local broadcasting revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
WINNIPEGJETS said:
I know that national broadcasting revenue in the NHL is almost nothing but I'm curious to know if any one has info on local broadcasting revenue for the various teams for the last completed season...

would definitely be interesting to see... obviously some teams are making a ton of cash off of local TV revenue. the Flyers, for example, own their own TV-station (CSN) and thus get all the revenue straight to the parent company comcast. their radio revenue is also significant in comparison to other teams is my understanding. generally speaking the tv viewership in philly has the Flyers second only to the Eagles, so they aren't hurting for viewers.

however, the issue of money from local TV is a complicated one due to this issue of station ownership... contentious issue in baseball as well. teams that have the ability to operate their own station make a killing...

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
some surprising figures are ...

islanders $ 16 million per year
penguins $ 10 million per year

i've misplaced the links but these have been posted here before.

SedinFan*

hawker14 said:
some surprising figures are ...

islanders $ 16 million per year

i've misplaced the links but these have been posted here before.

More than I would have thought.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
Yea and the Oilers and Flames get about 2-3 million a year, pretty low compared to the other teams

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Boozers said:
Yea and the Oilers and Flames get about 2-3 million a year, pretty low compared to the other teams

lol, and it looks like the national canadian contract (CBC) will now be subsidizing US teams !!!

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Wow that is a lot more than I anticipated. Anyone have the link for all the teams? I know the Red Wings get $5 mil a year for radio but I'm not sure about tv.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
the isles get alot from FSNY , but their long term lease with SMG prevents them from making $$ from concessions , parking etc..--this is where the isles lose money

I guess Pickett didnt forsee the day when payrolls would exceed his cash cow t.v deal with FSNY

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
hawker14 said:

That does suprise me, i thought the Penguins where still working under one of the terrible deals the old owners made.

He sold the TV rights for an extended period (10 years i believe) for a large up front sum that was used to prop the team up for another year or two before it went into bankrupcy.

If the Pens are clear of that deal the figure may sound hight but it likely isnt as the Penguins local TV ratings are in the top 3rd for NHL teams.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
davemess said:
That does suprise me, i thought the Penguins where still working under one of the terrible deals the old owners made.

He sold the TV rights for an extended period (10 years i believe) for a large up front sum that was used to prop the team up for another year or two before it went into bankrupcy.

If the Pens are clear of that deal the figure may sound hight but it likely isnt as the Penguins local TV ratings are in the top 3rd for NHL teams.

I have heard quoted on these boards that the Pens have something like the 4th highest television ratings of local Fox broadcasts. Perhaps a slightly deceiving figure as I am not sure if Fox broadcasts to all or any markets in Canada, but still an impressive number.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Zack Attack said:
More than I would have thought.

The Pens have very high local TV ratings. At one point in the mid-late 90's, they were in the top 3 of all Fox Sports local channels.

The are still likely near the top of the local ratings numbers, despite their record.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Dallas gets very high ratings (and there for, revenue) from Fox Sports Southwest. I don't know the number off the top of my head, but I know they have one of the best local TV deals in the league.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
davemess said:

The deal you are thinking of expired when Roger Marino still owned the team IIRC. Howard Baldwin was the owner when the old deal was initiated. When the Pens were officially moved to FoxSports Pittsburgh, they became one of the highest revene teams in the league in regards to local broadcasting revenue.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
id be curious what the sportsnet deals are in canada, more specifically what the regional sportsnet deals are worth.... one would think that the ontario (laffs, sens) deal would be more than the west deal (flames, oilers), but by how much? and in the west region, sportsnet shows a lot more oiler games than it does flames games, so does edmonton see a relative increase in their percentage of the TV money?

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
ArtG said:
I know the Canadian teams definitely make a nice sum

Not really man Leafs and Canadians make a nice amount especially the leafs, but the oilers and flames again only make between 2-3 Canucks may get more however

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jester said:
would definitely be interesting to see... obviously some teams are making a ton of cash off of local TV revenue. the Flyers, for example, own their own TV-station (CSN) and thus get all the revenue straight to the parent company comcast. their radio revenue is also significant in comparison to other teams is my understanding. generally speaking the tv viewership in philly has the Flyers second only to the Eagles, so they aren't hurting for viewers.

however, the issue of money from local TV is a complicated one due to this issue of station ownership... contentious issue in baseball as well. teams that have the ability to operate their own station make a killing...

the tricky part with teams like the rangers & flyers owning their own tv station is that they can basically 'hide' ALL of the tv revenue...if the team and network were own separately you would have a clear cut amount paid to air the games, a certain breakdown of advertising revenue, etc. but cablevision and comcast would be paying themselve by taking $$ from one pocket and putting it in the other. so they can set it up where the team makes no tv revenue...

with the rangers, they don't breakdown msg network into the knicks, rangers, etc it is just one network which means you have no way of telling what part is from the rangers. if you look at the overall cablevision books it is all accounted for, but if you look at the isolate rangers book the revenue is understated.

NYIsles1*

The Isles television agreement pays them 300m until the year 2030. The Devils just received a significant bump last summer from 8m so Msg could keep the rights for a twenty year extension to keep them from partnering with the Mets.

Today Msg pays out more to the Isles and Devils than they will take in with the Rangers and overall lose money on hockey tv rights, especially with Rupert Murdoch dissolving the Fox-Msg merger with baseball advertisers leaving this fall when the Mets contract expires and they start their own network.

This dates back to 2003 when things were much better.
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/8-10cba.htm

The New York Rangers are estimated to pull in $25 million per year from local rights. So do the Boston Bruins. Toronto gets $23 million. Montreal gets $16 million.

The Dallas Stars get big bucks in local TV revenue thanks to owner Tom Hicks' 15-year, $550 million deal with Fox Sports to broadcast both the Stars and Texas Rangers baseball games on a local and regional level.

But not every NHL team pulls in big dollars from local TV. Some of the smaller market teams in the U.S. pull in less a $1 million per year from local broadcast rights.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Boozers said:
Not really man Leafs and Canadians make a nice amount especially the leafs, but the oilers and flames again only make between 2-3 Canucks may get more however
really? I thought the flames & oil made more...

as for the Canucks I'm pretty sure it's around 10+ million... I remember an article last year that noted they were getting the highest ratings in the country.

NYIsles1*

NYR469 said:
the tricky part with teams like the rangers & flyers owning their own tv station is that they can basically 'hide' ALL of the tv revenue...if the team and network were own separately you would have a clear cut amount paid to air the games, a certain breakdown of advertising revenue, etc. but cablevision and comcast would be paying themselve by taking $$ from one pocket and putting it in the other. so they can set it up where the team makes no tv revenue...

with the rangers, they don't breakdown msg network into the knicks, rangers, etc it is just one network which means you have no way of telling what part is from the rangers. if you look at the overall cablevision books it is all accounted for, but if you look at the isolate rangers book the revenue is understated.
How can revenue be understated from a team with an 80m dollar product that only drew ratings equal to 60,000 homes (0.75) on Msg in 2003-04 and generated only 85.5m in revenue with an 80m dollar payroll?

Levitt had no problems with the Rangers television revenue or outright stating they lost money.

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcripts/levitt_radio_transcript100104.html

Levitt: Yes, they do lose money and I did see those numbers. And we accounted for those numbers -- we accounted for revenue that went to television ownership that the club has -- there are a number of clubs that own their own television stations and their own arenas.

Watters: What about television -- the television market in New York. Do the Rangers as a hockey club receive a fair market value for their television rights from MSG Inc. Or were you able to ascertain that?

Levitt: We were able to account for television revenue received by the Rangers by setting up a template which compared revenue for various clubs in different markets. We were able to account for it and we did account for it.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Slangston_Hughes said:
I think Empire was set to pay $8.5 million for the Sabres broadcasting rights.

Didnt Empire go off the air?

Along the lines of TV rights, I think we can throw PPV into that. All of the Canucks, Flames and Oilers did PPV broadcasts in 2003-04, with the Canucks, and a couple of Flames games being broadcast at theatres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->