Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
He's eligible to be re-signed this July 1st?
Next July 1st. After '25/'26 season he is a UFA.

He may very well resign in Edmonton, and my gut says he will. But I am sure someone at MLSE has a spreadsheet somewhere.....

Imagine that ROI on THAT contract. Probably the #1 selling Leaf jersey of all time withing a month.....

Reactions: ACC1224

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No, it's accurate... McDavid will be eligible to sign an extension from July 1st 2025, on his contract that expires July 1st 2026... when he would become an UFA if he doesn't extend.
What year are we in?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No, it's accurate... McDavid will be eligible to sign an extension from July 1st 2025, on his contract that expires July 1st 2026... when he would become an UFA if he doesn't extend.

No, we are in 2024 right now, not 2025

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Campbell was also a very nice guy. Good team player. Unfortunately, it's a performance based industry

I wish him all the best. But we need to move on
This "it's time to move on" should be said to a number of players.

Their Defense being re-signed should be priority number one. Then trying to move Marner and/or JT. I'd also try to move Reilly. Time to take the kid gloves off and the rose colored glasses.

Time to shake this dust off this core. Bring in the same types, don't deviate from the playoff blueprint.

I saw how Vegas built their team. The Leafs just need to proper power forward. Assume McMann is healthy next year, Knies is a year older. Pick up similar types such as Bert and Domi who get in the blue paint, cause havok, play North/South.

Marner should be gone even if it means putting him on waivers or letting him walk. JT fullfilled his contract, he has a year max left.

Reactions: fahad203

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Regarding the Mitch god comment about the Leafs being looked at like gods. He's just awkward and uncomfortable. That's a pass, I get his meaning. The Leafs are the centre of the entire sport, we'd build statues if we simply made the finals.

He didn't say, "I am like a god". :laugh:

He did look near tears and wanted to get out of there asap
He could had just said, I love being a Leafs as I grew up a Leafs fans and meant the World to me.

Anyhow, we all know he ain’t the brightest when it comes to interviews

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
It’s up to the players to execute and they don’t. So get rid of them. They can change management or coaching personnel but it’s up to each individual to row together to strive to win. Especially core players. There are flawed personalities and mentalities in this core of players that needs to be ridden of.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Regarding the Mitch god comment about the Leafs being looked at like gods. He's just awkward and uncomfortable. That's a pass, I get his meaning. The Leafs are the centre of the entire sport, we'd build statues if we simply made the finals.

He didn't say, "I am like a god". :laugh:

He did look near tears and wanted to get out of there asap
I feel for him because he just looks so uncomfortable in every interview he does. As a result, he ends up fumbling his words or likely speaking before thinking. I can't believe they haven't gotten him more media training.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I feel for him because he just looks so uncomfortable in every interview he does. As a result, he ends up fumbling his words or likely speaking before thinking. I can't believe they haven't gotten him more media training.
You have to be smart enough and comfortable enough to retain training if you get it

I'm sure they run through some media training every Fall, likely heavier with the core guys

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sammy blew it, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy. He seems like a nice enough guy who just isn't cut out for this level. He did his best with what he has, unfortunately that's just not good enough, but seems like a good enough guy who loves Toronto.
Other games, sure. Game 7, not at all. The Leafs were hoping Woll could play game 7 and Samsonov posted a 0.935 save % and kept them in it when they needed him most.

Now the offence and PP on the other hand…

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He’s the Russian Jack Campbell. Borscht.

He’s had some good stretches and is nice enough but you never know what you’re gonna get from him.
Bits and bites, every handful is a whole different ballgame……..

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
As much as keefe should go, he wasn’t the one who constructed the team and handed out contracts. It’s always been a poorly constructed team while keefe has been here.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Before the NMC

Completely different environment now.

Though if he was mentally prepared to move then, I'm not sure if he would be against it now. Especially if they communicate he's not getting an 8 year deal.

That said, I see a number of potential scenarios with Marner playing out, including with him staying

Reactions: Gallagbi

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He would have had tons of media training. He's just not very bright and he's in a profession where he doesn't need to be.

Reactions: egd27 and Gallagbi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Campbell was also a very nice guy. Good team player. Unfortunately, it's a performance based industry

I wish him all the best. But we need to move on
Roger that, but being likeable amongst this bunch is a rarity……..

Reactions: fahad203

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The PR team might think MM is close, as he is right there, and it is a good lesson, the team also believe in MM and he doesn’t need to do anything different…

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I think Keefe is a good coach. Good guy. But there comes a time when a org. needs a new voice because its run its course. The results havent been there in playoffs. We arent trading the entire team. I think hes fired by Wednesday

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's hard to have empathy for these guys feeling sad and down on themselves when every single year they've been here, a group of expendable plugs and staff gets cycled in and out to maintain their little fiefdom. Do none of those guys matter? The lack of perspective is insane. The organization has coddled these guys way too long.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sounds like it’s good I didn’t waste my time watching that drivel

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sheldon Keefe EOY presser:
  • Today is always a difficult day. Worst day of the season. Should feel that way when you don't meet expectations. We are in the results business, and we didn't get results. As head coach, I take responsibility for that. It's not a good feeling. My job is to find solutions, and try to path ahead. I haven't done that. Took a step last year, and loved the resolve we showed this year. Clearly that's not enough, and that sits with me.
  • On the advantages of player exit interviews - each season is different. A lot of times you take direction of the GM on how they want to handle it. This season, it was just the coach, but less meetings. More casual conversations. Not much value in exit meetings. Moreso direction on offseason and training. More of a formality. Spoke with the team after Saturday, moreso than in seasons in the past. Let them know how I felt about the group. This is not a good day. Not a lot of productivity, but a chance to see the guys off and open door for more meaningful conversations moving forward.
  • On whether the lack of offense year after year is connected - You reflect and discuss it. Thinks that in each of those playoffs, you look at some of the missed opportunities - clean chances, breakaways, two-on-ones, rebounds that normally go in during the regular season but now they aren't. AS a coach, you think about how you can help your players through that and how you can generate more of it. Don't think they created enough of those chances. Faced a goaltender that put up great numbers. Part of that is on the goalie and opposition team, but my job is to find more ways to get through and generate more.
  • On opponents setting up so the Leafs "beat themselves" - on that comment, he meant teams sitting back in structure and being patient, and forcing you to make mistakes. We aren't unique in that sense, but ways to counter that are getting through the NZ quickly before structure is set, capitalizing on line changes, and getting to the net. Spending time on the inside. Thought as the series went on, felt they got better. Felt early in the series, they were getting plenty of looks in the inner slot as well. Thought they played much better defense, and showed great level of patience which is ultimately what it takes to win in the playoffs. Most disappointing is one shot away from getting away, and then the narrative changes - Leafs know how to play tight games, come back, win the right way. Felt after game 6 the best he's felt about the Leafs. Have to stick with that for the long haul
  • On what form him taking responsibility takes - looking for solutions, continuing to work, and build upon the things that were discussed. Felt this series was the best he felt about this group being able to play a playoff type of game consistently. Felt they came up big in big moments against Tampa, but in terms of their process and buyin for defending and physicality, that is the recipe for success. It takes what it takes. Felt his group took big steps.
  • On the OT winner - hasn't spent much time going through it. Their best player was flying through the NZ, and we didn't pick him out. Tough one, because I thought we did a great job defending through the NZ with structure, especially in Games 5 and 6. We didn't pick it up, and we didn't get a save.
  • On his expectation of returning next season - I'm in the coaching business. You don't get to make decisions on your position. Out of my control. My job is to find solutions and to create a path. Ownership and management make those decisions. I accept responsibility for not meeting results. I believe in myself, and I love coaching the Leafs. I believe, now more than ever, that we can win. The path always looks different, but you learn along the way, and I know I'm in a good place. My job is to continue improving as a coach, and take accountability for the fact that we haven't met expectations. I would certainly love the attention and focus to be on me as the leader.
  • On the PP struggles - In February, we were #1 in the NHL. We've been a top PP in the league for years. It was really good in the Tampa series. But like our overall offensive game in the playoffs, it hasn't executed. WE spent a lot of time searching for answers. Fact that it has looked elite, means you go to that and build trust towards that, which is difficult to do when it doesn't go well. Part of it is trusting in the plan - we tried different things around, and many different iterations to the first unit, but ultimately it comes down to execution and competitiveness. Winning faceoffs and puck battles, and then trusting and staying with it. The powerplay was good in game 7, just didn't score. There were times where the process was in place, but just didn't work.
  • On the criticism Marner is facing - Mitch is an exceptional player. Wants to win in Toronto. There's things that he did in the series that set us up for success. Took on tough roles, and helped stabilize the PK later in the series. THere's so many things he does that doesn't show up on the scoresheet. My job is to help our entire team, including Mitch, to come through in those moments, and I failed to do so, so I took responsibility for that.

Wow - that was... genuinely fantastic by Keefe. He might be out the door, but how f***ing refreshing is it to have someone actually take responsibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad