Lockout good for small market teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
raketheleaves said:
Because it lets them develop their farms. No?

Could you please elaborate on your point. I believe that it is fair to say that all of the league's farm teams are stronger than usual (with NHL caliber players dotting the lineups). This better competition should improve players on all teams. Why so just the smaller market? Are you thinking that small market teams have traditionally been forced to bring up younger players too soon because of financial reasons?

jeffbear

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Short answer ... no.

Reason: Because the small market teams by and large are in non-traditional developing markets, and their fan bases are not deep enough to take the negative impact of a protracted work stoppage without dire consequences.

FlyersFan10*

Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market? I now live in Ottawa where, including suburbs, has a population base of one million people. Vancouver has a population base of almost two million people. Same for Montreal. Yet, those three markets are considered small markets. Someone please explain the rationale behind small markets because I think with markets of at least one million people, you're no longer a small market.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
FlyersFan10 said:
Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market? I now live in Ottawa where, including suburbs, has a population base of one million people. Vancouver has a population base of almost two million people. Same for Montreal. Yet, those three markets are considered small markets. Someone please explain the rationale behind small markets because I think with markets of at least one million people, you're no longer a small market.

It's a combination of thinks.

Things like disposable income come into play, accessability to the population, and attractiveness of the product to the population.

I mean, you could set up an igloo building competetion in NYC in Madison square gardens, but it doesn't mean people will pay a ticket to watch it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know about the lockout being good for small-market teams, but I think it IS good for teams that felt they were one year away from seriously competing for either A) a playoff spot or B) the Stanley Cup.

There are some teams who might have penciled in a player into their NHL lineup one year before the player was ready, and now they might get the player next year ready for prime time.

Let's just say that predicting the 2005-06 NHL standings, after a full one-year lockout, would be quite the exercise. Who knows what might happen.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's a combination of thinks.

Things like disposable income come into play, accessability to the population, and attractiveness of the product to the population.

I mean, you could set up an igloo building competetion in NYC in Madison square gardens, but it doesn't mean people will pay a ticket to watch it.

Ottawa has the highest disposable income in the country, and hockey is number 1 here. So does that make us a small market? I say yes, only population wise, but actual revenue generation, interest, rink/suites etc, we are definitely NOT a small hcokey market.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
scaredsensfan said:
Ottawa has the highest disposable income in the country, and hockey is number 1 here. So does that make us a small market? I say yes, only population wise, but actual revenue generation, interest, rink/suites etc, we are definitely NOT a small hcokey market.

Not in Canada, no... but even there you are about the 4th largest market (behind Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver), out of 6 teams.

Overall, you'd still be in the bottom half... and the revenue numbers support that.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market?

I think "small market teams" relates more to owners that want to run their teams like a business instead of a toy. Teams like DET, COL & STL all have owners that are willing to fund hockey operations. Those owners aren't necessarily worth more than the owners of teams like CAL, CHI or TB, but the latter teams operate on a budget.

Many "small market teams" are in actually in large metropolitan areas. Teams like CAR, FLA, ATL, & PHO all have a much larger population base to pull fans from compared to teams like MON & VAN. It's just that the "new" teams don't have as established a fan base becuase there is only 10 years of history instead of 30-80 years.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I don't know about the lockout being good for small-market teams, but I think it IS good for teams that felt they were one year away from seriously competing for either A) a playoff spot or B) the Stanley Cup.

There are some teams who might have penciled in a player into their NHL lineup one year before the player was ready, and now they might get the player next year ready for prime time.

Let's just say that predicting the 2005-06 NHL standings, after a full one-year lockout, would be quite the exercise. Who knows what might happen.

This was my point. The small market teams generally have more talent on the farm. This gives them time to develop it in a stronger AHL.

The established megarich teams players are generally older. A year off may or may not hurt them, it depends. But mentally, I think the younger players will retain their edge while the older guys might not. As we know, to win the cup you need an extra edge mentally.

As for losing fans, I think the small market teams will win them back because they will be more competitive in the short-term and if the NHL gets a good deal they'll be viable in the long run as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->