Likely Rookies

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
For the Blues: Erik Johnson obviously and maybe Roman Polak. On the offensive side of things, Patrik Berglund has an outside chance of making the big club, Charles Linglet should also get a chance as an injury call-up. Michal Birner will be 2nd in line for injury call-ups mid-season I believe.

67dreamin

Apr 5, 2007
I might have missed it...but with the Penner exodus out of Anaheim...what are the chances Burke gives Bobby Ryan the opportunity to take his place on the top two lines in Anaheim?

theoil

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
Nilsson is not a rookie so he doesn't count for the Oilers. He played over 50 games for the Islanders I believe.

Hardly anybody on the Oiler board will agree with this but I think Tom Gilbert has a shot at making the team. The only thing stopping him is 7 one way contracts in front of him so a trade will have to happen. He is ahead of several of those players on the chart though (imo) so even if it takes Lowe time to open a spot I expect to see him on the team before Christmas and to stay. He played 12 games last year with the oil.

Cogliano and Schremp are both long shots. Cogs because he is straight out of college and Schremp because his season ended with a knee injury amongst other things.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
for the canucks

bourdon will dominate in the ahl and be a late season call up
edler will be a regular call up
hansen will be a regular call up
grabner will get a 9 game tryout
simek will stay in manitoba
raymond will get a few call ups
schneider will dominate the ahl

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the leafs actually have a number of rookies with a decent chance at making the big team at some point this season. At forward they have J.Williams, J.Tlusty, and K.Newbury, any of whom could make the team with a strong camp. On defense they have Stralman and Kronwall, at least one will make the team. And at some point in the season, if he plays well, Pogge might get a look as well in goal.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
For the Hawks, Toews is as much of a lock as one can imagine. Some Hawks fans think that Kane will make the team, but I'd be more willing to bet that Skille will make it.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
soulj43r said:
For the Flames, either one of Prust, Boyd or Taratukhin could make the team. But only one...

Ya it looks like the flames really like Taratukhin. I would rather Boyd who looked good on his second call up last year. Also their is room for a goalie and I think Curtis McElhinney will make it over Krahn. He out played him for the starting job in Omaha and he is a real character kid. Plus as a bonus he's from Calgary.

Looks like Krahn will be a career AHL player, which is disappointing since we took him in the top ten of the draft.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
Teemu said:
For the Hawks, Toews is as much of a lock as one can imagine. Some Hawks fans think that Kane will make the team, but I'd be more willing to bet that Skille will make it.

Kane is also a lock, he is the real deal. He tore apart the OHL after an impressive season with the US under18 team the year before. They will both be in the running for rookie of the year.

Anyone have any other ideas for rookie of the year??

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
For the sens maybe Ilya Zubov?

That'd be a pleasant surprise to me... does he have a good chance? I always liked him all of last year leading up to the draft and wanted the Pens to take him when they had the opportunity in round 2. I admit it's been tough to keep tabs on his development since the draft ended last year... what's he looking like these days?

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Kane is also a lock, he is the real deal. He tore apart the OHL after an impressive season with the US under18 team the year before. They will both be in the running for rookie of the year.

Anyone have any other ideas for rookie of the year??
If it wasn't for the tsunami of talent in this system on the cusp of the NHL, I'd say Kane is a lock too. But if a guy like Brouwer, Bolland, Bickell or Skille dominates in camp/exhibition, the smart money has DT sending Kane back to London and getting another year of entry-level out of him.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
massivegoonery said:
If it wasn't for the tsunami of talent in this system on the cusp of the NHL, I'd say Kane is a lock too. But if a guy like Brouwer, Bolland, Bickell or Skille dominates in camp/exhibition, the smart money has DT sending Kane back to London and getting another year of entry-level out of him.

Ya it looks like Chicago's only problem is that they are starting to have too many young prospects. I don't know where they will find places for all of them in NHL. In my opinion Chicago has drafted the best of any nhl team the past three or four years, and now it is starting to catch up to them. I don't think trading them all away like in the past is in order, but it means a few prospects will not get their look untill later.

Brouwer should get a good look if not a spot and Skille could play his way onto the team, but I would pick Kane over him. I saw kane play a couple of times in London and he just looked out of place. I don't think Junior would have much to offer him this year. Also by the looks of it London has started to vamp their roster for life after Kane (getting akim aliu and signing a couple of NCAA players over the summer). If Kane stays another year in London they will have a very scary team.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
mikethompson said:
does anyone know ehre dan bertram went? he kind of fell of the map.
He's going into his senior year at Boston College. He is another one of the many chicago blackhawks prospects.

I have some mutal friends of Dan and he has always said he will get his degree before he goes pro, he is a really smart kid. He should get some real good ice time with BC this year. The past couple of years BC has used him as a two way centre, however his offensive talents could be better used.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
He is 20 (1987) he started college a year early. He would be an overager in the whl, with the giants. I still never get why he didn't tell the giants that he was a lock to go NCAA, he was always one of those players who ya knew would skip on the WHL. Luckly the giants aren't really missing him, but I bet tri-city is kicking themselves for drafting Toews first the next year.

markstaud

Aug 7, 2007
Calgary
Ya I can't say enough about the kid. His dad played in the WHL and he made sure that he would get a degree before going pro. In Calgary growing up bertram was a star he is a guy that you hope the best for, Calgary had a chance to take him in the late first round but unstead we chose a band aid who no one had ever heard of, chicago sweeped him up with a second round pick. Which is something they seem to do a couple of times every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad