Rumor: Lindy Ruff did some good things for the Sabres

jwillo1829

Nov 1, 2011
Back when Ruff had passion. Imo he's too old, or he needed the change of scenery as well.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The 2005-2006 season was my favorite of all time as a Sabres fan. And Ruff had alot to do with that. He took the lockout season and got to know the players in Rochester. He did a season of prep work with them and got them ready to play his system, which was tailor made for the 'new' NHL. He got the most out of each of his players and deservingly won the Jack Adams that year. He's a good coach, but his message gets stale and he wears on players. He hung around long enough to get a whole new group by 2005 and his message was fresh again. He's going to land on his feet, and he's going to experience quite a bit of success wherever he goes.

Cheers Lindy.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The 2005-2006 season was my favorite of all time as a Sabres fan. And Ruff had alot to do with that. He took the lockout season and got to know the players in Rochester. He did a season of prep work with them and got them ready to play his system, which was tailor made for the 'new' NHL. He got the most out of each of his players and deservingly won the Jack Adams that year. He's a good coach, but his message gets stale and he wears on players. He hung around long enough to get a whole new group by 2005 and his message was fresh again. He's going to land on his feet, and he's going to experience quite a bit of success wherever he goes.

Cheers Lindy.
The last 3-4 months of the 05-06 season and the first 3 or so of the 06-07 season was the best time I've ever had following the Sabres. Maybe even any sports team since I was pretty young when the Bills went on their run (I was 9 at the end of it).

It's just too bad injuries conspired to take a Cup away from that team. It was there for the taking with Edmonton in the finals. There's no doubt in my mind a healthy Sabres team takes care of both the Canes and the Oil rather handily.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
To put into context how good the 05-07 Sabres were at their peak: over the last 43 games of the 05-06 season and first 39 of the 06-07 season the Sabres won 55 games (55-20-7). No NHL team has won that many in a season since the 05-06 Detroit Red Wings...who didn't win nearly as many games in the postseason than either the 05-06 or 06-07 Sabres.

And that included a 6 game losing streak in 05-06 (and 8 losses in 9) after Briere got healthy where they forgot that they still needed to play defense to win!

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I remember during the Dark Years, Lindy called a time out, drew up a play, pointed to his players along the bench and was very animated. The Sabres then went on to loose the ensuing faceoff and the puck was cleared out of the offensive zone. The camera went immediately to Ruff and he threw his note cards up in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryanbiggame*

I remember during the Dark Years, Lindy called a time out, drew up a play, pointed to his players along the bench and was very animated. The Sabres then went on to loose the ensuing faceoff and the puck was cleared out of the offensive zone. The camera went immediately to Ruff and he threw his note cards up in the air.

I remember that. Ha.
Last year mid-way through the season when we skidded around, I remember Razor said something like vanek made a bad play on the ice and of course Lindy yelled at him and vanek tuned him out and instantly Lindy yelled "LOOK AT ME WHEN I TALK TO YOU". Vanek vs Lindy, I wonder if Lindy even wanted to pay vanek the top bucks. Probably will never know unless one of them writes a book, I know for a fact that there had to be tons of tension between them two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad