Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
My son pointed out that Dubas gave up on the larger prospects much sooner than the tiny Nic Petan's of the world. We saw Marchment traded...Brazeau let go...Dakota Joshua let go etc. But we kept hanging on to Joey Duszak (A tiny puck mover)...the afore mentioned Petan....Malgin had several kicks at the can...he kept doing it for a long time in hopes he would prove his skill over everything vision.
I am so glad Dubas is gone. Now it's Shanahan's turn/time to go!

Reactions: Suntouchable13

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Though if he was mentally prepared to move then, I'm not sure if he would be against it now. Especially if they communicate he's not getting an 8 year deal.

That said, I see a number of potential scenarios with Marner playing out, including with him staying
If I'm the GM, I'm telling Mitch the following:

- You want to resign in Toronto? $5M, take it or leave it. Bertuzzi had more points than you and he makes $5.5M.
- If that's not good enough, waive your NMC so that I can get you out of town and off my team. You can go fishing for $12M in Utah.
- If you won't waive your NMC, you're sitting in the press box for the entire 24-25 season (or until you do waive) - either way, you're not wearing our sweater again.
- GTFO.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
While Keefe has his blunders and quirks, I think he's done everything he can at this point. He said similar things in 2021 "We don't score enough playoff goals". Shocker.... It's the same this year.

I think the personnel has tuned him out and/or don't want to play the game how he wants to play. I do want him gone though.
A big problem is when addressing the media on how to create more offence, they ignore the elephant in the room. The core is not capable of dump and chase hockey. You need that in the playoffs. It’s blah, blah, line changes, puck management, whatever.

Boston knew it was a low scoring game so they were comfortable dumping the puck in knowing that they could win possession of it 80% of the time. This core needs to add more dump and chase to their playoffs. Some of the core avoid board battles and 1 on 1 retrieval like the plague.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think Keefe is a good coach. Good guy. But there comes a time when a org. needs a new voice because its run its course. The results havent been there in playoffs. We arent trading the entire team. I think hes fired by Wednesday

agreed, these guys better go give keefe a hug and thank him. He threw himself on the grenade today for all those guys.

Keefe is going to get hired quickly somewhere else. Two vacancies today, I could see him being a fit with the Winnipeg Jets.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
While Keefe has his blunders and quirks, I think he's done everything he can at this point. He said similar things in 2021 "We don't score enough playoff goals". Shocker.... It's the same this year.

I think the personnel has tuned him out and/or don't want to play the game how he wants to play. I do want him gone though.
What do you have to say about the Leafs' home playoff record under Keefe? Yup, me too, nothing good you can say about that. What is their record in game 7/ series deciding games? Do you see a pattern developing here? I do.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I just hope the leafs get something for Marner, it would be shitty if he played this season, and walks as UFA, I mean its a real possibility

Not the end of the world. The Isles made it to the conference finals after losing Tavares for nothing.

Reactions: mogs

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This "it's time to move on" should be said to a number of players.

Their Defense being re-signed should be priority number one. Then trying to move Marner and/or JT. I'd also try to move Reilly. Time to take the kid gloves off and the rose colored glasses.

Time to shake this dust off this core. Bring in the same types, don't deviate from the playoff blueprint.

I saw how Vegas built their team. The Leafs just need to proper power forward. Assume McMann is healthy next year, Knies is a year older. Pick up similar types such as Bert and Domi who get in the blue paint, cause havok, play North/South.

Marner should be gone even if it means putting him on waivers or letting him walk. JT fullfilled his contract, he has a year max left.

Marner can still get us good value. Especially if we can trade him to a team with pre signed contract

I look at Pittsburgh for a good one of those stars whom are aging.

But it's time to move on from him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
A big problem is when addressing the media on how to create more offence, they ignore the elephant in the room. The core is not capable of dump and chase hockey. You need that in the playoffs. It’s blah, blah, line changes, puck management, whatever.

Boston knew it was a low scoring game so they were comfortable dumping the puck in knowing that they could win possession of it 80% of the time. This core needs to add more dump and chase to their playoffs. Some of the core avoid board battles and 1 on 1 retrieval like the plague.

They dumped it in because our D can't clear it... if we had D that were able to get the puck out and transition quickly, it'd be a different story.

Dump and chase hockey is not playoff hockey... it is a tactic to use on certain teams.

Reactions: danron1376

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Did anybody ask these guys what they feel like with everybody clowning them? What were their thoughts on Marchand saying the series is over in 5? What were their thoughts on Tkachuk stating the Panthers knew the Bruins would win? What motivates these guys besides big contracts? Do they care about how they are perceived around the league?

The idea that this is a tough market to play in is an absolute joke. These guys are coddled.

Reactions: Budz

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
This "it's time to move on" should be said to a number of players.

Their Defense being re-signed should be priority number one. Then trying to move Marner and/or JT. I'd also try to move Reilly. Time to take the kid gloves off and the rose colored glasses.

Time to shake this dust off this core. Bring in the same types, don't deviate from the playoff blueprint.

I saw how Vegas built their team. The Leafs just need to proper power forward. Assume McMann is healthy next year, Knies is a year older. Pick up similar types such as Bert and Domi who get in the blue paint, cause havok, play North/South.

Marner should be gone even if it means putting him on waivers or letting him walk. JT fullfilled his contract, he has a year max left.
But the problem is, I don't see this as a one year fix. When you step back and take a look, this team is a mess.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Your 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs2324.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Man's trying to look good for future employers. :laugh:

I think his coaching record probably already does that. Yeah he's got a shitty playoff record, but look at what he's been able to do with the groups he's had. Can we honestly say he's had a good defense core up until this year? It's on Keefe to figure out how to make things work with what he's got, but he wasn't given much by management, so he rode his stars who then let him down. Time for something new, but it's not all on him!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sammy blew it, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy. He seems like a nice enough guy who just isn't cut out for this level. He did his best with what he has, unfortunately that's just not good enough, but seems like a good enough guy who loves Toronto.
The Leafs scored one goal in the 3 of the 4 losses but Sammy blew it. What a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad