Link between salaries and revenues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan_86

Nov 26, 2003
I hear a lot of talk about the owners wanting a link between revenues and salary...can someone explain with an example because I'm really not too sure on what exactly it means :dunce:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Hockeyfan_86 said:
I hear a lot of talk about the owners wanting a link between revenues and salary...can someone explain with an example because I'm really not too sure on what exactly it means :dunce:
I'm not sure what you need to know (unless you haven't read a thing about the lockout) basicly the league wants to pay the players a fair % amount to the revenues coming in.

Baseball...55% revenue to the players
Basketball...53% revenue to the players
Hockey (last year) 76% revenue to the players

Goodenow hates these numbers so he just says the owners are lying :shakehead

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
T@T said:
I'm not sure what you need to know (unless you haven't read a thing about the lockout) basicly the league wants to pay the players a fair % amount to the revenues coming in.

Baseball...55% revenue to the players
Basketball...53% revenue to the players
Hockey (last year) 76% revenue to the players

Goodenow hates these numbers so he just says the owners are lying :shakehead

maybe a compromise would be a bridge. i think part of the players repulsion at how this is being rammed down there throat is hte homerum the owners expect in one swing. maybe the owners should agree to phase in the % instead of trying to win it all back at once. would this not at least ackowledge their role in where the finances have gone ?

year 1 - 53m cap
year 2 - 48m cap
year 3 and on - 55% (or negotiated amount)

this would give the sides 2 years to figure out how to trust each other, sort out hockey revenues definitions and set up the infrastructure to form a real partnership.

the owners can afford to take a controled loss for 2 more years to get to the end result.

is this not for the good of the game long term ? the owners are losing money now too without hockey, so why cant they lose money when the result is certain for them.

dr

dr

Hockey_Nut99

DementedReality said:
maybe a compromise would be a bridge. i think part of the players repulsion at how this is being rammed down there throat is hte homerum the owners expect in one swing. maybe the owners should agree to phase in the % instead of trying to win it all back at once. would this not at least ackowledge their role in where the finances have gone ?

year 1 - 53m cap
year 2 - 48m cap

this would give the sides 2 years to figure out how to trust each other, sort out hockey revenues definitions and set up the infrastructure to form a real partnership.

the owners can afford to take a controled loss for 2 more years to get to the end result.

is this not for the good of the game long term ? the owners are losing money now too without hockey, so why cant they lose money when the result is certain for them.

dr

dr

I don't mind that much. I'm pro-owner but it seems as though the NHL is just jamming this stuff down the players throats pretty quick all in one shot. Especially when they said they want to abolish arbitration. I didn't see that coming. I still think the owners will come out on top no matter how long it takes. A lot of them aren't die hard fans either. They don't care if the games locked out for a year as long as it improves their business. Owners can easily out wait the players. It might not be fair but to me the owners own these teams and they can do what they want to ensure that THEIR business is set up properly for the future. Some of them made poor decisions and paid for them. This is how they plan to fix it. I'm tired of the players saying "it's the owners fault". We all know that. This is what the owners are doing to fix their faults.

If the players don't like it they are free to go work somewhere else. It's the owners right to want their cap and the players right to refuse.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Hockey_Nut99 said:
I don't mind that much. I'm pro-owner but it seems as though the NHL is just jamming this stuff down the players throats pretty quick all in one shot. Especially when they said they want to abolish arbitration. I didn't see that coming. I still think the owners will come out on top no matter how long it takes. A lot of them aren't die hard fans either. They don't care if the games locked out for a year as long as it improves their business. Owners can easily out wait the players. It might not be fair but to me the owners own these teams and they can do what they want to ensure that THEIR business is set up properly for the future. Some of them made poor decisions and paid for them. This is how they plan to fix it. I'm tired of the players saying "it's the owners fault". We all know that. This is what the owners are doing to fix their faults.

If the players don't like it they are free to go work somewhere else. It's the owners right to want their cap and the players right to refuse.

i respect that opinion. i would change one thing though.

Hockey_Nut99 said:
It might not be fair but to me the owners own these teams and they can do what they want .

i would change "can" to "will because they can"

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

year 1 - 53m cap
year 2 - 48m cap

dr
If the NHLPA was interested in that they'd have got it done. Bettman would phasing it in if it meant he got his magical 55%. Both sides aren't arguing about next year, both sides are positioning themselves for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th years. That's when Goodenow wants salaries to go back up, its when Bettman wants salaries held down. Bob isn't going to sign anything that damages his long term position. Bob isn't going to want to go into the next CBA with 55% locked in from the previous position.

Brent Burns Beard