Lockout Reported Over! 6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

Interesting twist from Sportsnet:

"The new CBA deal will have a backout clause for the players.

Sportsnet has learned the NHLPA negotiated a significant twist in what will soon be a new CBA.

Sources say the six-year agreement includes a clause that will allow the union to re-open the agreement after the fourth year.

This option allows the players to renegotiate this massive contract, if after four full years of working under its guidelines it's deemed "unsuccessful.""

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050713_090348_2992

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Top Shelf said:

Sportsnet has learned the NHLPA negotiated a significant twist in what will soon be a new CBA.

Sources say the six-year agreement includes a clause that will allow the union to re-open the agreement after the fourth year.

This option allows the players to renegotiate this massive contract, if after four full years of working under its guidelines it's deemed "unsuccessful.""

I guess it makes it all worth it to the players then :shakehead

Now I get it! :shakehead

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I think that clause shows that the NHL is really putting their money where their mouth is . . . and how much faith they have in the new CBA. This is a good thing, right??? Please be a good thing.

;)

GSC2k2*

THe 4 year re-opener is no surprise in the least. It formed a part of one of the NHL offers in February.

Lanny MacDonald*

Top Shelf said:

Significant? Not really. I do believe other leagues have had the same thing in their CBAs as well. I would like to know how they determine "unsuccessful"? That is the only thing here that makes me raise an eyebrow. Certainly it can't be as simple as some yahoo opening their mouth and saying the arrangement is not successful? I would think there are trigger points that have to be attained before this can be re-opened. But on its own, a re-opener is nothing new or earth shaking IMO.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Top Shelf said:

The NBA has, or had, a similar clause, except that one says that if the average NBA salary isn't the best out of the big 4, the players can opt out of it. At least they didn't want something like that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
it only took Eklund an hour to get wind of this
:biglaugh: Too funny. Is he just breaking his news in the last 20 minutes or so?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Hercules Rockefeller said:
The NBA has, or had, a similar clause, except that one says that if the average NBA salary isn't the best out of the big 4, the players can opt out of it. At least they didn't want something like that.

Poor NBA.. headed for their own lockout very shortly. Don't they realize that now that the PA got 'their' linkage, that they'll market the heck out of themselves and get revenues up to $10B, giving themselves a $5M average salary? Then the NHL players will be kings of all. It's all going according to plan...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Hercules Rockefeller said:
how can the nba have a clause like that when they can't even come close to competing with the nfl or mlb in terms of revenue, especially the nfl.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Fish on The Sand said:
how can the nba have a clause like that when they can't even come close to competing with the nfl or mlb in terms of revenue, especially the nfl.

Um, 14 man rosters come to mind...

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
barnburner said:
Geez...when a hockey fan knows the roster size of the NBA teams,
you know it's been a LONG lockout!

It has been (although I'm not positive on the roster size.. it may be 15).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
bobbsktball1 said:
hmm the nhlpa can opt out after 4 years of the contract....interesting.

This is going to put added pressure on teams with their marketing. No more excuses on why all 30 teams are not profitable. This is their bed they are making and now they can't blame everyone else for their mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->