Little League World Series

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It got underway today, with Canada shocking Japan early on.

First opening-game loss in the LLWS by Japan, in over fifty years. :amazed:

It'd be nice if Canada could use this new-found momentum to advance past the prelims for a change. We usually don't. :laugh:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What about that kid from Panama throwing 80 mph?

By the way he looks 17.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
It got underway yesterday

Tennessee, Kentucky New York and Iowa win their opening round games in the US Bracket

Australia, Panama, South Korea and Canada win their opening round games in the International bracket.

Surprise first round losses are Japan for sure, California and Texas. Those two US teams always do well

Tomorrows schedule has all the losers playing

Saturday, August 20,2016......... Time..........Network.......Field
Mexico vs. Italy.......................12 p.m.........ESPN.......Volunteer
U.S.: Oregon vs Rhode Island....3 p.m .........ABC.........Lamade
Japan vs Curacao.................... 6 p.m..........ESPN........Volunteer
U.S.: California vs Texas...........8 p.m..........ESPN........Lamade

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Do they broadcast the international games in the round robin?
I was hoping to watch Canada v South Korea tomorrow night.

The game is on TSN right now. I don't know how much of the tourney they are showing but they usually show a few of the games. Definitely Canada's.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Might be a dumb question, but I actually dont understand how international little league teams are made? Maybe its just my small pocket of Manitoba when I was playing but I never heard of Little League, just Baseball Manitoba. How does this work?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Might be a dumb question, but I actually dont understand how international little league teams are made? Maybe its just my small pocket of Manitoba when I was playing but I never heard of Little League, just Baseball Manitoba. How does this work?

I think there are Canada-wide tournaments, and then a national championship, and the winner advances to the LLWS.

Seems like the team is usually from BC though.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

Basically, Canada is given 1 spot in the LLWS.

There are divisions set up, 1 in Quebec, 1 in Ontario, 1 in Alberta, 1 in BC, 1 for Prairies, and 1 for the Maritimes. However many teams per division depends on the number of teams registered, not all are the same.

Whichever little league team wins their division and their competition against the other top teams from each division, advances to represent Canada. Historically, BC has had the most success with the amount of times they've represented Canada.

Not all provinces and territories in Canada are little-league affiliated. So to my knowledge, Manitoba is not little-league affiliated.

I don't know why exactly certain areas are little league affiliated while other areas are not in Canada. Perhaps it's a lack of demand; since little league basically functions as a volunteer program\grassroots initiative, maybe there is a lack of volunteers in coaches, umpires, parents, donations for travel, equipment, etc. Maybe certain areas just prefer to keep baseball regional. Again, not really sure why.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Basically, Canada is given 1 spot in the LLWS.

There are divisions set up, 1 in Quebec, 1 in Ontario, 1 in Alberta, 1 in BC, 1 for Prairies, and 1 for the Maritimes. However many teams per division depends on the number of teams registered, not all are the same.

Whichever little league team wins their division and their competition against the other top teams from each division, advances to represent Canada. Historically, BC has had the most success with the amount of times they've represented Canada.

Not all provinces and territories in Canada are little-league affiliated. So to my knowledge, Manitoba is not little-league affiliated.

I don't know why exactly certain areas are little league affiliated while other areas are not in Canada. Perhaps it's a lack of demand; since little league basically functions as a volunteer program\grassroots initiative, maybe there is a lack of volunteers in coaches, umpires, parents, donations for travel, equipment, etc. Maybe certain areas just prefer to keep baseball regional. Again, not really sure why.

So during the age group that LLWS is, Baseball Ontario/Quebec/etc does not do city/provincial championships at all? LLWS runs the whole show and then those organisations take over after?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Not all youth baseball programs are LL affiliated. If fact, a majority aren't.

So if you're playing in a Baseball Canada sanctioned league, you aren't competing to go to Williamsport.

In the states, along with LL we also have Pony and Babe Ruth (Cal Ripken) and several others sanctioning house leagues and running their own national tournaments. Along with that, full time travel players are playing in tournaments under other sanctions like USSSA or that aren't sanctioned at all.

LL is not a be all end all, but because they're on ESPN, people get the impression they are. Personally, I think their rules are crap. When I was 12 I was in a Pony program, with lead offs and 70 ft basepaths.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Not all youth baseball programs are LL affiliated. If fact, a majority aren't.

So if you're playing in a Baseball Canada sanctioned league, you aren't competing to go to Williamsport.

In the states, along with LL we also have Pony and Babe Ruth (Cal Ripken) and several others sanctioning house leagues and running their own national tournaments. Along with that, full time travel players are playing in tournaments under other sanctions like USSSA or that aren't sanctioned at all.

LL is not a be all end all, but because they're on ESPN, people get the impression they are. Personally, I think their rules are crap. When I was 12 I was in a Pony program, with lead offs and 70 ft basepaths.

Yeah I know that my youth teams never knew about LLWS in Winnipeg, we just knew the Manitoba provincials. What I wonder though is in Canada at that age, are they signing up specifically for LL BC/Ontario/etc or if the LL structure falls under the provincial organisations. Or do they compete for players?

Im also shocked to hear theres so many organisations in the USA. Do different organisations represent different skill levels?

edit-Yikes, just fell upon the Amateur Basball in the USA wiki. A lot to wrap my head around....seems way too fractured?

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Yeah I know that my youth teams never knew about LLWS in Winnipeg, we just knew the Manitoba provincials. What I wonder though is in Canada at that age, are they signing up specifically for LL BC/Ontario/etc or if the LL structure falls under the provincial organisations. Or do they compete for players?

Im also shocked to hear theres so many organisations in the USA. Do different organisations represent different skill levels?

edit-Yikes, just fell upon the Amateur Basball in the USA wiki. A lot to wrap my head around....seems way too fractured?

It all comes down to the area where the player is and the closest team within that area.

Let's say Winnipeg has 3 teams in towns A, B, C. If a kid lives in town A, or the closest town is A, then he's under town A and their team.

Pretty sure the team that won last year had their championship revoked because they had players on their team who were not qualified because they lived outside the team's boundaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad