Line Combos: Lines for Next Game

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
please, please, please DONT PLAY POLAK, Send Hyman down the line up, and play Bozak on the 4th line if he's good to go

Marleau - - Matthews - - Marner
Komarov - - - - Kadri - - - - Brown
VanRiemsdyk - Nylander - Hyman
Martin - - - - - Bozak - - - - - Leivo

Rielly - - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Anderson​

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
More like....

Brown-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Leivo
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Moore-Hyman

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner- Zaitsev
Borgman-Carrick

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
please, please, please DONT PLAY POLAK, Send Hyman down the line up, and play Bozak on the 4th line if he's good to go

Marleau - - Matthews - - Marner
Komarov - - - - Kadri - - - - Brown
VanRiemsdyk - Nylander - Hyman
Martin - - - - - Bozak - - - - - Leivo

Rielly - - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Anderson​

Yeah I'm sure there's a good chance that will happen. We just need people to post this a few thousand times more and Babcock will come around, good thing you thought of it.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Yeah I'm sure there's a good chance that will happen. We just need people to post this a few thousand times more and Babcock will come around, good thing you thought of it.

It's true, I can't believe no one has thought of this already.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hyman should be playing a specialty role. PK and checking line role. Him with Komarov would make for a great shutdown line ala Draper-Maltby line in the good old days in Detroit. Come on Babcock you know you have it, do it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like the way Babcock coaches and agree with lines combos and rewarding TOI/g and opportunity on player performance both promoting and demoting players as needed.

The only real option is Brown or Nylander on RW with Matthews.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I mean, dream line up with Nylander at C?

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Martin-Moore-Leivo

Gives Nylander 2-way wingers to help him transition and Marleau can take face-offs if he gets kicked out.

I like this lineup. That said where's Bozak? And I keep hearing that Gauthier is a fantastic defensive center. Can play the PK and is being molded as a shutdown center. Do we trade Bozak, bring up Gauthier and let him play center while keeping Nylander on the wing with Kadri.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Komarov-Gauthier-Brown
Martin-Moore-Hyman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wait. People have an issue with Hyman on the 1st line? When did this happen? Why hasn't anyone said so?
Maybe someone should start a couple threads to whine about it?

I believe it's a recent development. And people seem to be reluctant to openly be critical of Babcock so they post in threads that would seem to have nothing to do with the subject, like OT and goaltending and such. And then they're really subtle in their criticism and you have to read between the lines, in fact I may have misunderstood the whole thing.

Reactions: saltming

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Should be

JVR Matthews Marner ..... - Primary scoring line

Hyman Kadri Brown ...... -Match up and shut down line

Leivo Marleau Nylander ..... -Secondary scoring let Nylander and Marleau share the centre ice duties

Martin Moore Komarov ..... -4th line

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I believe it's a recent development. And people seem to be reluctant to openly be critical of Babcock so they post in threads that would seem to have nothing to do with the subject, like OT and goaltending and such. And then they're really subtle in their criticism and you have to read between the lines, in fact I may have misunderstood the whole thing.
It's a Babcock double entendre!
Well they should just come out and air their feelings ad nauseum so as not to repress their feelings.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I like the way Babcock coaches and agree with lines combos and rewarding TOI/g and opportunity on player performance both promoting and demoting players as needed.

The only real option is Brown or Nylander on RW with Matthews.

I'd agree if he was consistent. Hyman and Komarov often times deserve that demotion and it doesnt happen. I think opportunity is based on player effort even if they arent performing.

I'm also one of those people who dont mind Hyman on that top line, but I recognize that some nights it just doesnt work. However, when that line isnt going it is normally Nylander or Marner that comes off of it, rather than Hyman.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Hyman
Martin-Moore-Leivo

Gives Nylander 2-way wingers to help him transition and Marleau can take face-offs if he gets kicked out.

You went "old school" on us...You made us a #1 and #2 line with a checking #3 line and a role playing #4 line.

Babcock runs out 3 and sometimes 4 scoring lines that can almost play against any lines. We have 10'ish or so top 6 type players, this is our depth and our advantage

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
:huh: .....why?

Willie makes the line more dangerous offensively and Brownie makes the line better defensively and so depending on the opposition line they face that game you could play the match-up as needed.

The line has its worker and it has its 2-way C so the missing ingredient is someone that can play off of Matthews, and also be a finisher so that Auston doesn't draw all the Ozone coverage as they are also a threat to score.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Willie makes the line more dangerous offensively and Brownie makes the line better defensively and so depending on the opposition line they face that game you could play the match-up as needed.

The line has its worker and it has its 2-way C so the missing ingredient is someone that can play off of Matthews, and also be a finisher so that Auston doesn't draw all the Ozone coverage as they are also a threat to score.

If only we had another RW capable of such things.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Hyman
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Martin-Moore-Leivo

I like it, but Kadri might not like it so much...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like it, but Kadri might not like it so much...

Definitely tough for Kadri, he does a lot of his damage on the power play though. Hyman at least has the same agenda though, get it into the opposition's end and keep it there. Less frustrating for Matthews too as he'll have 2 offensive options on his flanks for a change.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Balanced scoring is a beautiful thing.

Hyman (5 goals) -- Matthews (13) -- Brown (8) = 26 goals
Marleau (10) ------ Kadri (13) ----- - Komarov (3) = 26 goals
JVR (13) ----------- Bozak (4) ------- Nylander (5) = 22 goals

If you flip Brownie and Nylander like Babs tends to its 23 goals, 26 goals and 25 goals from lines 1-3.

Leafs top 9 forwards combined for 74 goals of 99 goals GF scored = 75% of the teams offense.

Leafs 4th line and defense combined for 25 goals.

= Balanced attack ..

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Should be

JVR Matthews Marner ..... - Primary scoring line

Hyman Kadri Brown ...... -Match up and shut down line

Leivo Marleau Nylander ..... -Secondary scoring let Nylander and Marleau share the centre ice duties

Martin Moore Komarov ..... -4th line

I like this. Though I would still take Bozak over Moore.

And even though I think that Hyman should be on the 4th line (of the Marlies)... I could see him doing well with Kadri and Brown. That would be a perfectly acceptable compromise IMO. Babcock could still use him in a lot of minutes. Hyman - Brown could be first on the PK.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I like this. Though I would still take Bozak over Moore.

And even though I think that Hyman should be on the 4th line (of the Marlies)... I could see him doing well with Kadri and Brown. That would be a perfectly acceptable compromise IMO. Babcock could still use him in a lot of minutes. Hyman - Brown could be first on the PK.

Moore has the same number of goals, and just 2 less points, than Bozak on the year - despite playing 8 games and about 3 average minutes less.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Balanced scoring is a beautiful thing.

Hyman (5 goals) -- Matthews (13) -- Brown (8) = 26 goals
Marleau (10) ------ Kadri (13) ----- - Komarov (3) = 26 goals
JVR (13) ----------- Bozak (4) ------- Nylander (5) = 22 goals

If you flip Brownie and Nylander like Babs tends to its 23 goals, 26 goals and 25 goals from lines 1-3.

Leafs top 9 forwards combined for 74 goals of 99 goals GF scored = 75% of the teams offense.

Leafs 4th line and defense combined for 25 goals.

= Balanced attack ..

Lol you're so passive aggressive.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
I love the idea of Nylander at centre with Marner, and maybe Hyman on the other wing. Let me explain, because I think this IS where it is going to go. All of the machinations about where to put Marner and Nylander to get them out of slumps -- put them together!! I predict this could be an unbelievable line. First, worry about defence? The other team will never have the puck. Second, both Nylander and Marner are playmakers -- you will see some dazzle with these two together. Third, they will be energized by playing with each other. I honestly don't think Marner should be saddled with Bozak, or Nylander is crucial to Matthews -- he is a machine on his own and will generate his results. Fourth, less pressure on each of them by putting them together. And.... I heard today that the current lines include these two together. Hope it works...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Babs’ ideal starting lineup:

Martin-Hyman-Komarov

Borgman-Polak

(Borgman doesn’t deserve to be listed with the aforementioned four as he’s not a Babcock favourite, but not even Babs is crazy enough to play Polak by himself, though he’d clone him if he could).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->