Lines for Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I fully agree that he has to earn it. Which is why this topic is sort of pointless now. :)

I also respect that you can keep a level-headed opinion towards him, being one of the few Flames fans who can. My reasoning for why I feel he WILL be a key part for Canada is simply that the style of game is plays is very rare, and will be great at opening up space for the more skilled forwards.

Say what you want about Nash and Thornton and their size, but there is not a more physically dominating forward in the NHL than Todd Bertuzzi.

Zaddik

Phanuthier said:
ok, humour me. What exactly has Todd Bertuzzi doen that shows "he's a great player" that makes him deserving over those players who have actually won something and have experiance at the international level?

Your a lawyer, so you should know a thing or two about selling someone (well ok, not directly corralated) ... if you were on the Olympic Comittee, how would you sell Todd Bertuzzi that makes him better then Simon Gagne, Joe Sakic, Vincent Lecavlier, Brad Richards or Dany Heatley? I'd include Iginla, but he's on scratch list.

i've already said it time and time again: he demonstrates this on the ice, not through awards won. he is capable of changing the outcome of a game. That should be enough to get a spot on the team.

by the way, i was only humoring you when i said i was a lawyer.

I have no idea what the heck your talking about

of what you've posted in this thread, you're logic seems to be that people who have shown better numbers in the past season should be included in this thread (hence you mention bertuzzi's 17 goal output as being the reason why he shouldn't be on this team). but then, you mention how iginla's output this season is off, and so you change your tune.

i have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

Ok, what has Bertuzzi ever done that has showed his "maturity" ? His ability to handle big games? Nope. His ability to handle tough situations? Nope, that almost landed him in prison. His consistantcy? He's sure not showing that either, and hasn't for years. Exactly what has Bertuzzi done that makes him "mature"?

his 'lack' of handling the big games is short sighted. when you have the top defenseman in the playoffs barreling down on you, this not only creates space for other linemates (hence naslund's impressive output) but your chances of scoring points is limited. he handles himself well.

his ability to handle tough situations? are you kidding me? after all the garbage he went through this past year and rebounding now, i think he's handled that tough situation quite well.

and his consistency? well isn't he showing that now? saying that he was never consistant is ignorant. you obviously have not seen him enough.

...theo fleury was a pathetic player like bert ooo

that is your opinion and i could care less in regards to that.

to put a relevant spin on what i've said to this thread, bertuzzi on the 2nd line or 1st line with top six minutes is as i've stressed to be a wise choice and one that could prove lethal in the future. marginalizing him to be on the 4th line with 4th line minutes as people have him to be is just misguided.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Last warning: This is a topic for the LINES of team Canada, not whether Bertuzzi or Nash should be on the roster or not.

Try to bring it back to the lines and not just those two.

Phanuthier*

Zaddik said:
i've already said it time and time again: he demonstrates this on the ice, not through awards won. he is capable of changing the outcome of a game. That should be enough to get a spot on the team.
Ok, when? A couple games? 3 years ago? The fact is, Bertuzzi has done nothing to warrent being the go-to-guy on the team. I've pointed it out time and time again, which you have ignored, there are tons of players that have shown that they can raise the occation and come up big in big games, and that's why they're on the top line. Gagne-Sakic-Iginla was the top line for Canada in the 2002 games, and that's why they are the top line. Iginla might just be overlooked for his poor play this season (I wouldn't, but Team Canada likely will) because of his accomplishments, and outside of Sakic and Brodeur the most accomplished player on Team Canada's roster. The 2nd line, Nash-Thornton-? (Nash seemed to reinjure himself tonight, so we'll see) was absolutly dominating for Team Canada in the World Championships. If the Team Canada brass decide to keep the Tampa trio together, you have Richards - Lecavlier - St Louis who each have an MVP title, one a NHL regular season MVP, one a playoff MVP and one a Team Canada MVP. This is a good team and you overlook that. You are, for some odd reason, willing to overlook all these players and think they should be bumped down to the 3rd and 4th lines, because Bertuzzi had a couple good games and had a good season 3-4 years ago?

Don't bet on it

Zaddik said:
of what you've posted in this thread, you're logic seems to be that people who have shown better numbers in the past season should be included in this thread (hence you mention bertuzzi's 17 goal output as being the reason why he shouldn't be on this team). but then, you mention how iginla's output this season is off, and so you change your tune.
I'll try to turn this as much as I can to the mods liking, but I never said Jarome should be given a free bye. Iginla, to me, should be the 13th forward, and the only reason he is even on the roster is because of what he's accoplished in his career and for Team Canada. The reason I bring up the fact that Bertuzzi had only 17 goals was to show that he hasn't played up to par for years. I'm not talking about a couple bad games here and there, I'm talking about a guy who, realistically, had 1 good season a couple years ago, only to completely fall off and hasn't regained the form until a couple weeks ago. Yes, I know what Bertuzzi can do. I get that Bertuzzi can go to the net like a bull. But when the games on the line, I'm betting Pat Quinn and co will look down their bench, see the play of (should they make it) Eric Staal and/or Jason Spezza and Simon Gagne, see a full line of MVP's, see the accomplishments of Jarome Iginla and Joe Sakic, and you think he'll put his neck out on the line for Bertuzzi? Unless Bertuzzi whoops the crap out of the tournament (which he very much can if he's on ehis game) Bertuzzi rides the pine IMO. It's a short tournament, and so maybe he can get his act together, but so far, Bertuzzi has shown little more then being a hot head to takes stupid penelties at bad times, he can lose his control on the ice (has 3 major suspensions spanning 10 or more games) and has no consistantcy. Bertuzzi is an enigma, a guy who can be a game breaker for you, but can also break the game for you. And when push comes to shove, there are too many better options then Bertuzzi unless Bertuzzi plays well enough to force Team Canada's hand. (And, to furhtur that, I don't think that should be too hard to unseed Iginla if Jarome keeps on pissing his way through the season)

Zaddik said:
i
his 'lack' of handling the big games is short sighted. when you have the top defenseman in the playoffs barreling down on you, this not only creates space for other linemates (hence naslund's impressive output) but your chances of scoring points is limited. he handles himself well.
And Iginla, Sakic, Gagne, St Louis, Richards, Lecavlier, Nash, Thornton and Heatley don't face top defenseman? All these players face a tough defense, yet Bertuzzi is the only one that gets off scott-free?

Not a chance

Zaddik said:
his ability to handle tough situations? are you kidding me? after all the garbage he went through this past year and rebounding now, i think he's handled that tough situation quite well.
Oh, ok, let's look at how he handled coming back from "the incident." He slept walked his way through the 2 months of hockey. Whoops, looks like he didn't rebound as well as you thought.

A couple good games does not make a season. Bertuzzi has played very well over the past couple games, but that does not make up for the majority of it which he was completely invisible and ineffective.

Zaddik said:
and his consistency? well isn't he showing that now? saying that he was never consistant is ignorant.
No, ignorance is thinking a couple good games is "consistancy." If that's the case, hot-damn, Kristan Huselius is a consistant performer.

Zaddik said:
to put a relevant spin on what i've said to this thread,
Who does he displace, and what possible justification do you have that Todd Bertuzzi should displace this player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad