Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
What do you have to say about the Leafs' home playoff record under Keefe? Yup, me too, nothing good you can say about that. What is their record in game 7/ series deciding games? Do you see a pattern developing here? I do.
I am not absolving Keefe of his decisions. But at some point you have play with what you are given in the sandbox. The players don't play how Keefe wants them to play. They don't play playoff hockey (outside of of game 5, 6 and parts of 7). Finally.

The blame relies on the players, coaching, and management. I would argue more with management at this point given they're the ones who decided to re-run this same shit since 2021 (after the Montreal failure).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

1715017049532.gif

Can’t believe he actually said that.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It’s up to the players to execute and they don’t. So get rid of them. They can change management or coaching personnel but it’s up to each individual to row together to strive to win. Especially core players. There are flawed personalities and mentalities in this core of players that needs to be ridden of.
But the change needs to start at the top with Shanahan, then on to Sheldon and all the assistant coaches. Then Marner, who we will be lucky to get80 cents on the dollar for him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is it me or does this look like an exit interview regarding MM than the Leafs?
It seemed like every reporter is asking what do you think of MM to every Leafs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
But the problem is, I don't see this as a one year fix. When you step back and take a look, this team is a mess.

meh, it's actually not a mess TBH. You just have to rebuild the defense core smartly.

If I'm the GM, I take whatever money Bertuzzi wants and I'm throwing that at Brandon Montour if he becomes a UFA. You have internal options on leftwing, as much as I like Bertuzzi, you don't need him. Montour and a guy like Zadorov would be my two adds. Guys who can move the puck.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Goes to show you how much of a joke this team is around the league. And that's what they're saying in front of the cameras, I'm sure it's much worse when they're off.

Yet, we have some people in here open to bringing these losers back and actually feeling sorry for them LOLOLOLOL.

Reactions: egd27

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
I think his coaching record probably already does that. Yeah he's got a shitty playoff record, but look at what he's been able to do with the groups he's had. Can we honestly say he's had a good defense core up until this year? It's on Keefe to figure out how to make things work with what he's got, but he wasn't given much by management, so he rode his stars who then let him down. Time for something new, but it's not all on him!
His playoff record is shit. His home playoff record is beyond shit. His ability to motivate his guys is shit. His galaxy brained line matching and "take out the blender / throw shit at the wall" approach is shit. But the shittiest of all? His (in)ability to make adjustments when the current strategy isn't working. Kinda sounds like this entire organization, tbh. No wonder he's had such a long shelf life. Lmao

Keefe is a dog water coach, but you're right that it's not all on him. We have dog water management and our big guns have dog water personalities. A complete retool is required.

Reactions: francis246

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Sheldon Keefe EOY presser:
  • Today is always a difficult day. Worst day of the season. Should feel that way when you don't meet expectations. We are in the results business, and we didn't get results. As head coach, I take responsibility for that. It's not a good feeling. My job is to find solutions, and try to path ahead. I haven't done that. Took a step last year, and loved the resolve we showed this year. Clearly that's not enough, and that sits with me.
  • On the advantages of player exit interviews - each season is different. A lot of times you take direction of the GM on how they want to handle it. This season, it was just the coach, but less meetings. More casual conversations. Not much value in exit meetings. Moreso direction on offseason and training. More of a formality. Spoke with the team after Saturday, moreso than in seasons in the past. Let them know how I felt about the group. This is not a good day. Not a lot of productivity, but a chance to see the guys off and open door for more meaningful conversations moving forward.
  • On whether the lack of offense year after year is connected - You reflect and discuss it. Thinks that in each of those playoffs, you look at some of the missed opportunities - clean chances, breakaways, two-on-ones, rebounds that normally go in during the regular season but now they aren't. AS a coach, you think about how you can help your players through that and how you can generate more of it. Don't think they created enough of those chances. Faced a goaltender that put up great numbers. Part of that is on the goalie and opposition team, but my job is to find more ways to get through and generate more.
  • On opponents setting up so the Leafs "beat themselves" - on that comment, he meant teams sitting back in structure and being patient, and forcing you to make mistakes. We aren't unique in that sense, but ways to counter that are getting through the NZ quickly before structure is set, capitalizing on line changes, and getting to the net. Spending time on the inside. Thought as the series went on, felt they got better. Felt early in the series, they were getting plenty of looks in the inner slot as well. Thought they played much better defense, and showed great level of patience which is ultimately what it takes to win in the playoffs. Most disappointing is one shot away from getting away, and then the narrative changes - Leafs know how to play tight games, come back, win the right way. Felt after game 6 the best he's felt about the Leafs. Have to stick with that for the long haul
  • On what form him taking responsibility takes - looking for solutions, continuing to work, and build upon the things that were discussed. Felt this series was the best he felt about this group being able to play a playoff type of game consistently. Felt they came up big in big moments against Tampa, but in terms of their process and buyin for defending and physicality, that is the recipe for success. It takes what it takes. Felt his group took big steps.
  • On the OT winner - hasn't spent much time going through it. Their best player was flying through the NZ, and we didn't pick him out. Tough one, because I thought we did a great job defending through the NZ with structure, especially in Games 5 and 6. We didn't pick it up, and we didn't get a save.
  • On his expectation of returning next season - I'm in the coaching business. You don't get to make decisions on your position. Out of my control. My job is to find solutions and to create a path. Ownership and management make those decisions. I accept responsibility for not meeting results. I believe in myself, and I love coaching the Leafs. I believe, now more than ever, that we can win. The path always looks different, but you learn along the way, and I know I'm in a good place. My job is to continue improving as a coach, and take accountability for the fact that we haven't met expectations. I would certainly love the attention and focus to be on me as the leader.
  • On the PP struggles - In February, we were #1 in the NHL. We've been a top PP in the league for years. It was really good in the Tampa series. But like our overall offensive game in the playoffs, it hasn't executed. WE spent a lot of time searching for answers. Fact that it has looked elite, means you go to that and build trust towards that, which is difficult to do when it doesn't go well. Part of it is trusting in the plan - we tried different things around, and many different iterations to the first unit, but ultimately it comes down to execution and competitiveness. Winning faceoffs and puck battles, and then trusting and staying with it. The powerplay was good in game 7, just didn't score. There were times where the process was in place, but just didn't work.
  • On the criticism Marner is facing - Mitch is an exceptional player. Wants to win in Toronto. There's things that he did in the series that set us up for success. Took on tough roles, and helped stabilize the PK later in the series. THere's so many things he does that doesn't show up on the scoresheet. My job is to help our entire team, including Mitch, to come through in those moments, and I failed to do so, so I took responsibility for that.

Wow - that was... genuinely fantastic by Keefe. He might be out the door, but how f***ing refreshing is it to have someone actually take responsibility.
Sounds like he's falling on his sword for the players. I can respect that.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I am not absolving Keefe of his decisions. But at some point you have play with what you are given in the sandbox. The players don't play how Keefe wants them to play. They don't play playoff hockey (outside of of game 5, 6 and parts of 7). Finally.

The blame relies on the players, coaching, and management. I would argue more with management at this point given they're the ones who decided to re-run this same shit since 2021 (after the Montreal failure).
Keefe has been outcoached in every playoff series he's been in. That is telling enough.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What do you have to say about the Leafs' home playoff record under Keefe? Yup, me too, nothing good you can say about that. What is their record in game 7/ series deciding games? Do you see a pattern developing here? I do.

Berube has a bad one too... he just has a bad record in general...

hope you don't want him

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
People mocking the feelings and disappointment of the players or saying good are being pretty trashy imo.

We all wanted better. We all demand better. End of the day though these are still human beings. Failing to achieve their goal by a fair margin and sitting on the precipice of most likely having their core taken apart to some extent.

Being a frustrated fan doesn’t mean you have to abandon all empathy to the struggles of the players.
They got their Benjamin’s to console them, I’ll hold them accountable for another failure thank you very much…….

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
But the problem is, I don't see this as a one year fix. When you step back and take a look, this team is a mess.
Not really. Not as long as they can keep the defense corps intact. If you have a strong D Core, along with a #1 goalie, you will be in every game. You don't even need a true #1, just a 1B may suffice if you are facing shots from the outside all night.

They have a few leaks. These leaks ironically also happen to take a great deal of the cap space they need. Clean the space, find some UFAs or make trades.

The B.S was letting Dubas negotiate these contracts. You not only overpay but put in place a full NTC at the end? At the very least, it should have been a modified NTC for an RFA. Only the odd UFA should have a full NTC.

Last edited:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
meh, it's actually not a mess TBH. You just have to rebuild the defense core smartly.

If I'm the GM, I take whatever money Bertuzzi wants and I'm throwing that at Brandon Montour if he becomes a UFA. You have internal options on leftwing, as much as I like Bertuzzi, you don't need him. Montour and a guy like Zadorov would be my two adds. Guys who can move the puck.
Montour wants to be paid on his next contract and he is at least 30 years old. Can you honestly see that contract aging out well? As well, look at the cores' scoring numbers in a series in games 1-4 compared to the rest of the series. It doesn't look good.

How well has having half the cap tied up into two centers and two wingers worked out so far, and I'm not talking about the regular season?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think his coaching record probably already does that. Yeah he's got a shitty playoff record, but look at what he's been able to do with the groups he's had. Can we honestly say he's had a good defense core up until this year? It's on Keefe to figure out how to make things work with what he's got, but he wasn't given much by management, so he rode his stars who then let him down. Time for something new, but it's not all on him!
True to some extend.
Don’t want to go back to years ago and just take this year.
1. PP, I understand JT wins faceoffs but Bert is a much better front man. Don’t see why JT can’t switch with Bert on the fly when they need to bring the puck back into the zone.
2. Why was Calle on PP in Game 1 when Willie was sick?
3. Don’t see why he couldn’t just play the AM line with MM and Reilly on PP
4. He is a bad gambler, it seems like every time he gambles he loses more than wins.
I think his ideas on how to win the playoffs are good but he lacks the players to execute but great coaches will adjust and makes it work.

Reactions: francis246

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He should call Larry Murphy and see how he liked playing to boos every single shift………
That was an embarrassment to our franchise when the fans did that then. It would be an embarrassment again if it happened to Mitch

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Berube won a Cup with the Blues but don’t think he is the one for the Leafs. Would prefer Q

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Wouldn't be at all surprising to see Shanahan fired and Treliving given the Presidents role.
He could then shop for a GM and Coach.

I don't think I'd have a problem with this. It's worth a shot and it's clear Shanahan needs to move on.

EDIT: thinking about this at length, BT does have experience working under hands-on ownership and he has seen what kind of problems that can cause, so maybe he would be a nice bridge between Pelley/ownership and hockey?

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad