OT: Local Hockey Thread

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
Message of the day (from the Brandon ISF): "We will no longer be checking in the rec league at the Ban/Mid age. This decision was based off of all of the fights, roughing, 3rd man in penalties that were given out this season."

Time to find my kid another rink? How can you develop kids without checking being introduced at any level at all?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Message of the day (from the Brandon ISF): "We will no longer be checking in the rec league at the Ban/Mid age. This decision was based off of all of the fights, roughing, 3rd man in penalties that were given out this season."

Time to find my kid another rink? How can you develop kids without checking being introduced at any level at all?

That isn't hockey. I understand banning fighting, but banning hitting takes away such a large element of the sport.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
That isn't hockey. I understand banning fighting, but banning hitting takes away such a large element of the sport.

Agreed! How else is a kid supposed to learn it with the hopes of making it to a higher level. Not that I pressure him at all, he plays because it's an activity he enjoys. As a Defenseman, he was really bummed when I told him that checking is being taken away (yet again...USA Hockey made their move right before he got to Peewee). His words were "but its part of the game!"

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Agreed! How else is a kid supposed to learn it with the hopes of making it to a higher level. Not that I pressure him at all, he plays because it's an activity he enjoys. As a Defenseman, he was really bummed when I told him that checking is being taken away (yet again...USA Hockey made their move right before he got to Peewee). His words were "but its part of the game!"

How is a kid expected to play defense then? Just do the Victor Hedman and flail your stick back and forth?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Anywhere know where to donate used but functional adult equipment that can be used your high school or adult players just starting to play? If so email me [email protected]

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Long shot in posting this. I'm a captain of a tournament team for this Saturday in Brandon, and our goaltender just backed out. Was seeing if any goalie want's to play this Saturday. 3 to 4 games, 4 on 4, two periods instead of three. I won't be charging the netminder. It is about a C level. Anyone interested?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Found a goalie, looking for a player. 48 bucks is the cost, 3 to 4 games. It is about a C level of play. It is in Brandon Tomorrow. Message me if interested.

Lord Moriarty007

Lets go Avs & Bolts!
May 1, 2013
Denver, CO/Orlando,FL
New hockey ring getting built in Orlando Area!

125,000 square foot hockey and training facility in Winter Garden, FL, that will be called the Orlando Hockey Center. The multi-purpose community Practice Facility center will include two sheets of ice and will be developed on 16 acres of land on East Crown Point Road off of the Plant Street exit from State Route 429, which is only a 15 minute drive from downtown Orlando.

Don't have to use RDV any more.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Long shot but does anyone want to join a d league ice hockey team in Brandon?

I was planning on joining up when the next season starts. I played roller a lot when I was young and I can skate decently. Think I can get away with skipping Beginner?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I used to play in the B and B+ league, but I tore my AC ligament in my shoulder about five months ago. I haven't played ice since, but I have played roller and been tearing it up. I miss the ice, but I am scared to come back because of the physicality in the leagues I played in. My shoulder is no where near the same, and still hurts/aches at times. It hurts sometimes just to shoot the light roller puck, and I have to ice it after each game. I would like to fill in some lower leagues and just have fun while enjoying some relaxed hockey. Finnie will never allow that lol.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Anyone interested in playing pick up at Amalie? $100 comes with 2 tickets to the game that night. D/C level. Let me know.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
For two days there has been a pack of 3 of those tall birds with the red things on their heads making circuits around the neighborhood making all sorts of ungodly noise. I want to wring their ****ing necks and throw them into the lake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad