linkage / no cap idea ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Ok ... at this point in time, its really important to be solutions oriented. since its clear both parties are entrenched its of no value to think this will be worked out with the ideologies on the table. while the owners hold all the power, they still must be pro active in finding a way to get the game back on before it suffers permament damage.

the players will agree to a deal that doesnt involve a "cap" on what they can earn and the league will agree to a deal that has "linkage" to revenues.

lets say 1.1b is 55% of 2b in revenues for arguments sake.

no cap on any teams spending. however, if total league salaries exceeds this amount, then the teams exceeding the average (37m) will pay at a rate of 1:1 for the revenue differential amount. so if 10 teams are over 37m and the total salary wound up being 1.2b, than each team over will contribute to the deficit on a pro rated basis.

this is not really a tax, its recovering the revenue differential. follow me, it might be a bit complicated.

if 55%(1.1b) is ok on 2b revenue, the league wouldnt mind 1.2b in player costs IF the revenue was 2.2b, so if player costs creep up to 1.2b, than the offending teams should make up the REVENUE difference so that the other teams are compensated as if they actually had the revenue of 2.2b.

I would propose if these were the #'s (1.1b threshold, 1.2b final result) that each team over 40m in payroll (1.2b/30) will pay in equal proportion the revenue shortfall from 2b to 2.2b.

if it was 10 teams and by chance they were all equally over the 40m mark, they would each pay 20m to the league revenue base in revenue differential payments.

Is that stiff enough to create cost certainty for the owners, but flexable enough to not act as a cap in the players minds ?

dr

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Works for me. I think Goodenow would argue it's in effect a cap though, since the tax threshold is low and the percentage is high. You also run into the classic problem of defining revenue.

It's the sort of thing I would expect both sides to be able to start negotiating with, though

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
If I am following your suggestion correctly, I think the owners would jump all over it and Bob Goodenow would be burried in a shallow grave deep in the woods.

Just to simplify the numbers;

Say the revenue and 55% equals a perfect 36 mil / team payroll.

Therefore league revenues are 1,963,636,364.00

Now if every team spends their 36 mil perfectly and 1 team spends 40 mil then the equivalent revenue based on 55% would be 1,970,909,091.00 for a difference of approx 7,272,727.00

That is almost pushing past a 1.8:1 equivalent luxury tax.

Or am I misunderstanding your suggesting? :dunno:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
ceber said:
Works for me. I think Goodenow would argue it's in effect a cap though, since the tax threshold is low and the percentage is high. You also run into the classic problem of defining revenue.

It's the sort of thing I would expect both sides to be able to start negotiating with, though

well the tax could be quite low as well. if 20 teams were over the threshold, its still the same amount of tax, but split over twice as many teams.

i dont think goodenow has a choice anymore. the owners are better poker players. however, its still important for the owners to be pro active and find a solution based on compromise so that the we dont need to find out how damaging a lost season will become.

the problem with this system is it still can be considered inflationary. however, if the compensation paid by the offending teams resolves the "cost certainty" issue, why would hte owners care ? as long as revenue and costs are tied, who cares how mcuh the players make ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard