Line Combos: Lines Until Matty Returns

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hopefully he's back by Saturday, but if not, what would you like the lines to look like?

I'd like to see:

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Nylander - Kapanen
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Plekanec - Martin​

Komarov adds some size, and defensive capabilities to the speedy Nylander, Kapanen Duo, and has played with Kappy on the 4th Line

Mar-Kad-Mar looks good and sticks together, as does the third line

Martin adds some toughness and energy, will return to the press-box when Matthews is back (4th line can cycle the puck)

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

Nothing to do with Matthews, but this gives us 3 solid pairings going into the playoffs​

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Give more minutes to Kapanen 5 on 5. Promote Dermott and demote Hainsey for the time being. Demote Brown while he figures it out. Play Leivo

Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Leivo
Komarov - Plekanec - Brown

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Man, had Gardiner returned to being the "The Bad Jake". He should be sitting as much as anyone. Maybe the Leafs need Martin in the lineup. Like to see Nylander have a run at centre or at least till Matthews is back.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
JVR - Willy - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Plekanec - Hyman
Komarov - Bozak - Brown

Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hyman-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Plekanec-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Dermott-Zaitsev

its tough to make good d pairings with this group.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think with the way Martin and the 4th line was playing, we'll be seeing that again on saturday.

Hyman-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Plekanec-Komarov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak

member 147413

Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Hyman
Komarov - Bozak - Kapanen
Martin - Plekanec - Brown

Leivo is garbage

Rielly - Carrick
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

Roll the D evenly because we don’t have any potential pairing that is capable of shutting down top lines.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Hyman
Komarov-Plekanec-Brown

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hy Ny Marn
Marl Kadri Kap
JVR Boz Brown
Mart Plek Komarov

Gardiner Hainsey
Rielly Carrick
Dermott Z

member 262271

I don't think Babcock will ever stack the lines, it's frustrating but who knows, it might pay off somehow. At this point I'm expecting the same lines with maybe a very minor tweak, I could see Martin staying in the lineup and Leo being rewarded, too. We'll see what Babs does.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I just want to see Nylander at Center until at least the return of Matthews. I would love for the coach to separate JVR and Bozak but that might be too much of a big change in line chemistry but nows the time to try. Anyways I wouldn’t mind something like

Hyman Kadri Marner
JVR Nylander Kapanen
Marleau Bozak Brown
Martin Plekanec Komarov

I think Bozak would look a lot better defensively with 2 wingers who keep it simple.

Kadri and Marner lose a bit of talent on the left but Hyman can be a pretty good weapon with skilled players and i always thought he would be a good fit with Kadri as our checking line.

Nylander ends up getting a couple good wingers and would be our sheltered scoring line. He has Some chemistry with Kapanen and JVR can be a pretty good finisher so this line might work good

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Frankly its hard not to think the Leafs fold like tents in a Playoff vs Boston, ..Best to Stick Babcock in the stands for a month and let Smith take the reins and see where this team actually is.
Better to get beat by Boston than beat by your own coach which has happened far too many times.

Badcock and Hyman can write a children's book on mental health issues caused by coaching.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Given that we wanna stay healthy now and not have any BS happen to our guys I would put Martin in the line up rest of the way

I would go something like this:

Hyman-Nylander-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Plek-Komarov

Gardiner Hainsey
Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

Reactions: Its not your fault

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Frankly its hard not to think the Leafs fold like tents in a Playoff vs Boston, ..Best to Stick Babcock in the stands for a month and let Smith take the reins and see where this team actually is.
Better to get beat by Boston than beat by your own coach which has happened far too many times.

Badcock and Hyman can write a children's book on mental health issues caused by coaching.
Lol have a bit of faith I find it hard to think that that wouldn’t be a good close series even if Boston is playing like 1 of the best teams in the league right now

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I consider Komarov and C.Brown as two good responsibly defensive forwards. I consider Marleau and Marner as two good offensive forwards with only so-so defensive work. Babcock throws Kadri in either or. The end result was low/no scoring and a maybe a 0 or +1 on the night. And now the scoring is up, and the +/- is somewhat shaky. Some don't like the idea of Komarov on Kadri's line... but I don't think it's half as bad if you have someone like Marner or Nylander on the other side. Things balance out.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
This is my 9 yr old daughters line up

JVR NYLANDER KAPPANEN

MARLEAU KADRI MARNER

HYMAN BOZAK BROWN

MARTIN PLEKS KOMOROV

RIELEY DERMOTT
GARDNER CARRICK
HAINSEY ZIATIAV

Last edited: