Lockout Discussion Thread 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Compliance buyouts were a given. You can't cut down the cap without having compliance buyouts and\or salary cut across the board, there has to be at least one of the two, it just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
So they're going to nitpick on getting more cash from a regular paycheck as opposed to getting it from escrow? They still get 50% of the revenues in this offer no? The players bought out would have gotten their salary otherwise off that 50%.

If you take that amount off the make hole it's pretty much the same, they'll get less reparation in favor of sacrificing some players' contracts, which they would have gotten with the sacrificed contracts not bought out anyway.

I still don't see a difference to make fuss about, but eh Fehr has an agenda that doesn't include playing hockey.

Agreed.

If history has taught us anything, he's going to accept certain concessions, and ask for more on other issues. Basically he'll most likely cherry pick from the current proposal, like he has on almost all the other proposals.

Apparently the PA is working on a counter off as we speak.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/nhlpa-reportedly-working-on-counteroffer/

Please have a season so they can humble you.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Would you prefer buying out Gomez or Kaberle?

It's going to be whichever player gets the most money from Molson coupled with his usefulness. Since the buyouts would happen before the 2013/2014 season, buying out Bourque would probably make the most sense.

Edit: You buy Gomez out with a regular buyout, at 1 season left for 4.5 mil nobody cares.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
So why didn't the players accept this time?

Probably because it just got submitted by the league, and not in the nature of negotiating to just "accept" an offer in a hasty manner.

And if your good negotiator, you propose counter offers, and work from there. But seems like every time a counter offer is proposed, talks stop right away, like if it was an insult to the NHL that the PA didn't accept right away, and like if the NHL thinks the PA won't modify their counter offer.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
You buy out the player who has absolutely no role on this team and that is Gomez.

Kaberle has a role, it's called Markov insurance and not rushing Beaulieu insurance.

Keep in mind that in 2013-14, the cap will be much lower since the 50/50 split will truly begin then. The NHL wants that 2013-14 cap number to be at most 60 M. The PA wants it to be higher, they proposed 67.5 M in their last offer, IIRC.

Without Gomez, we're at 49 M for 2013-14. With him, it's 56.3 M. Keep in mind we still have to sign Subban for that season and it's not counting Galchenyuk (who may count for the full 3.2 M if the bonus cushion is gone). Nor is it counting Desharnais who will be a RFA in position to cash in a year away from UFA. The numbers suggest getting that 7.3 M completely off the books is imperative for 2013-14.

Bourque can probably be dealt within a year when he has just over 2 years left if we pay a part of his salary (another new feature that I love in these CBA proposals). I would imagine someone would take him if they have to pay him 2 M per year for 2 more years.

68*

The NHL could be back, Gomez could be gone and we could get another high draft pick. ohlawd.jpg
This is the best Christmas gift ever.

68*

Holy **** I just texted some NHLers and this is really getting considered by the players.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So whats the plan, make counter offer that doesn't do what NHL asked for but takes what NHL has given?

I think this is nonsensical at this point. Both sides are being ridiculous, just accept the offer.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
So whats the plan, make counter offer that doesn't do what NHL asked for but takes what NHL has given?

I think this is nonsensical at this point. Both sides are being ridiculous, just accept the offer.

yea well, that's not how negotiating works. Both sides could of been working on the current offer months ago, if it wasn't for Media/PR games, and awful negotiating tactics of stopping talks because an offer was rejected with an counter offer.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Bourque can probably be dealt within a year when he has just over 2 years left if we pay a part of his salary (another new feature that I love in these CBA proposals). I would imagine someone would take him if they have to pay him 2 M per year for 2 more years.

I don't have a problem implementing your Bourque solution on Gomez before training camp even opens. ;) I'd prefer to buyout Bourque if we have just one buyout available.

Without knowing what the exact rules will be, I imagine all buyout candidates will have to clear waivers, so we can probably get a better player then Bourque right away.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Just press the button already.

71xoTm9qQgL._SL500_AA300_.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->