Line Combos: Line Predictions for 17/18

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
your predictions on starting lineups... AS WELL as lineups that will prevail towards the end of the year aka growth and development of players

just wondering what people feel what's going to happen i aint as knowledgeable on these matters these days

excuse my french if there's an existing thread

leafs.jpg

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Matthews line faces the shut down lines and generally not given favorable line changing scenarios. That is, you exhaust his line, force a line shift and only then call your guys back to the bench. For that reason alone, Matthews is going to need a #1LW on the top line

That guy is clearly JVR. He's a lefty meaning that he's a far more natural on the LW. Now either keep Nylander as the trigger guy or promote Brown/ Kapanen/Soshnikov.

JVR - Matthews - Right-handed shooter

Personally, I'd even consider having Marner play with Kadri to produce a highly threatening shut down lime. Ideally, you'd want a dominant Matthews line out first in TOI but Kadri with an elite scorer can log comparable TOI against the opposing top lines. The idea here is that we need to be able to punish opposing top lines especially when they're on fire. Kadri's GF:GA ratio isn't high enough to play that low-scoring, defensively tight, John Madden role.

Komarov - Kadri - Marner

As for Bozak, he's probably going to be the depth-scoring center. It may even be a good idea to groom Nylander as a center by having him play as a playmaker on the left wing. On that side of the half-boards, he'll be able to control the flow of the puck. Brown can be more of a all situational triggerman just as he was on the Otters.

Nylander? - Bozak - Brown

Finally, the fourth line is one that I can see go anywhere. Boyle's presence means that Gauthier will be allowed to further develop in the AHL. Thinking....

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

PS: I am not too sure about the D-core. It wasn't really the limiting factor in the playoffs, but I can see Gardiner - Zaitsev remain while Rielly gets revolving door partner. Essentially, D duties are going to be less shouldered on Rielly who will likely be allowed to be more offensive next season. It'd be quite nice if we can find him a partner that can shoot and allow him to play a puck rushing defenseman. Who makes up the third pairing should be interesting as well.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
your predictions on starting lineups... AS WELL as lineups that will prevail towards the end of the year aka growth and development of players

just wondering what people feel what's going to happen i aint as knowledgeable on these matters these days

excuse my french if there's an existing thread

leafs.jpg

In hindsight it was extremely foolish of TSN to leave Marner off of their projected roster last year.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
This is difficult to do before the offseason has even begun. I'll try my hand at it anyway based on what we currently have, and some moves I believe we have a chance of making. Also, I will not set the lines as I would but how I think Babs would to make it look more realistic.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Doan (Favor to AM)
Martin/Rychel - Boyle - Soshy

Rielly - Vatanen
Gardiner - Z-Man
Dermott - Hunny
Marincin/Rosen

We lose carrick to Vegas and move jvr + picks and or prospects to ana for vats.

Irish

Jun 15, 2016
JVR Matthews Marner
Kapanen Joe Thornton Nylander
Komarov Kadri Soshnikov
Hyman Bozak Leivo

Gardiner - Manson
Reilly - Zaitsev
Dermott/Rosen/Borgman - UFA

Freddie
Steve Mason

*Martin claimed in expansion draft
*Brown and Carrick traded to Anaheim for Manson

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've been wondering. In what world does Vatanen serve as a top pairing guy? I suppose his hockey sense is alright, but he's not a defensive stabilizer. If anything, he lacks in the size department and probably can't play the more abrasive style in front of the net.

Remember people, Rielly is not a elite puck suppressor. You probably want a bullish mobile D ( not necessarily height) that can stabilize the back-end. A puck-moving talent would be ideal and I think of someone like Michael Del Zotto. He could be a solid interim, all-situational, number 1 while Rielly needs to release his P.K. Subban and start playing more pretty.

Turning into a tamed "two-way" defenseman is why people think Trouba is a better defenseman. He isn't. In fact, I'd argue that Rielly is more in line with the puck-rushing defenseman of the future, i.e. Karlsson, P.K. Subban who most now prefer over Ekblad. In the past, I've argued that the Ekblad tries-to-do-everything-but-looks-mediocre defenseman are going be second to highly creative puck rushing defenseman. I have Noah Hanifin as an exception, because he's an "all-round" defenseman that is centered around effective passing and gliding around the blue ala Niedermayer. Nevertheless, if we're going to better compliment Morgan Rielly, get someone that's a lot more like Jake Gardiner at the bare minimum.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR Matthews Marner
Kapanen Joe Thornton Nylander
Komarov Kadri Soshnikov
Hyman Bozak Leivo

Gardiner - Manson
Reilly - Zaitsev
Dermott/Rosen/Borgman - UFA

Freddie
Steve Mason

*Martin claimed in expansion draft
*Brown and Carrick traded to Anaheim for Manson

And what;s your explanation for Thornton :laugh:

supercilious

Jan 14, 2012
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Soshnikov - Bozak - Martin

Gardiner - Demers (or other similar RHD via trade)
Rielly - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
Whoever

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Hyman --- Matthews --- Nylander
Komarov --- Kadri --- Brown
Kapanen --- Bozak --- Marner
Martin --- Boyle --- Soshnikov
Rychel / Leivo

Gardiner --- Zaitsev
Rielly --- Demers
Hunwick --- Rosen
Marincin / Marchenko

JVR traded, a vet D-man brought in. God I hope Marincin is jettisoned out of here, but they might hold on to him as cheap injury insurance.

I'd much rather see:

Kapanen --- Matthews --- Leivo
Komarov --- Kadri --- Marner
Hyman --- Nylander --- Brown
Martin --- Boyle --- Soshnikov
Rychel

Trade Bozak and JVR for picks / young centre depth

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
My turn:

Kapanen Matthews Nylander (stoopid speed, skill, defense, finishing, frightening combo)

Leivo/Rychel Thorton/Bozak Marner (JVR gone, finisher/cycler guy on LW, prefer Joe, Marner shoots)

Komarov Kadri Brown (small decrease in points but solid D with grit)

Martin Boyle Hyman/Sosh (10 min/night, size and drive, not many points)

Grundstrom/Leipsic/Fehr

Rielly Dumba/Manson/Tanev (Tanev, please :) but a sound RD by way of JVR + ? trade)

Gards Zietsev (I don't really know if this is the 1st D or 2nd about = to above?)

Hunwick/ Carrick (decent puck control and skating for 3rd pair, would like to see Dermott make the leap, stronger than Hunwick)
Dermott

Rosen/Marchenko

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman---Mathews---Nylander
Komarov---Kadri-----Brown
Rychel----Bozak-----Marner
Martin---Thompson--Comeau

Rielly-----Dumba
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick--Klein

Anderson

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
As of right now ...

Kasperi Kapanen`Auston Matthews `William Nylander
Van Riemsdyk`Tyler Bozak`Mitch Marner
Zach Hyman`Nazem Kadri `Connor Brown
Matt Martin`Leo Komarov `Nikita Soshnikov

Morgan Rielly `Nikita Zaitsev
Jake Gardiner`Calle Rosén
Andreas Borgman/Travis Dermott`Connor Carrick

Last edited:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think this would give us two good shutdown lines, one of which should also be able to score:

Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Boyle - Hyman

Arrange the big guns and a role player or two on the other two lines.

Doubt Martin sits though :shrug:

AJ93

May 8, 2002
* JVR traded for a top4 dman - (before the EX draft)
** (If dman in JVR trade is non-exempt for EX draft, then leave Carrick unprotected for draft)
* Bozak traded for picks - (before the EX draft)
* Carrick taken by Vegas

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
Leipsic - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Hyman - Soshnikov
(Rychel)

Rielly - (JVR trade)
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott/Borgman/Rosen

Andersen
(FA - Condon/Elliott/Kuemper)

OR if Leafs sign Joe Thornton as a UFA to a 1 or 2 year deal....

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
Leipsic - Thornton - Nylander
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Komarov - Hyman
(Rychel / Soshnikov)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Need to know the roster to set lines but one certainty is Marner has to get away from Bozak and JVR.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'll do my best without going into the trade details. This is mostly what I want to happen and mixed in with some obvious pairings and likely moves.

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Moore - Kapanen
Rychel

Rielly - Demers
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Smith - Carrick
Rosen - Marchenko

Andersen
Pavelec or Nilsson

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good point- a 61 point rookie campaign is damn awful when paired with those two.

He's good enough to put up points with anyone. Another season of doing all the heavy lifting for those two won't help him going forward.

Sometimes you need to think past a stat line and look long range.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
He's good enough to put up points with anyone. Another season of doing all the heavy lifting for those two won't help him going forward.

Sometimes you need to think past a stat line and look long range.

The Leafs are fortunate to have three game breaking talents up front. Teams often spread the wealth and that means leaving Marner on a line with two inferior players for matchup purposes.

Marner was fine with Bozak and JVR.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
People seem to be expecting a lot of changes in lines...

JVR - Bozak - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Boyle - Martin

Rielly - XXX
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Carrick - Hunwick

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
A bit up in the air now with the expansion draft and possible trades for D, but as the roster stands now I would like to see.. (lines not in any specific order)

Grundstrom --- Matthews --- Nylander
Komarov --- Kadri ---Leivo/Soshnikov/Kapanen
Brown--- Bozak --- Marner
Martin --- UFA--- Hyman

Rielly - (JVR trade hopefully)
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - UFA/Borgman/Rosen/Holl

I think Grundstrom would be an upgrade over Hyman. Same grit for getting to pucks, but MUCH better finishing. I'm betting at least 2 of Leivo/Soshnikov/Kapanen/Brown are gone in a D man deal and expansion.

If Bozak is traded at the deadline, then Nylander moves to 3C and if (another IF) Kapanen is still here, he is slotted in at RW with Willie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->