Locker Clean Out Day 1, 4/17/2024; Day 2 4/18/2024

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I feel really bad for Don, I do. He's a really good man and helped pulled this franchise out of perpeutal shit. He had just reached his limit with us. I hate when people are saying he was a bad coach or should've never been the coach. I think he was the right guy for where we were at the time.

But I f***ing love that Adams fired him before locker clean out and is making these guys face the media about it.
Yup. I really loved his approach early on, as he had to pull most of the roster out of the the Krueger morass. He made a number of players viable again (Dahlin especially), and put a number in positions to succeed (Thompson, Skinner). He just could not turn on the switch of accountability when players did not perform, and he failed to make corrections to his staff when the deficiencies became blatantly apparent.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Firing Don is like any number of well liked or even beloved QBs of the drought era. Was sad to see it happen to a good person. Was sad to see my hope in that person not be realized. But they don’t tack on 9 points to your season total for having the most liked coach. Until the next coach is named I remain worried.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Some may consider this a small or nothing thing…but this is what I was hoping to hear from Tuch. Last year he was banged up…went and played anyway…and spent all year this season…banged up. He needs to take every day off that he can get for his body. Not play in offseason tournaments when he’s clearly not right

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

And this is why the fans booed. Too many 'off nights' and not enough 'we're willing to bleed on this ice to make a play'. I really wish Adams would've fired Granato when this issue was apparent in December.

Im glad he did it, though. Hopefully, he makes changes in the locker-room. The bottom 6 needs to be revamped, and Im glad he mentioned that, but I think the top-6 needs a change, too.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I may be nit-picking but Tuch’s comment doesn’t sit well with me. They are craving accountability? Are they not professional athletes? Can’t they be accountable to each other?

If that is the case, do the Sabres really have a Captain candidate within that room?
He's really just saying "we need a coach who has the balls to bench Jeff Skinner."

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I think based on Dahlin and Tuch’s comments today that as players they can really only do so much. If you’re a hardworking employee but your employer consistently rewards a shit employee, how can there be any accountability?

I’m also very disappointed in the older group that was here (Okposo, Z, Johnson) because it feels like to me that those guys kinda checked out of the accountability role once they figured out Don couldn’t hack it there.

Also, I really wish Adams fired Don earlier but it’s over and done with now. Here’s to bringing in a good coach and good offseason roster building.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think guys got comfortable this year, especially with some new contracts, and just figured they'd make the playoffs.

That ties in with Adams comment yesterday that they hadn't earned anything. They haven't. They got close and failed, then seemed like they took the summer casually and wound up even further back.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
That ties in with Adams comment yesterday that they hadn't earned anything. They haven't. They got close and failed, then seemed like they took the summer casually and wound up even further back.
As important as adding talent / finding a coach is, the MOST important thing this summer was always going to be the core guys progressing. They're the real reason there's no playoffs.

Dahlin played well, but also below my standard for him, which is a top 5 NHL dman.

Power played ok, is young, and on a different timetable from the rest. I expect him to be better next year.

Cozens was awful and knows it, time to re-focus.

Tuch was either slow to start, or hurt, regardless, his impact wasn't felt until it was too late.

Tage had multiple injuries, but you could see at better health towards the end, Tage is still Tage. Need him healthy.

Sammy needs to get and stay healthy. Too young to break this many times this early bud.

Skinner is trending to be a problem, but they have multiple solutions if needed.

The rest aren't core, and should be fighting to become core, because core = 8 figure deal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

That falls alot on Adams as well thru his comments about relying on internal growth and not having any competition in training camp. Complacency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad