GDT: Lockout is over

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Hypothetically let's say we trade Tallinder and retain 2 mil of his salary. Does he count against our cap 2 mil or is the receiving team entitled to his full cap hit?

Again, I'm not 100% certain, so there's a chance I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, we get rid of the cap hit, like in a normal trade, but would be paying out the $2 mil in his salary. At least that's what I assume. I'm just not 100% sure and I don't know if that info is definitively out there. May be determined by the language of the CBA, or I may have missed something.

EDIT: And now I'm searching and can't find anything talking about this type of thing (retaining salary) one way or another. Anyone have any links to articles/reports about any of this? I'm now confused and need to read up on this since I have no idea anymore.

Last edited:

lboogie42*

THis has gotten me soo pumped for the NHL

Lets Go Devils !

everything was good and it brought back good memories. until i remembered how *lame that final game of the stanley cup was. that just made me angry lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Again, I'm not 100% certain, so there's a chance I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, we get rid of the cap hit, like in a normal trade, but would be paying out the $2 mil in his salary. At least that's what I assume. I'm just not 100% sure and I don't know if that info is definitively out there. May be determined by the language of the CBA, or I may have missed something.

EDIT: And now I'm searching and can't find anything talking about this type of thing (retaining salary) one way or another. Anyone have any links to articles/reports about any of this? I'm now confused and need to read up on this since I have no idea anymore.

I don't think that is correct.

Based on the tweets from yesterday, we would maintain the cap hit but not more than 50% of a single contract. We can only do that for three contacts with the limit of 15% of our total cap going toward this.

So we shed part of the salary and part of the cash.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Just wait till Burke (who has been lobbying it for years and pretty much wrote the rule) executes it by paying off salary/cap space to Vancouver for Luongo, we'll all find out how it works then :laugh:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think that is correct.

Based on the tweets from yesterday, we would maintain the cap hit but not more than 50% of a single contract. We can only do that for three contacts with the limit of 15% of our total cap going toward this.

So we shed part of the salary and part of the cash.

See, that makes more sense. The more I thought about it, the more what I was saying didn't seem to make sense. How would what I was saying be different than trading a guy and sending cash? Which I do believe was more than fine beforehand (although I don't know what limits existed). What you said seems feasible. Equally as confusing (until its acted upon and easier to see the effects of), but more feasible.

Just wait till Burke (who has been lobbying it for years and pretty much wrote the rule) executes it by paying off salary/cap space to Vancouver for Luongo, we'll all find out how it works then :laugh:

That's what I was banking on. Odds are someone would be utilizing this soon, be it Burke, something with Luongo (or both), or the Rangers and Redden.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
The example was a player and keeping 1M of a 5M contract so the incentive is you lose 4M from cap space for a player you struggled to move before and another team gets a good deal.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
The example was a player and keeping 1M of a 5M contract so the incentive is you lose 4M from cap space for a player you struggled to move before and another team gets a good deal.

So basically its trading part of the salary/part of the cap hit. Can only keep the smaller portion of the salary on your cap, but its better than nothing. Rangers have a better shot at unloading Redden since another team would only be taking 4 mil (roughly) in the cap hit instead of his 5+. Making sure I'm understanding this here.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
You're right but i would expect him to be bought out instead because they aren't too desperate for cap now and his amnesty buyout would leave zero cap hit instead

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can't buy Redden out till the summer. They're stuck with him this year unless some other team decides to trade for him paying half his salary/cap hit, or they keep him in CT saving a 'meager' amount (just under $1 million).

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I expect them to stick with it til the summer. Cap's $70 million this year, they have no reason to worry.

Might as well buy him out.
No one's going to want to trade for that contract, even what little remains.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Can't buy Redden out till the summer. They're stuck with him this year unless some other team decides to trade for him paying half his salary/cap hit, or they keep him in CT saving a 'meager' amount (just under $1 million).

I'm aware and i think a buyout is used on him.

apice3*

So pretty much whatever salary you retain in a trade is the cap hit you retain as well. It's like re-entry waivers without the waiving.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think the basics from the article are:

1) You can keep at most 50% the cap hit of a players contract.

2) You can only have 3 players who you're retaining salary and cap hit who aren't with you.

3) Any individual contract can only have salary/cap hit "kept" twice. So a third trade involving that player would not allow to have any "kept" cap/salary.

4) A team can never have more than 15% of the salary cap as "kept" cap.

------------------

The most confusing part is separating cap hit kept from actual dollars kept. The paper wrote it as you can keep 50% "of a contract" so I think if you want to keep 50% of the cap hit, you pay 50% of whatever real dollars that player would earn each season.

I don't think it's as complicated as it looks. In practice I don't think it will be used to great extent, except possibly next season as some bad contracts are moved around. It will more likely be used when teams close to the cap need a small amount of money "kept" by the other team to keep the trade fitting under the cap.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
everything was good and it brought back good memories. until i remembered how gay that final game of the stanley cup was. that just made me angry lol.

I saw this Video and i nearly had tears in my eyes. This was the most emotional trip i ever imagined with sports. the ot goal in game 7 vs florida...i was awake the whole night and sat in front of my pc, in my work clothes. i ate my breakfast...

and then, THE MUSKETEER SCOOOORES, **** damn i shouted out so loud i bet the whole house was awake, but i didnt give a flying ****.

oh damn how much i love this team. i get so damn emotional in each game. never had that with any sports before.

thanks for bringing back the memories...it was magical :handclap:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I think the basics from the article are:

1) You can keep at most 50% the cap hit of a players contract.

2) You can only have 3 players who you're retaining salary and cap hit who aren't with you.

3) Any individual contract can only have salary/cap hit "kept" twice. So a third trade involving that player would not allow to have any "kept" cap/salary.

4) A team can never have more than 15% of the salary cap as "kept" cap.

------------------

The most confusing part is separating cap hit kept from actual dollars kept. The paper wrote it as you can keep 50% "of a contract" so I think if you want to keep 50% of the cap hit, you pay 50% of whatever real dollars that player would earn each season.

I don't think it's as complicated as it looks. In practice I don't think it will be used to great extent, except possibly next season as some bad contracts are moved around. It will more likely be used when teams close to the cap need a small amount of money "kept" by the other team to keep the trade fitting under the cap.

It seems like its some kind of a hybrid of re-entry waivers and a buyout that can be used in-season (via trade). Or maybe its my analogy that is confusing me. I really think it will make far more sense once a team actually does it. I know the article outlines potential scenarios and the cap hits, but it would probably help seeing a trade done, with specific terms, and then looking on capgeek and seeing how the player is listed on both team's payrolls. And then of course things got really confusing when it said a team can do this with a given contract twice.... That's where they lost me. I assume it will make more sense once it is put in play though.

I saw this Video and i nearly had tears in my eyes. This was the most emotional trip i ever imagined with sports. the ot goal in game 7 vs florida...i was awake the whole night and sat in front of my pc, in my work clothes. i ate my breakfast...

and then, THE MUSKETEER SCOOOORES, **** damn i shouted out so loud i bet the whole house was awake, but i didnt give a flying ****.

oh damn how much i love this team. i get so damn emotional in each game. never had that with any sports before.

thanks for bringing back the memories...it was magical :handclap:

I still maintain that out of all of the Devils teams/seasons, last year was the one that I had the most fun watching. That has nothing to do with the style of play, and obviously not entirely on the end result (or it wouldn't be above my 4th favorite for obvious reasons). Maybe its piggy backing off of how much fun the 2nd half of the prior year was, but something about last year was just such an enjoyable ride. Probably the fact the team went into the playoffs as an underdog and went on that kind of a run only added to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad