Live report from the Flyers practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger's Pancreas*

SectionX said:
actually the swedish management was ready to replace Forsberg as of today, but it was Forsberg who begged for 2-3 more days.

"I want to skate up for sweden a last time with sundin and lidstrom he said"

I'm not talking about Management, I'm talking about all the fans of Sweden that want him to go. When you have a papparazzi like Forsberg does, it's gnerally because the people can't get enough of you. If he goes to Sweden I want him to do it because he's healthy and wants to put on a show for Sweden.

SChan*

Panasonic Youth said:
I'm not talking about Management, I'm talking about all the fans of Sweden that want him to go. When you have a papparazzi like Forsberg does, it's gnerally because the people can't get enough of you. If he goes to Sweden I want him to do it because he's healthy and wants to put on a show for Sweden.

he is a god here. Can you blame us?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Jester said:
try to justify it all you want... if you can't lace 'em up for an employer that is paying you 5 million dollars, you shouldn't be lacing 'em up for free for someone else.
Lol, I thought the problem was the opposite.. players who are not injured to play for the Flyers at the moment but who will be 'injured' to play one week later at the Olympics..

It seems you miss the Olympics won’t be played in the same days Forsberg sit out games for the players. If he is still injured when the Flyers play a game he sits out; if he has recovered when the Olympic games are played he will play. Hardly anything wrong with that.

Jester said:
but clearly we have different justifications for our thinking.
like some regular season games being more important (for a team that is not risking to miss the playoffs) than the Olympics? :sarcasm:

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
helicecopter said:
Lol, I thought the problem was the opposite.. players who are not injured to play for the Flyers at the moment but who will be 'injured' to play one week later at the Olympics..

It seems you miss the Olympics won’t be played in the same days Forsberg sit out games for the players. If he is still injured when the Flyers play a game he sits out; if he has recovered when the Olympic games are played he will play. Hardly anything wrong with that.

like some regular season games being more important (for a team that is not risking to miss the playoffs) than the Olympics? :sarcasm:

first paragraph was just... worth ignoring.

yeah... i miss the point that the NHL is shutting down. you're right, that did escape my notice. if you can't dress at 100% prior to the Olympics starting, you should shut it down and rest up... so that you are 100% when the Olympics are over.

do you need the importance of home-ice explained to you?

brian822

Jun 20, 2005
If Forsberg plays in the Olympics I will be very suprised. The swedish newspapers can say all they want. Straight out of Forsberg's mouth today after practice "It hasnt gotten any better".

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Quite frankly, Forsberg will never be "healthy". Resting for these 2 weeks won't be any different than if he played in the tournament. How many times per SEASON have we heard about his groin injuries? He can have surgery on it, and get it reinjured 2 days later. He can rest it for 3 months, and 2 games into the new season, it'll be injured.

Unfreakinbelivable.

I like Forsberg as a player, don't get me wrong, but his groin gets injured more per season than Lindros gets concussions in his entire career.

C-J...*

Forsberg is the most abused player in the last decade, this is the result. An injury doesn not only affect that individual part of the body, it´s all linked.

If Colorado had only kept a few guys like Simon around, for the duration of his career with them, this would never had happend.

He´s not going to the olympics, and I seriously feel very sad for him, this was his last chanse.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Remy- Nice to hear and thanks supporting Sweden in that way!

Actually what Forsberg said himself was that this injury isn't even as close to as serious as the abdominal injury he had before. It was a muscle in his lower abdominals which caused all that problem in 2003. Not his groin. So Forsberg have actually missed less games due to abdominal problems then I stated, like 4-5 games total over 10 years. I said 30, if you combine abdominal and groin injurys he have missed something like 25 games over 10 years. It is not much...

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
shawn_kemp said:
please use the word HAS instead of HAVE

Forsberg has ...
Are you serious? :biglaugh:

Anyway, Forsberg most likely won't play tomorrow night either. Right now, the best scenario for him as an individual would be to wait those few games and join in later in the tournament. I'd guess that he's leaning that way.

However, since that could distract the team, Sweden might not be as up for it as Peter. Not that they won't agree to it, but they'd prefer him being on the roster the whole way through. ;) I've got my money on him joining the team halfway through the ride.

And obviously, Philadelphia have ( :p: ) nothing to say about this at all. Hitch can whine and moan at Forsberg all he wants, but until Hitch loses 200 pounds, becomes a Swedish citizen, and steps out on the ice himself, he has nothing to do with it.

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Battousai said:

Anyway, Forsberg most likely won't play tomorrow night either. Right now, the best scenario for him as an individual would be to wait those few games and join in later in the tournament. I'd guess that he's leaning that way.

However, since that could distract the team, Sweden might not be as up for it as Peter. Not that they won't agree to it, but they'd prefer him being on the roster the whole way through. ;) I've got my money on him joining the team halfway through the ride.

And obviously, Philadelphia have ( :p: ) nothing to say about this at all. Hitch can whine and moan at Forsberg all he wants, but until Hitch loses 200 pounds, becomes a Swedish citizen, and steps out on the ice himself, he has nothing to do with it.

:biglaugh:

and I totally agree with you. :D

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Battousai said:

Has Hitchcock ever spoken out about this issue? Not that I'm aware of.

Jazz

trippyime said:
I don't recall Hitch saying anything about it...it has been Fylers owner Ed Snyder and GM Bob Clarke and their archaic comments about this...

Good on Forsberg for excercising his right (as determined by the CBA) to make the determination himself if he is going.... :clap:

Rover*

trippyime said:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/nhl/13836585.htm

For the first time, Forsberg spoke of the possibility of going to Turin even if he isn't ready to play for Sweden, then joining the tournament in progress. His employers, the Flyers, don't seem at all thrilled by that possibility, which coach Ken Hitchcock pretty much discounted yesterday.

Hitchcock said the NHL learned from the 1998 and 2002 Olympics that the grueling schedule does not help injuries heal.

"If you go in a little bit banged up, you come out a lot worse... All the players are fearful; that's why you see players dropping out. Everybody learned that lesson," said Hitchcock, who will be a Team Canada assistant coach. "You don't get healthy going through these games. You play so much hockey over a short period of time. There's no break... If you're not healthy going in, there's no point in going. Different countries have different situations. Some countries can afford to have a player sit and maybe play three games into this thing. But most countries want their players playing right away. The unfortunate part for the players this year is, there's four games in five nights to start, so you have no opportunity to get healthy... the players literally leave here and are playing a day-and-a-half later. If you're not healthy by Sunday, when the season shuts down, there's no way you're going to get healthy by Tuesday, when you have to play.

"He got through practice today, he went the whole deal, we'll see how he feels in the morning. But if he's not healthy and can't play games by this weekend, he's not going to put himself in jeopardy and try to play injured. He knows it would be very disappointing for himself and everybody here in this city if he had to do that right now."

Asked about Hitchcock's reluctance, and even stronger statements earlier in the week from Flyers chairman Ed Snider advocating that Forsberg stay here and heal, Forsberg sighed.

"I understand where [Snider] is coming from," he said.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Rover said:
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/nhl/13836585.htm

For the first time, Forsberg spoke of the possibility of going to Turin even if he isn't ready to play for Sweden, then joining the tournament in progress. His employers, the Flyers, don't seem at all thrilled by that possibility, which coach Ken Hitchcock pretty much discounted yesterday.

Hitchcock said the NHL learned from the 1998 and 2002 Olympics that the grueling schedule does not help injuries heal.

"If you go in a little bit banged up, you come out a lot worse... All the players are fearful; that's why you see players dropping out. Everybody learned that lesson," said Hitchcock, who will be a Team Canada assistant coach. "You don't get healthy going through these games. You play so much hockey over a short period of time. There's no break... If you're not healthy going in, there's no point in going. Different countries have different situations. Some countries can afford to have a player sit and maybe play three games into this thing. But most countries want their players playing right away. The unfortunate part for the players this year is, there's four games in five nights to start, so you have no opportunity to get healthy... the players literally leave here and are playing a day-and-a-half later. If you're not healthy by Sunday, when the season shuts down, there's no way you're going to get healthy by Tuesday, when you have to play.

"He got through practice today, he went the whole deal, we'll see how he feels in the morning. But if he's not healthy and can't play games by this weekend, he's not going to put himself in jeopardy and try to play injured. He knows it would be very disappointing for himself and everybody here in this city if he had to do that right now."

Asked about Hitchcock's reluctance, and even stronger statements earlier in the week from Flyers chairman Ed Snider advocating that Forsberg stay here and heal, Forsberg sighed.

"I understand where [Snider] is coming from," he said.

Thanks for that. I don't see any whining and moaning as some anti-Flyers poster mentioned above though.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Jazz said:
I don't recall Hitch saying anything about it...it has been Fylers owner Ed Snyder and GM Bob Clarke and their archaic comments about this...

Good on Forsberg for excercising his right (as determined by the CBA) to make the determination himself if he is going.... :clap:

archaic?

put yourself in Ed Snider's shoes. you put 5 million dollars on something -- ANYTHING -- and now someone else is going to take possession of it for a bit with no guarantee that it is going to come back in one piece.

how about this, you have an expensive a** car, and there's this really fun, but slightly dangerous, road that someone you don't give a crap about is going to take your expensive a** car on a joy-ride.

you letting that person drive your car?

not to mention, Snider is the only one that has actively tried to talk Forsberg out of going to the olympics (through the media, not directly). i haven't seen a single quote by Clarke that is anything but common sense about the health-related issues...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jester said:
archaic?

put yourself in Ed Snider's shoes. you put 5 million dollars on something -- ANYTHING -- and now someone else is going to take possession of it for a bit with no guarantee that it is going to come back in one piece.

how about this, you have an expensive a** car, and there's this really fun, but slightly dangerous, road that someone you don't give a crap about is going to take your expensive a** car on a joy-ride.

not to mention, Snider is the only one that has actively tried to talk Forsberg out of going to the olympics (through the media, not directly). i haven't seen a single quote by Clarke that is anything but common sense about the health-related issues...

:clap:

SChan*

Jester said:
archaic?

There are players that are higher paid than Forsberg who is going to OLYMPICS AND ANYONE OF THEM CAN SUFFER AN INJURY IN THE TOURNAMENT SO STOP YOUR CRYING. :madfire: :madfire:

man, flyer fans are one of the whininiest fans ever. Originally, there was about 9 players from flyers that should go to olympics, that number is down to 1 or 2, and still you moan and ***** about the players going to turin.

I got news for you, 9-10 players from RANGERS will go to olympics, and the ranger fans arent crying about it. And Jagr and Lundqvist are high profile players that can get injured in the tournament.

god I have never seen forsberg take so much crap for going to try and win one of the finest things in sports. An olympic gold medal.

Last edited by a moderator:

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jester said:

Yes, me letting. Of course. Because that was something I knew from the start and to which I agreed. If I don't like it now, I have only myself to blame.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
SectionX said:
There are players that are higher paid than Forsberg who is going to OLYMPICS AND ANYONE OF THEM CAN SUFFER AN INJURY IN THE TOURNAMENT SO STOP YOUR CRYING. :madfire: :madfire:

man, flyer fans are one of the whininiest fans ever. Originally, there was about 9 players from flyers that should go to olympics, that number is down to 1 or 2, and still you moan and ***** about the players going to turin.

I got news for you, 9-10 players from RANGERS will go to olympics, and the ranger fans arent crying about it. And Jagr and Lundqvist are high profile players that can get injured in the tournament.

god I have never seen forsberg take so much crap for going to try and win one of the finest things in sports. An olympic gold medal.

Jagr had two goals last night... how many did Forsberg have? oh, that's right... he's too injured to play for the Flyers right now.

i don't really give a crap how much he's making, i was simply justifying why Snider feels the way he does. you put an investment in something that isn't performing for you, would you really want it then going and performing for someone else?

i believe 6 flyers are going... KJ is staying home because his wife is about to give birth (probably wouldn't be able to play due to the concussion anyway)... Kapanen is staying home because he's so dinged he can't even practice... and Pitkanen isn't even close to 100%.

Forsberg, Esche, Nitty, Hatcher, Knuble, and Gagne... only reason more aren't playing is because OUR ENTIRE TEAM IS HURT... which might explain the concern here in philly.

you have your selfish interest in him playing for Team Sweden, we have our selfish interest in seeing a team that can compete for a cup, which, quite frankly, won't be possible without Forsberg.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Jester said:

Possession?

Take a look at the 13th amendment.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
jekoh said:
Yes, me letting. Of course. Because that was something I knew from the start and to which I agreed. If I don't like it now, I have only myself to blame.

i wouldn't be complaining if he was healthy... but he isn't. if he plays in the Olympics he will have missed the 8 Flyer games leading up to Turin. if you can't dress in any of those games, you should shut it down and be healthy on the otherside and not risk reaggravating something that is clearly not right.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Leo Naphta said:
Possession?

Take a look at the 13th amendment.

met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr) n.

1)A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles†or “All the world's a stage†(Shakespeare).

2)One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: “Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven†(Neal Gabler).

That being said in the context of the NHL, Forsberg is the property of the Philadelphia Flyers... which is why he has an "exclusive" contract with the club. This is why other teams aren't allowed to talk to him about playing for their club... that is considered "tampering." This is why he can't just go and sign a contract with a team in Sweden... because they have agreements as to who OWNS the rights to a player. so... yeah... possession.

Rover*

I tend to view the forsberg situation as the flyers and snider owing forsberg, not the other way around. Only cause forsberg was a high profile free agent and could have gone anywhere he wanted for 5 mill. If the flyers didn't offer it to him, someone else would have, so the flyers owe forsberg for him choosing to sign with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad