Live report from the Flyers practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ola said:
If he is healty and can skate a full practise in 7 days Sweden can use him sparely in the meaningless opening round so he gets back in shape and he'll have another 7 days before the QF's. In the end it will have passed a total of 27 days since he suffered his minor injury, that normally takes 7-10 days, untill he is asked to really deliver.

I think you're much better off assuming he won't be able to play and spend your time figuring out how to win Gold without him.

The Swedish press attention on this one player is enormous, but Sweden has a quality line-up and a decent goalie for once.

Inventing all of these possible scenarios by which he can somehow play is remarkably short-sighted. Not only does he risk re-injury, but it's likely he won't be remotely close to 100% even if he does come back.

He was a non-factor in the World Championships when he played injured. Let someone else step up. Don't put all of the pressure and hype on a guy who can't put 20 games together without missing at least 5.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Ola said:
Basically because the little threads in the muscle haven't grown together yet. It still hurts. Playing now wouldn't be good and could cause permanent danger. But once its healty thats not the case. He had a worse injury on his left groin that took 10 days to recover. He played after 10 days and that groin is still healty. Now its been 14 days with this groin, and its 7 days still untill Sweden plays its first big game, its will have passed 27 days before Sweden plays its first important game, the QF, in the tournament. Do you get my point?

If he is healty and can skate a full practise in 7 days Sweden can use him sparely in the meaningless opening round so he gets back in shape and he'll have another 7 days before the QF's. In the end it will have passed a total of 27 days since he suffered his minor injury, that normally takes 7-10 days, untill he is asked to really deliver.

so you're saying this hasn't healed the way that it should, or people expected it to?

try to justify it all you want... if you can't lace 'em up for an employer that is paying you 5 million dollars, you shouldn't be lacing 'em up for free for someone else.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Jester said:
okay... then why hasn't he finished an entire practice? why haven't i seen him in uniform in 6 games?

and try to throw away groin injuries as a simple matter all they want. it's an injury that friggin lingers...

Great points!

Maybe someone should ask Avalanche fans about Foppa's groin problem. His groin has not only been a constant pain for Peter, it's been a constant pain for just about every team he has played for. I'm sorry, I want a healthy Team Sweden, and a healthy Peter Forsberg, but I'm not counting on getting both.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jester thats just stuipid. I don't think many Flyers fans would agree with you on that. If he is healty he should play, if not he shouldn't. When he injured his left groin the Flyers threw him on the ice after 10 days and it didn't hurt him. For Sweden it would be 21 days and once the groin is healty it won't be any problems for him to play with it. Thats why the Flyers are letting him play if he is healty.

Remy said:
Great points!

Maybe someone should ask Avalanche fans about Foppa's groin problem. His groin has not only been a constant pain for Peter, it's been a constant pain for just about every team he has played for. I'm sorry, I want a healthy Team Sweden, and a healthy Peter Forsberg, but I'm not counting on getting both.

Yeah you do that. How many games did he miss for them due to his groin? 20(?) games over a period of 10 years? It wasn't many that I know.

edit- Wasn't trying to be offensive Remy, maybe you are to young to have seen Forsberg play for the Avs. Though I don't know the exact number of games but I think Forsberg only have missed something like a month or so total with groin problems for them, over a period of 10 years. Forsbergs injury problems have been other stuff, like his spleen and especially his feets.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I love the way you keep pointing out that it's always different injuries.

This is his OTHER groin. It's NOT his foot, spleen, ankle, chest, arm, etc. etc.

Face it, he's not going to play much in the Olympics.

Why jeopardize team chemistry and such by even trying to get him in there?

Bringing Lidstrom and Forsberg in at the tail-end of the World Championship 2 years ago was a big mistake. Neither player played particularly well, and the rest of the team was guilty of waiting for them to take over the game.

Deal with reality, not wishful thinking.

C-J...*

NyQuil said:
I love the way you keep pointing out that it's always different injuries.

This is his OTHER groin. It's NOT his foot, spleen, ankle, chest, arm, etc. etc.

Face it, he's not going to play much in the Olympics.

Why jeopardize team chemistry and such by even trying to get him in there?

Bringing Lidstrom and Forsberg in at the tail-end of the World Championship 2 years ago was a big mistake. Neither player played particularly well, and the rest of the team was guilty of waiting for them to take over the game.

Deal with reality, not wishful thinking.

An injured Foppa is still the best player in the world in playoff situations.

But in this case he wont play, Im pretty sure of it.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
The Swedish tabloids report that Peter felt better after todays practice, in which he participated in all moments, and according to one of them, he is supposed to have said that it is big chance that he'll play on saturday

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Leo Naphta said:
The Swedish tabloids report that Peter felt better after todays practice, in which he participated in all moments, and according to one of them, he is supposed to have said that it is big chance that he'll play on saturday

LOL, the news changes by the hour.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Ola said:
Jester thats just stuipid. I don't think many Flyers fans would agree with you on that. If he is healty he should play, if not he shouldn't. When he injured his left groin the Flyers threw him on the ice after 10 days and it didn't hurt him. For Sweden it would be 21 days and once the groin is healty it won't be any problems for him to play with it. Thats why the Flyers are letting him play if he is healty.

really? i would bet most Flyer fans would... know the owner and GM agree with me...

what would i rather have?

option A) Forsberg rushing back from an injury -- which CLEARLY isn't healed completely -- to play in the olympics and risk re-aggravating this lingering groin problem.

option B) Forsberg sitting around for a couple of weeks resting and rehabbing the groin prior to coming back at 100% (which he WILL NOT be in the immediate future, no matter how much you want to pass off this groin injury as a simple matter) for the stretch-run to the playoffs.

pretty sure EVERY Flyer fan with a brain is going with option B... i understand why someone from Sweden is partial to A, but clearly we have different justifications for our thinking.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Ola said:
Yeah you do that. How many games did he miss for them due to his groin? 20(?) games over a period of 10 years? It wasn't many that I know.

edit- Wasn't trying to be offensive Remy, maybe you are to young to have seen Forsberg play for the Avs. Though I don't know the exact number of games but I think Forsberg only have missed something like a month or so total with groin problems for them, over a period of 10 years. Forsbergs injury problems have been other stuff, like his spleen and especially his feets.

Ummmmm, I don't need to do that. I have followed Pete since he and the rest of the Nordiques came to Denver. ;) Forsberg (and Näslund) are my favourite players...EVER! I'm a weird American who loves Swedish hockey and cheers for Sweden when every major tournament rolls around. You see, I WANT Pete to play in the Olympics, and I WANT Sweden to win the Gold. BUT I also WANT a healthy Peter Forsberg and a healthy Team Sweden. Not to mention, I want Pete to be able to give a 100% effort for Philly when he returns from Turin. You see, I want not what is good for Sweden, or Philly, but what is good for Pete. I would hate to see him go to Turin, when he is not 100%, injure himself even more, and maybe, just maybe have to retire early. Let's face it, our little Pete is a tad bit "injury prone", or at least that's what all my so-called friends like to say, you know, to get me all in a frenzy. :madfire: But the truth is, they are right. I hate to admit it, but he is. The following is from my fantasy hockey pool over at ESPN concerning Pete's injury prone last season with the Avs:

Oct 3, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg left Thursday night's preseason game against the Stars with a groin injury, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 1, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg missed Saturday's game with a groin injury, the Associated Press reports.

Nov 3, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg will undergo tests Monday morning for what he said is a groin strain, and he doesn't know when he'll be able to return to the lineup, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Nov 4, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (groin strain) did not feel as good as he had hoped during Monday's optional practice and will miss his third consecutive game Tuesday against the Wild, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 11, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg was a last-minute scratch from the lineup Tuesday night with a groin injury.

Nov 13, 2003 Day-to-day As expected, Forsberg (lower body injury) did not play Thursday against the Coyotes.

Nov 13, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg did not practice at the Logitech Ice Center and is doubtful to play Thursday, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 14, 2003 Day-to-day The situation regarding Forsberg's health (groin/abdominal injury) is potentially serious, and the Avalanche star center isn't sure when he will return to the lineup, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 17, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (groin) will miss Tuesday's game against Anaheim, the Associated Press reports.

Nov 18, 2003 Day-to-day Coach Tony Granato insisted Monday that Forsberg's ailment stems from a groin muscle and not his stomach, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Nov 20, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (abdominal muscle pull) won't play Thursday, but he will skate for the first time since November 11, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 21, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (abdominal muscle pull) skated for 10 minutes on his own Thursday, and the team said things went well, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 24, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (abdominal muscle pull) will not play in Monday's contest against Nashville, according to The Tennessean.

Nov 25, 2003 Day-to-day Forsberg (abdominal muscle pull) did not skate on Monday and his return date is unknown, the Denver Post reports.

Nov 30, 2003 Dl The Avalanche placed Forsberg on injured reserve Sunday, retroactive to November 9, with an abdominal muscle injury.

Nov 30, 2003 Dl Forsberg (abdominal muscle pull), who is out for Sunday's tilt with the Devils, reportedly is feeling better after staying off the ice for a week and might resume skating Sunday, the Denver Post reports.

Dec 10, 2003 Dl Forsberg, who has missed the past 13 games and 16 of the past 18 because of an groin/abdominal injury, skated briefly Monday and will continue to rehab with the team on the road, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Dec 18, 2003 Dl Forsberg, who has missed 16 consecutive games and 19 of the past 21 because of a groin/abdominal injury, will accompany the Avalanche on its weekend trip against Anaheim and Los Angeles, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Jan 18, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg skated in the warm-up Saturday, but couldn't go. The issue is whether that was a sign that the groin and stomach muscle problems that earlier kept him out of 22 games in a 24-game stretch will be reoccurring the rest of the season, and perhaps affect the Avs' playoff fate, the Denver Post reports.

Jan 21, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg (groin) will likely miss his third game in a row Wednesday in Florida, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Feb 20, 2004 Day-to-day Avalanche officials originally said Forsberg complained about soreness in his hip during warm-ups prior to Wednesday's game, but coach Tony Granato said it was his nagging groin injury that kept Forsberg from playing that night, the Rocky Mountain News reports. Forsberg, who has missed 27 games because of the injury, did not practice Thursday and is questionable for Friday's tilt with Dallas.

Feb 21, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg (groin) missed his second consecutive game on Friday, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Feb 22, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg (groin) was scratched from the lineup for the third straight game Sunday.

Feb 24, 2004 Day-to-day If Forsberg's troublesome groin muscle forces him to miss Tuesday's game, he will have missed stretches of three, 19, four and three games this season, the Denver Post reports.

Mar 2, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg's abdominal/groin injury is going to keep him out for a while, perhaps for the remainder of the regular season, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

Mar 14, 2004 Day-to-day Forsberg, out because of an abdominal injury that has cost him over half a season in games played, has resumed skating, the Denver Post reports.

Mar 24, 2004 News Forsberg, the 2003 Hart Trophy winner who returned to the Avs' lineup on Thursday night after missing 17 games, says his groin and abdominal injuries are gone and that he's hoping to fine-tune his game to the point where he dominates in the playoffs, the Denver Post reports. Moreover, Forsberg says it's the first time he's felt 100 percent all season.

ESPN Fantasy Hockey Link

Listen, I'm really not trying to argue with you about this. Like I have stated in several posts, I'm a huge fan of Pete and of Team Sweden and only want the best for them. I'm just concerned about Peter injuring himself to the point where he can't finish the Olympics, or finish the regular season with Philly, or ever play hockey again. Peter has suffered many different injuries that has kept him sidelined, and this groin injury appears to be the one injury that he just can't seem to be able to properly heal. Now am I the only one that wants what is best for Peter, and not what's best for Sweden or Philly or the NHL or the Olympics? Come now, I don't think I am.

SChan*

Remy said:
Ummmmm, I don't need to do that. I have followed Pete since he and the rest of the Nordiques came to Denver. ;) Forsberg (and Näslund) are my favourite players...EVER! I'm a weird American who loves Swedish hockey and cheers for Sweden when every major tournament rolls around. You see, I WANT Pete to play in the Olympics, and I WANT Sweden to win the Gold. BUT I also WANT a healthy Peter Forsberg and a healthy Team Sweden. Not to mention, I want Pete to be able to give a 100% effort for Philly when he returns from Turin. You see, I want not what is good for Sweden, or Philly, but what is good for Pete. I would hate to see him go to Turin, when he is not 100%, injure himself even more, and maybe, just maybe have to retire early. Let's face it, our little Pete is a tad bit "injury prone", or at least that's what all my so-called friends like to say, you know, to get me all in a frenzy. :madfire: But the truth is, they are right. I hate to admit it, but he is. The following is from my fantasy hockey pool over at ESPN concerning Pete's injury prone last season with the Avs:

ESPN Fantasy Hockey Link

Listen, I'm really not trying to argue with you about this. Like I have stated in several posts, I'm a huge fan of Pete and of Team Sweden and only want the best for them. I'm just concerned about Peter injuring himself to the point where he can't finish the Olympics, or finish the regular season with Philly, or ever play hockey again. Peter has suffered many different injuries that has kept him sidelined, and this groin injury appears to be the one injury that he just can't seem to be able to properly heal. Now am I the only one that wants what is best for Peter, and not what's best for Sweden or Philly or the NHL or the Olympics? Come now, I don't think I am.

gee man do you have a life, tha must have taken hours to dig up :eek:

Roger's Pancreas*

SectionX said:

Maybe it did, but it does a great job to put into perspective Foppa's consistent groin injuries. There's too much pressure on him from Sweden to do "the right" thing and he'll inevitably put the country ahead of himself. I'm just bracing myself for some real bad news.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
SectionX said:

Ahhhhh c'mon you can do better than that now can't you? ;)

Of course I have a life, but I'm at work now......so you see, I have tons of time to look up useless nonsense!! Especially now that all the folks who matter here at work are in Turin. What's that saying, while the cats away......... :D

Oh, and it really wasn't all that hard to research.... ;)

SChan*

Panasonic Youth said:
Maybe it did, but it does a great job to put into perspective Foppa's consistent groin injuries. There's too much pressure on him from Sweden to do "the right" thing and he'll inevitably put the country ahead of himself. I'm just bracing myself for some real bad news.

actually the swedish management was ready to replace Forsberg as of today, but it was Forsberg who begged for 2-3 more days.

"I want to skate up for sweden a last time with sundin and lidstrom he said"

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Ola said:

I don't agree with that (I'm a Flyers fan). If he's healthy, he has to prove it (like play a full game this weekend). He can't just announce that he's healthy after Saturday's game and head over. That's the agreement that's in place. It doesn't matter how many days it's been for this injury, clearly it does not heal on a normal schedule. After seeing the ESPN link provided by someone else above, and how much that groin problem affected him, I want him sitting even more for the next couple of weeks.

SChan*

trippyime said:
I don't agree with that (I'm a Flyers fan). If he's healthy, he has to prove it (like play a full game this weekend). He can't just announce that he's healthy after Saturday's game and head over. That's the agreement that's in place. It doesn't matter how many days it's been for this injury, clearly it does not heal on a normal schedule. After seeing the ESPN link provided by someone else above, and how much that groin problem affected him, I want him sitting even more for the next couple of weeks.

the canadians are clearly afraid of forsberg playing for sweden. I saw so many sigh of reliefs going to tsn.ca when naslund pulled out.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Jester said:
really? i would bet most Flyer fans would... know the owner and GM agree with me...

Sign me up as one who doesnt ;)

The big problem here is that we're all biased, Flyers fans (most of them) wants Forsberg to rest, Swedes wants him to play and i'm also betting that a quite large portion of the canadians wants Forsberg to rest.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Ultimately this is Forsberg's decision. But he wont go against the Flyers wishes.

I heard on the radio there will be a press conference sometime tomorrow re: Foppa's status, and the news isnt that good for Sweden

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
SectionX said:
the canadians are clearly afraid of forsberg playing for sweden. I saw so many sigh of reliefs going to tsn.ca when naslund pulled out.

Not really sure why you're so cocky about this. So what if I'm Canadian? Why do people always assume that your allegiance to one team overshadows one's love for the game? The Olympics is incredible for hockey and I wish every great player could play. I was upset when Naslund pulled out and there will be a small part of me upset if Forsberg pulls out because it might be his last Olympics. They are two of my favourite players in the world. I'm disappointed when any team doesn't have its top players. You need to get a grip on reality if you think Canadians are afraid of Sweden or who plays for them. We may not have a good army, or inspiring political leaders, but we definitely lead the world when it comes to hockey. Honestly, saying we're afraid of Sweden when it comes to hockey is like saying the US army is afraid of the Congo's army.

SChan*

trippyime said:
Not really sure why you're so cocky about this. So what if I'm Canadian? Why do people always assume that your allegiance to one team overshadows one's love for the game? The Olympics is incredible for hockey and I wish every great player could play. I was upset when Naslund pulled out and there will be a small part of me upset if Forsberg pulls out because it might be his last Olympics. They are two of my favourite players in the world. I'm disappointed when any team doesn't have its top players. You need to get a grip on reality if you think Canadians are afraid of Sweden or who plays for them. We may not have a good army, or inspiring political leaders, but we definitely lead the world when it comes to hockey. Honestly, saying we're afraid of Sweden when it comes to hockey is like saying the US army is afraid of the Congo's army.

this is forsberg last olympics. he said it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad