Lockout pay reduced 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

The NHLPA has reduced players monthly pay by 50%, down to $5,000. So how long is this going last before the players have that epiphany that so many of us are waiting for? Not much longer IMO.

:lol

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
The NHLPA has reduced players monthly pay by 50%, down to $5,000. So how long is this going last before the players have that epiphany that so many of us are waiting for? Not much longer IMO.

This is horrible news. oh my , how ever will the poor players live on a mere FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS a month ? I feel so bad for them , it's a travesty I say , a travesty ! It's all the owners' fault , yes that's right, how dare the owners try to lockout the PRODUCT of the NHL just because the owners aren't making enough money . Think about the players , the hardship of living on a salary that could buy my car every month cash . Triple my salary is what these poor guys are making during the lockout!?!?!? Yup, I really do feel sorry for them now. Hard times, hard times

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Iconoclast said:

You have a source for that ??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Iconoclast said:
Thanks and no thank you on the Tissue ..

According to this Sportsnet article :

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h03259A

it sounds like the stipend pay has been from 5,000 - 10,000 ..

I just wanted to see if this was a recent move by the NHLPA as you make it sound regarding the reduction due to the Complaint being filed by the NHL, or if in fact it happened on its own .. Can't really tell by this article on the timing of the reduction as you put it ..

Regardless it doesn't seem to be an issue with the player being quoted in the article as he has no intention of becoming a replacement player so he has nothing to worry about when it comes to repayment of strike/lockout pay .. he doesn't even seem bothered that the amount was reduced to be honest from his comments.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
The Messenger said:
Thanks and no thank you on the Tissue ..

According to this Sportsnet article :

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h03259A

it sounds like the stipend pay has been from 5,000 - 10,000 ..

I just wanted to see if this was a recent move by the NHLPA as you make it sound regarding the reduction due to the Complaint being filed by the NHL, or if in fact it happened on its own .. Can't really tell by this article on the timing of the reduction as you put it ..

Regardless it doesn't seem to be an issue with the player being quoted in the article as he has no intention of becoming a replacement player so he has nothing to worry about when it comes to repayment of strike/lockout pay .. he doesn't even seem bothered that the amount was reduced to be honest from his comments.

Yeah, but right now a lot of these guys wouldn't say ____ ,even if they had a mouthful .

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
The players continue to shoot themselves in the foot. When they eventually sign a deal, they will be crying and screaming for 42.5 million. Goodenow has done a lot for the PA in his tenure, but in these negotiations his ego has completely hindered the process for his rank and file.

The PA will never see a cap over 40 million now, the entire world knew that, Goodenow freakin' knew it, he was just too big-headed to accept it, and now the owners have the PA by the throat, with owners certain there WILL be hockey this coming season, and the PR battle completely in the owners favor, the PA has been pillaged throughout this entire process, and this just adds to their demise.

The players need to sign a deal and get the game back on the ice, before their piece of the pie continues to shrink....

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
well if they keep halfing what they pay every month they'll have an unlimited supply of cash :)

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If Goodenow still thinks the owners are going to cave in, he's a delusional moron who should be tarred and feather at next year's All-Star game.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
:handclap: Good news

Eventually the money is going to run out.

Just another perspective...

Isn't it possible that they slashed the money going to the players in half so that their money can last twice as long? This would suggest that the players are planning on holding out even longer than we'd like.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The Macho Man said:

Isn't it possible that they slashed the money going to the players in half so that their money can last twice as long? This would suggest that the players are planning on holding out even longer than we'd like.

I think the amount got lowered to help them spread the dough around to more players - including cases where the player's prospects for playing in the NHL were somewhat marginal but as long as that player had some NHL games under his belt.

So it is doubtful that it was cut for the reasons you suggest at the time it was reduced.

MacDaddy TLC*

Jacobv2 said:
Marvelous!
better tighten those belts a few notches.... :shakehead

The Macho Man said:

Or they realize that they will have a hard time trying to collect from players that cross the picket line, so they are giving them less now.....

dirt

Jul 27, 2002
Trealor, Mo
Visit site
struckmatch said:
If Goodenow still thinks the owners are going to cave in, he's a delusional moron who should be tarred and feather at next year's All-Star game.
That could make All-Star weekend entertaining for a change.

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
Cutting the lockout pay also could have something to do with the fact that players normally aren't paid in the summer anyways and maybe it was always in the plan that the players would get less during the summer months and more during the months in which they normally were paid. None of us know if this was part of the original plan, in response to the NHL filing with the NLRB the other day, or just a way to make their money last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad