Marleau -- Nylander -- Brown
Komarov -- Kadri -- Kappanen
Martin - Bozak - VanRiemsdyk
*Soshnikov --- Moore --- Leivo*

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak
*Borgman - Carrick*

Matthews and Nylander have been tearing it up, but can both drive their own lines at this point. Nylander at C with Marleau still allows them to take their strong side faceoff's and Brown can battle for pucks, help out defensively and chip in on the offence. Shut down line with Kadri and Komarov gets some additional speed and more offensive potential. HAVE NOT been impressed with Bozak and JVR. Let them chip in on the forecheck on the 4th line until their contracts run out unless there is a trade to be made. And obviously MATTHEWS IS MATTHEWS, he will play with Hyman forever and Marner would compliment him very well as a playmaker.

The defence is meh..
we need another top 4 guy to say the least

Share your line options below!

Reactions: hullsy47

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
•Tyler Bozak and Trevor Moore for Vadim Shipachyov @50%, Brayden McNabb, 2019 3rd (Ship termination)
•Komarov for Picks

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Shipachyov - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McNabb
Polak, Borgman demoted

Andersen
Pickard

*if Ship really is a bust, terminate contract call up Aaltonen (he will be solid and should already be in an NHL Top 9)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
•Tyler Bozak and Trevor Moore for Vadim Shipachyov @50%, Brayden McNabb, 2019 3rd (Ship termination)
•Komarov for Picks

JVR - Shipachyov - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McNabb
Polak, Borgman demoted

Andersen
Pickard

*if Ship really is a bust, terminate contract call up Aaltonen (he will be solid and should already be in an NHL Top 9)

I am not really sure what you are thinking? our "C" depth is so thin and you willing to trade Moore? and exactly how do you terminate the contract?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Matthews and Nylander have been tearing it up, but can both drive their own lines at this point.
The center drives the line as Babcock like to say. He never believed a winger can drive a line until he saw Kane play in Chicago. That means in 25+ years of being in hockey, Babcock never saw a winger who can drive a line.

That is a moot point for Toronto, seeing how Marner is playing, so the next best thing is to do the same old thing, the center drives the line.

Matthews
Kadri
Marleau
Moore

It goes back to Bozak. Do they want him at center?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I am not really sure what you are thinking? our "C" depth is so thin and you willing to trade Moore? and exactly how do you terminate the contract?
Trevor Moore is a winger on the Marlies and mutual contract termination is a things. Leafs did it with Marchenko and Habs did it with Reway yesterday as a more recent example.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Leivo
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Kapanen

(Going off of what other rentals near their calibre have gotten)
Trade JVR for a 1st plus prospect
Trade Bozak for a 1st

You now have 3 firsts and 2 seconds in the upcoming draft. You can use them to get a defensemen from a rebuilding team like Tanev, or we can keep them and stock up our cupboards for the Big 3 extension era and give the guys skilled players on ELCs to win with

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
•Komarov for Picks

JVR - Shipachyov - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McNabb
Polak, Borgman demoted

Andersen
Pickard

Shipaychov wouldnt make our roster.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Matthews - Leivo
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Kapanen

(Going off of what other rentals near their calibre have gotten)
Trade JVR for a 1st plus prospect
Trade Bozak for a 1st

You now have 3 firsts and 2 seconds in the upcoming draft. You can use them to get a defensemen from a rebuilding team like Tanev, or we can keep them and stock up our cupboards for the Big 3 extension era and give the guys skilled players on ELCs to win with

Exactly, i think its become clear that Bozak & JVR cant get us a Dman, stock up on picks and use those to acquire one.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Trevor Moore is a winger on the Marlies and mutual contract termination is a things. Leafs did it with Marchenko and Habs did it with Reway yesterday as a more recent example.

My mistake I wasn't reading properly and got mixed up Dominic Moore, I wasn't even thinking about Trevor and now coming back to terminating the contract it's not that simple to termination. The recent example is Mike Richards, his contract was not terminated due to his inconsistent performance(s), but he was charged with having possession of a controlled substance (oxycodone) at the Canadian border. The organization justified the termination by stating that there was “a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Players Contract”.

I doubt if a player making $4.5 M would even consider a mutual contract termination, but nothing wrong with taking a chance on him as he has all the talent and skill set to be successful in this league

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
JVR - Marleau- Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore - Kapanen
Leivo

trade Bozak

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hyman matthews marner
marleau kadri leo
jvr nylander brown
leivo bozak kapanen

now these are deadly lines, if we down we move hyman and leo down and bring more offense up from the 4th line

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
A combo of what i would like to see happen and what Babcock May try.....

Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Jvr. Bozak. Nylander
Marleau. Kadri. Brown
Martin. Moore. Komorov

Nylander can carry the puck and be the d conscience of the jvr line.

Reactions: The Cobra

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
VanRyk - Nylander - Marleau
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Bozak - Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren

- 1st line loses a bit but should still be great
- get Nylander 2 big strong goalscorers on his wings to form a dominant 2nd line.
- keep the great checking line intact.
- get bozak down to the 4th line where he can do the least damage, still be available for the PP, and hopefully that 4th line feasts on easy matchups.
- keep Martin ready to sub in in case we need some toughness

- get our most talented dmen in the lineup.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Honestly there will not be many changes to the lineup as long as the same guys are around and healthy. Hyman, Matthews, Nylander, Komarov, Marleau, Kadri, Brown, Bozak, JvR and Marner are the top 10, with Martin and Moore being the other two and Leivo, Kapanen and Co. as the depth.

Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner and Zaitsev are the top 4. You could switch up that bottom pairing, which is arguably the second biggest defensive problem we have right now behind Bozak/JvR, but whether that happens is anyone's guess.

This team is winning games, but it's because of a few select players. The only way this will really work itself out is with personnel changes. You could throw the lines in the blender but the guys who aren't cutting it just don't have it in them. They are not those types of players (Bozak and JvR), they just are not ready yet (Borgman), or whatever other reason (Polak; likely his injury + lower ceiling in the first place).

garlicbread

Oct 3, 2017
Victoria
Hyman Matthews Marner
Marleau Nylander Kapanen
Komarov Kadri Brown
Leivo Moore Soshnikov

Marner can be the puck carrier / playmaker on the Matthews line.

Not much of a Bozak fan these days. I think this team improves if Nylander moves to center. Moving JVR for picks while sliding Marleau onto Nylander's wing and Komarov back to Kadri's wing could also make sense. The team still has good depth with Leivo and Soshnikov able to play up in the lineup.

Play Dermott and Carrick as the third pair. I like Borgman but think Dermott is better. Polak has been terrible.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Isn't JVR and Bozak in the lineup to max their trade value ?

Are people excluding them because they are designing lines for next year ?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Nothing is possible unless one of JVR or Bozak gets traded.
Below I assume JVR gets traded:

Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Marleau - Marner
Martin - Bozak - Moore

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If you want to trade Bozak, you have to ask what 12 teams he's willing to go to. Of those 12, you're unlikely to find a huge bidding war over an older UFA who's a career -93.
You might find a defenseman like Roman Polak, but making $4 million in return. Or perhaps a 2nd round pick. JVR also gets to block 10 teams he won't be traded to. But he's well within the top
100 scorers in the league. I almost feel like Bozak has gotten use to turning the reins of driving the line to Marner and now doesn't know what to do. Or he's gone so long
generating offense by cheating on defensive assignments, now he's doing less of each. JVR, Bozak, and Marner are the most successful Leafs on the power-play.
It's their 5 on 5 has been horrendous where they combine for 9 points. Usually they score enough to cover up their defensive woes. Bozak is actually a +2 on the road.
Perhaps it's having the wife and kid at the game that's making him lose focus? Right now, I still think the team needs to try and work though things and trades are a complete
knee-jerk reaction.

Reactions: wmark

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Matthews has Hyman
Kadri has Komarov
Guys that are puck hounds and go get it.

Bozak has had Kessel, JVR and Marner. Three guys that sit back and let others go get it. Switch Bozak and Kadri and its Kadri who these boards are screaming about. This team has to many of the same types of wingers. Need workers with skill.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
•Komarov for Picks

JVR - Shipachyov - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Moore - Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - McNabb
Polak, Borgman demoted

Andersen
Pickard

I like it. If I don't see Komarov on this team I am a happy man

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo-Nylander-Kapanen
JVR-Moore-Martin

Scratched-Bozak, Komarov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Borgman-Zaitsev

PP1 - Marleau-Matthews-Leivo-Nylander-Rielly
PP2 - JVR-Kadri-Brown-Marner-Zaitsev
PK1 - Hyman-Kapanen-Hainsey-Rielly
PK2 - Moore-Brown-Zaitsev-Borgman

Keep this for the entire Cali trip. Win or lose.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
My mistake I wasn't reading properly and got mixed up Dominic Moore, I wasn't even thinking about Trevor and now coming back to terminating the contract it's not that simple to termination. The recent example is Mike Richards, his contract was not terminated due to his inconsistent performance(s), but he was charged with having possession of a controlled substance (oxycodone) at the Canadian border. The organization justified the termination by stating that there was “a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Players Contract”.

I doubt if a player making $4.5 M would even consider a mutual contract termination, but nothing wrong with taking a chance on him as he has all the talent and skill set to be successful in this league

Ship already made it clear that he wont accept a demotion and will mutually terminate his contract if he cant find a position in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad