people on the planet. International top hockey is the real thing. Who cares about the NHL.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Gurj said:
Also, here is a bigger (and in my mind much underrated) reason to go to Italy in 2006: The fact that NBC now has both the NHL rights and the Olympic TV rights. This factor has been underplayed, and here is why:
That is a great point. Perhaps post-Olympics having shown the worlds best players who will become NHLer's, could be used as the platform to relaunch the new NHL from, if it generates interest, gets exposure, and gets some american heroes to follow. A long wait though.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Lard_Lad said:
From the story: Even if a deal gets the NHL back on the ice this year, the league might decide that too much time was lost to stop play again next season - even for the Olympics..
MORONS.

Lard_Lad said:
:lol:

:handclap:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
kerrly said:
Whether or not this will kill two weeks of an upcoming season is a non-factor. Get the players front and centre in the world largest sporting event. Nothing will get the American fans (and European fans of course) more excited about hockey again, then watching the team competing for their country and having a chance to contend.
:teach:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Screw the NHL players in the Olympics.The biggest waste of time.The NHL received no benefit from sending players to the Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002.1998 in Nagano was a disaster.2006 in Turino is a six hour difference from the eastern time zone.No more NHLers in the Olympics :shakehead Shut down the NHL for three weeks was and still is foolish :help:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Hey, maybe it won't be so bad if NHL players aren't allowed in the OLympics in 2006... If there is still a lockout, many ex NHLers will be playing in Europe, and in the Olympics anyways. I guess what we're counting on is the lockout being over by Feb 2006. Hey, thats only a year away now, I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. And if the NHL is back in session, IMHO,there will still be plenty of good players to go to the Olympics.

:propeller

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Screw the NHL players in the Olympics.The biggest waste of time.The NHL received no benefit from sending players to the Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002.1998 in Nagano was a disaster.2006 in Turino is a six hour difference from the eastern time zone.No more NHLers in the Olympics :shakehead Shut down the NHL for three weeks was and still is foolish :help:
Actually they didn't..what's foolish is that NHL stopped for only two weeks.
And what's even more foolish is to play 82 regular season games and to not cut down that number not even for the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->