Lockout / Players in Europe / Retirees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
My guess is that players who has sign for an European team for the entire 04/05 will not be able to play in HFNHL this season.

That includes Mattias Timander who sign for MODO a couple of days ago and Mariusz Czerkawski who sign for Djurgården. Peter Forsberg will most likely sign for MODO for the entire 04/05 which means that San José cant use him.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I would assume it's the players who signed and committed to Europe BEFORE the lock-out, that are no longer eligible for the HFNHL this season. Depending on the length of the lock-out, we may now see many more players signing on in Europe and committing, but that is a result of the lock-out and shouldn't really be factored in. If the season is called in January, and a ton of players sign in Europe, we can't all of a sudden delete them from our roster.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Personally I think that we should just disregard the players who have signed in Europe rule for this year. I think that by looking at all the players who have signed or moved to Europe it will just downgrade our game and ruin the level of competition. There probably won't be a NHL season until 2006 anyway so what do we do next year?

HFNHL Red Wings

This is a tough one as it's hard to tell which of these guys would have signed for Europe anyway. Morozov is a good example b/c he was in a bitter contract dispute and might have gone to Europe anyway. The lockout was just a convienient excuse. Forsberg is also a question mark as there's a reasonable probability that he was heading back to Sweden as well.

As far as I know there is less than a half dozen guys that took the full year in Europe option so I'm more inclined to use our usual Oct 1st rule for retirees/europe bound players.
Heck, I say this knowing that Lidstrom may be electing to go that route himself in the next couple of weeks so it's not like I'm immune.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I would assume it's the players who signed and committed to Europe BEFORE the lock-out, that are no longer eligible for the HFNHL this season. Depending on the length of the lock-out, we may now see many more players signing on in Europe and committing, but that is a result of the lock-out and shouldn't really be factored in. If the season is called in January, and a ton of players sign in Europe, we can't all of a sudden delete them from our roster.

Which means the two biggest names of the top of my head are Joe Thornton and Rick Nash will not be considered as they have signed contracts to play in Switzerland for the same team. I don't think Josh or Robbie K will be too happy about that.

With Morozov, from the reports that I've read from the post gazette, from memory, he was not coming back to Penguins if he didn't sign a contract by a certain date. He would stay in Russia for that season before coming back for the next season.

I thought Matt said something about if the player has a get out clause or reported to have one, the player is eligible. Which means Thornton and Nash can play. Basically names like Salo will not be included.

Feel free to correct anything that I've said wrong. Because this was my understanding so far for the respective issues.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
This is a tough one as it's hard to tell which of these guys would have signed for Europe anyway. Morozov is a good example b/c he was in a bitter contract dispute and might have gone to Europe anyway. The lockout was just a convienient excuse. Forsberg is also a question mark as there's a reasonable probability that he was heading back to Sweden as well.

As far as I know there is less than a half dozen guys that took the full year in Europe option so I'm more inclined to use our usual Oct 1st rule for retirees/europe bound players.
Heck, I say this knowing that Lidstrom may be electing to go that route himself in the next couple of weeks so it's not like I'm immune.

I think we should use the Oct 1st rule. Determination of who's in for a full year and who's not can be hard in some cases, but I doubt it will be a big problem.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Peter Forsberg sign a contract with MODO for the entire 04/05 a couple of hours ago which means he will NOT be able to play in HFNHL this season.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I say we use the beginning of the lockout as the cutoff date as well.

It only makes sense.

I'm willing to bet that most of the guys who signed in Europe (at least in terms of an official European contract, not the ones that Rick Nash and Joe Thornton signed which had out clauses) would have been playing in Europe this year regardless of the strike.

HFNHL Red Wings

Geez. I think TSN needs to be broadcasting SEL games this year given all the signings.

Here's a copy and paste of some European bound players from the past 3 days.

- According to Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet Peter Forsberg and the Sedin twins will play for MoDo this upcomming season. "I will play in the opening game on Tuesday" Peter said in a pressbconference in Ornskoldsvik.

-Mats Sundin, Markus Nilson, Nils Ekman and Daniel Tjarnqvist will all be playing for Djurgarden in the swedish hockey elite league

-Daniel Alfredsson, P-J Axelsson, Christian Backman, and Samuel Pahlsson will all be playing for Frolunda in the Swedish hockey elite league

-Kristian Huselius, Henrik Tallinder, Brendan Morrison, and Mike Knuble will all be playing for Linkoping in the Swedish hockey elite league

-Nicklas Wallin, Mattias Ohlund, and Tomas Holmstrom will all be playing for Lulea in the Swedish hockey elite league

-Shawn Horcoff and Daniel Cleary will be playing for Mora in the Swedish hockey elite league

-Dick Tarnstrom and Nickas Havelid will be playing for Sodertalje in the Swedish hockey elite league

-Henrik Zetterberg and Miika Kiprusoff will be playing for Timra in the Swedish hockey elite league.

The following NHL players have signed in the Swiss NLA league
- Olli Jokinen with the Kloten Flyers (has already played 2 games so
far, scoring 2 goals)
- Kim Johnsson with HC Ambri-Piotta (will play his first game next week)

- Radek Bonk has signed with HC Trinec of the Czech Extraliga. Marek Zidlicky has signed with IFK Helsinki of the Finnish SM-Liiga.

-Stephane Robidas has signed with the FrankfurtTigers of the DEL

-Martin Gerber has signed with the SCL Tigers of the Swiss NLA

-Jaromir Jagr has signed with HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga

-Milan Hejduk has signed with HC Pardubice of the Czech Extraliga

- COLORADO AVALANCHE NETMINDER DAVID AEBISCHER HAS SIGNED WITH HC LUGANO OF THE SWISS LEAGUE.

-SPORTSNET.CA REPORTS MONTREAL CANADIENS DEFENCEMAN SHELDON SOURAY HAS AGREED TO PLAY IN RUSSIA WHILE TEAMMATE MICHAEL RYDER WILL PLAY IN GERMANY.

- THE NEW YORK POST REPORTS RANGERS CENTRE JAMIE LUNDMARK WILL PLAY FOR BOLZANO OF THE ITALIAN LEAGUE.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Mattias Weinhandl and Pierre Hedin will also play for MODO.

Mike Ryder will play for Leksand in the 2nd division here in Sweden.

Petr Sejna is rumoured to join a team in the 3rd division here in Sweden since his brother is already there.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Wonder if the NHL will use scabs one day, since all the players are stealing jobs from people anyhow?

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Geez. I think TSN needs to be broadcasting SEL games this year given all the signings

Should consider the Czech league as well:
Eliáš, Vokoun, Jagr, Hejduk, Palffy, Straka, Stumpel, Kubina, Kaberle, Nedved and lots of others all in Czech league :banana:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I have to agree with Rob on this one. Mine may be one of the few teams that would actually have done BETTER in a lockout environment, but I still think for administration purposes alone (as well as to do our utmost not to dignify this lockout situation with anything resembling attention) I think we have to just open the door for any and all players who have AHL or NHL experience to be eligible to play in the HFNHL this year.

The lockout likely will mean that teams who had hoped to sign a hot rookie mid-season once they'd made an impact in the league will be out of luck this year, but that's a relatively minor impact, I think.

godlh

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Euro players prior to 04-05 season...

Ohio Jones said:
I think we have to just open the door for any and all players who have AHL or NHL experience to be eligible to play in the HFNHL this year.

Gentlemen, are we including players that were in Europe last season?

Let's use Per Svartvadet on my team as an example. He played in Europe last season and there is no indication that he was coming back to North America this year, he would not be eligible, right?

A better example could be Jonas Hoglund. He was in Europe for the whole season last year, should he be eligible to play in the HFNHL?

Eric

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Vaive-Alive said:
Folks - Lets keep it simple. Play this season as if there isn't a lockout, and no one signed in Europe.

My two cents

Kruegs

I said that a week ago and no one listened. It's the only way we'll have a competitive hfnhl season and saves admin headaches.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
godlh said:
Gentlemen, are we including players that were in Europe last season?

Let's use Per Svartvadet on my team as an example. He played in Europe last season and there is no indication that he was coming back to North America this year, he would not be eligible, right?

A better example could be Jonas Hoglund. He was in Europe for the whole season last year, should he be eligible to play in the HFNHL?

Eric

If there were any players in Europe who I thought would make a significant difference to the outcome of the season for one team or another, I might be more concerned about this point, but I think it's safe to say that all the Svartvadet's, Hoglund's and Yushkevich's in the world aren't going to represent a substantive shift in people's rosters this season, so while it might be easiest (and more accurate) to say that only players who played in North America in 2003-04 would be eligible, it honestly wouldn't bother me either way.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think we should go with players who were in the league last year. The only one I can think of who is significant is Tverdovsky, who had signed a 2 year deal last year. Just as we don't want to guess who would have gone to Europe sans lockout, I don't think we should start guessing who would have come back.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
kasper11 said:
I think we should go with players who were in the league last year. The only one I can think of who is significant is Tverdovsky, who had signed a 2 year deal last year. Just as we don't want to guess who would have gone to Europe sans lockout, I don't think we should start guessing who would have come back.

I'm still of the opinion that players that signed a deal in Europe without any lock-out related strings attached (Morozov is the best example), those players shouldn't be included. Otherwise, a guy like Brandon Reid would count as well, whereas he went to Europe as well, on a no-strings deal, and IMO shouldn't play in our league.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
kasper11 said:

I agree with this. And while there are players like Morozov who MIGHT have signed in Europe anyway, it's just impossible to tell who was hedging their bets there would be a lock-out, and who was going anyway.

From an admin perspective, it's also easier this way. If they played in North America in 2003-2004, we'll have a rating for them that is balanced against NHLers. It's tough to give the Tveredovsky's of the world a HFNHL rating based on his play in Russia, and his NHL play is too dated.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Hossa said:
I'm still of the opinion that players that signed a deal in Europe without any lock-out related strings attached (Morozov is the best example), those players shouldn't be included. Otherwise, a guy like Brandon Reid would count as well, whereas he went to Europe as well, on a no-strings deal, and IMO shouldn't play in our league.

I agree. Peter Forsberg, Mattias Timander and Mariusz Czerkawski all have deals for the entire 04/05 season with teams in the SEL and even if the lock-out will end, they will finish the season here in Sweden. Therefore I think they should be excluded from the hfnhl this coming season.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Keep it simple. Period.

Guys - again, lets keep it simple. Whether everyone agrees or not, at this point it doesn't make sense to start pulling players out because of contracts signed overseas due to the lock-out. I agree with Rich and Nick's posts.

Also realize that eliminating players would affect many GM's rosters significantly, and that would not be fair as we never stated that this would happen in the event of a lock-out last year. I am sure GM's would have made trades, signed/not signed players etc. to better prepare their rosters for this coming season.

So keep it simple, and fair to all franchises. I am sure there are GM's who would like to see the Forsbergs et. al. removed from playing in our league. No HFNHL teams should gain advantage or be disadvantaged from this year's unusual set of circumstances in the NHL.

My two cents,

Kruegs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->