Little League World Series

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Not all youth baseball programs are LL affiliated. If fact, a majority aren't.

So if you're playing in a Baseball Canada sanctioned league, you aren't competing to go to Williamsport.

In the states, along with LL we also have Pony and Babe Ruth (Cal Ripken) and several others sanctioning house leagues and running their own national tournaments. Along with that, full time travel players are playing in tournaments under other sanctions like USSSA or that aren't sanctioned at all.

LL is not a be all end all, but because they're on ESPN, people get the impression they are. Personally, I think their rules are crap. When I was 12 I was in a Pony program, with lead offs and 70 ft basepaths.

I've listened to the Ripkins on the MLB/XM station and it sounds like they didn't like the LL rules either, forming/joining with Babe Ruth baseball.

I love watching the tournament, but I'm amazed at how small the field is.
My son is 12 and they pitch from 50' and the basepaths are 75'.

In my neck of the woods we're governed by Baseball Ontario (OBA) and almost no teams from Southwest Ontario to London play in a LL division.
Some Windsor teams do, but they travel a lot to Michigan.

Does anyone know if the Babe Ruth World Series tournament is televised?

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
It all comes down to the area where the player is and the closest team within that area.

Let's say Winnipeg has 3 teams in towns A, B, C. If a kid lives in town A, or the closest town is A, then he's under town A and their team.

Pretty sure the team that won last year had their championship revoked because they had players on their team who were not qualified because they lived outside the team's boundaries.

Oh I know how it works in Winnipeg with neighbourhoods and residency. I just dont understand the American system. Can you pick between LL or Pony or others no matter where you live, or is it that certain organisations rule over certain areas leaving no other choices?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Oh I know how it works in Winnipeg with neighbourhoods and residency. I just dont understand the American system. Can you pick between LL or Pony or others no matter where you live, or is it that certain organisations rule over certain areas leaving no other choices?

You a person have no choice, but your town can pick whoever they want.

I live in a Chicago suburb called Flossmoor. The next town over is Homewood. The 2 towns are linked on certain things (high school, park district) but not on others (K-8 schools, baseball/softball programs). Flossmoor is a Pony program while Homewood is Ruth/Ripken.

That said, certain leagues are probably more common than others depending on the area. I know nothing about Dixie ball, but I'm assuming they only operate in the south.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
STRUCK HIM OUT!!!

IT'S OVER!! IT'S OVER!!

THEY HAVE DONE IT!!!

NEW YORK WINS IT!!!

WORLD ****ING CHAMPIONSSSSSSSs!!

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
For Quebec Little League . Basically the provincials consista of 4 teams...so whoever win that **** tournament represent us for the Canadian...

And the little league team are not reallly good...most of them play A baseball while the best players play AA....

IF we sent our best squad to that Canadian Championship pretty sure they'll dominate most of the time...

I remember the Valleyfield team representing Canada in the 90s...we played them in a PEE-WEE AA Tournament and won 22-1....

The only province taking LL seriously is BC..and even than a ton of them play in Baseball BC at age 13-14 after the 11-12 bracket

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Just saw this thread. My son plays travel ball, league ball here of any type is pretty bad, with the exception of the 2 teams that label themselves "Little League" when it's convenient, South Nashville and Goodlettsville. Both of those teams are actually decent travel teams that happen to also play LL. We play Game 7, Perfect game and USSSA tournaments most weekends. I don't think Dixie Youth (are they still around), Pony, Ripken or Babe Ruth have tournaments.

For my son, LL is a bit of a joke, he was a 12u player in the spring but did not want to pitch on a 50' mound so he played up in 13 u to pitch from 60'6". He made his middle school team as a 6th grader and has pitched in about half the games, so he doesn't want to pitch again from the shorter mounds. His goal this season is to start for varsity. School ball seems to be his bigger focus now. He's not super overpowering but he throws harder than average, I'd guess him around 70-75 mph. I can't imagine him pitching in LL at 46'.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
A sensational comeback by Georgia in the bottom of the 6th!! Down to their last strike twice, and they come from 3 down to tie it!! We're going to extras!

Love the uni's this year as well

Canada is the only international team without a homer.
They took the pop out of the bats this year, making for much better games

Last edited by a moderator:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
A sensational comeback by Georgia in the bottom of the 6th!! Down to their last strike twice, and they come from 3 down to tie it!! We're going to extras!

Love the uni's this year as well

They took the pop out of the bats this year, making for much better games

My understanding via a friend who follows this more closely and works with NCAA baseball is that Georgia is probably the best team there other than Hawaii and got unlucky with a terrible draw getting Hawaii early and then losing and drawing the 3rd best team in Texas. He thinks they’ll likely get to the US title game now. Of course when it comes to kids there are no guarantees. I was surprised at the degree of mental errors last night despite how good these teams are. Trying to complete a DP that had no chance of being completed instead of holding onto the ball, the RFer catching a fly with a runner on 3rd with his body in front of the ball instead of positioning himself with forward momentum to make the throw home, swinging at first pitches when a pitcher has thrown 5 straight balls to previous batters. It was really an endless list of dumb mistakes you’d think coaches would be on top of for teams this good

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
My understanding via a friend who follows this more closely and works with NCAA baseball is that Georgia is probably the best team there other than Hawaii and got unlucky with a terrible draw getting Hawaii early and then losing and drawing the 3rd best team in Texas. He thinks they’ll likely get to the US title game now. Of course when it comes to kids there are no guarantees. I was surprised at the degree of mental errors last night despite how good these teams are. Trying to complete a DP that had no chance of being completed instead of holding onto the ball, the RFer catching a fly with a runner on 3rd with his body in front of the ball instead of positioning himself with forward momentum to make the throw home, swinging at first pitches when a pitcher has thrown 5 straight balls to previous batters. It was really an endless list of dumb mistakes you’d think coaches would be on top of for teams this good

Stunned to hear NY ian't top 3. I can't deny they look good as much as I don't want a team from the island to win.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Can't believe TSN is showing NBAs the Jump on three separate channels and won't show the Canada game at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad