Likely Rookies

JacksonGalaxy

It seems likely Igor Grigorenko makes it for Detroit..

Kyle Quincey seems to be the 6/7 guy as it stands, he deserves a shot based on how he did in the playoffs. If he's the 7th guy I don't know if they'd keep him with the team since he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Those two are the only ones I'd consider likely. Others to consider, one would be Derek Meech. He's now eligible for waivers so he could stick around as the 7th guy but I don't think Detroit could keep him just for that reason, he'll have to earn it because we have plenty of young defenseman that could be there besides him.. Jakub Kindl could get on the team with a strong camp. There won't be a need to rush him though, he'd really have to impress because I think Quincey and Meech would be first. Matt Ellis is a long shot, looks like we have too many forwards now.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

What about Ty Wishart for the Sharks? Could he make it? He's already been signed last season.

Artful_Dodger*

What about Ty Wishart for the Sharks? Could he make it? He's already been signed last season.
I'd say Wishart is unlikely. He'd have to have a Vlasic like camp, +10 games.

Setoguchi, Kaspar, and Mitchell in that order among the forwards (maybe),

Spang on defense,

Patzold/Greiss in goal, depending on what the Sharks do about acquiring a goalie.

I'd say Setoguchi has highest likelihood overall based on his performances in the last few camps combined with the recognized hole in the Sharks' top six.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
For the Islanders:
-Bergenheim and Tambellini are near locks, as without them we're extremely shallow on the left side, not to mention they're as proven as it gets while still being a rookie.
-Nielsen or Nokelainen have an outside chance of making the team in a bottom six checking center role, though at least one will certainly see ice time when injuries hit.
-Dustin Kohn, Blake Comeau and Jeremy Colliton may also see icetime if injuries hit.

Blue Sur

Jul 4, 2007
Shyber's Pace
Erik Johnson should be a lock on the Blues blue line, and Roman Polak might earn a chance to prove his worth too (esp. given the injuries Dmen always have). In goal, Marek Schwarz might steal the spotlight if Bacashihua falls.

hawks35

Jul 6, 2007
What about Derik Brassard for Columbus, anyone know if he will make the roster this year?

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
As for Buffalo i think Marek Zagrapan as well as clark macarthur may not make it out of the camp but as the season goes on look for them to find there own place on the team.

Clarence Beeks

May 4, 2006
In the Deep South
I'm curious which guys will be making the jump this year.

For the Pens, Letang is the only likely rookie to make the team.

Can anybody help me out here?

I don't think that's quite accurate. There is the possibility that some of the guys who were in WBS last year that would still count as "rookies" like Lannon, Stone and Filewich could make the team this year. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility, that's for sure. Letang is pretty much a lock, but one or two of these other guys very well might make it as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
is Steckel and Schultz still considered a rookies?

If there are injuries on the blueline, Lepisto or Hunt might get some icetime with the caps
Good point on Lepisto and Hunt. Collins is another possible injury callup, depending on his progression.

Steckel just graduated from prospect status. Schultz should graduate after another 20 games or so, but for now he's another possibility. His steady play at the NHL level last season makes me forget that he's still considered a prospect.

Captainbabba

Jul 20, 2007
My Calder Cup favorites for right now have be:
Backstrom
Toews
Kane
the Johnson's Erik and Jack
Letang
and Igor Grigorenko as a dark horse in Detroit

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Backstrom
Toews
Kane
Letang

List looks pretty good, the usual suspects there. I'll add:

Usual Suspect Division: Peter Mueller

Dark Horse Division: Andy Greene

PS: It's the Calder Trophy..... the guys mentioned will consider it an injustice if they're only fighting for the Calder Cup. That's okay though, first post jitters... ;)

bergy37*

What about Bergfirs for New Jersey? Is he supposed to make the big squad and if he does will he have an impact?

PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Panthers McArdle, with a small chance of Tyler Plante, and an extremely small chance of Michael Frolik.

fred88

Jul 19, 2007
somebody knows if noah welch have a chance to play for florida next season?

coloradorockies80

Jul 4, 2007
What about Bergfirs for New Jersey? Is he supposed to make the big squad and if he does will he have an impact?

Bergfors had a great rookie year as an 18 year old in the AHL and started off this season well. However he definitely struggled from December 2006-end of season. I am not sure exactly why, but I think he lost a lot of confidence. He has a lot of potential and is still very young. He is expected to turn it around next year, and he has an outside shot at making the team at the start of the season and a pretty good chance at making it sometime during the year.

The Devils are constructed some what differently then other teams. The top six forwards are expected to score and obviously play D, third line is a shut down line, 4th line energy with players who can also contribute on the PP/PK (excluding last year). Bergfors is pegged to be a top six forward, so when the Devils feel he is ready to step into that role he will. They will give him a lot of minutes in the AHL rather then call him up to play a limited role on a bottom line. The third line on the devils is not a weaker line than the top six, they have a specific role, so players don’t really work their way up the ladder, they come in where they are expected to be and sometimes move around when needed.

David Clarkson and Andy Greene are pretty much locks for next year. Pelley, Tallackson, and Bergfors will likely get a good look.

bergy37*

Bergfors had a great rookie year as an 18 year old in the AHL and started off this season well. However he definitely struggled from December 2006-end of season. I am not sure exactly why, but I think he lost a lot of confidence. He has a lot of potential and is still very young. He is expected to turn it around next year, and he has an outside shot at making the team at the start of the season and a pretty good chance at making it sometime during the year.

The Devils are constructed some what differently then other teams. The top six forwards are expected to score and obviously play D, third line is a shut down line, 4th line energy with players who can also contribute on the PP/PK (excluding last year). Bergfors is pegged to be a top six forward, so when the Devils feel he is ready to step into that role he will. They will give him a lot of minutes in the AHL rather then call him up to play a limited role on a bottom line. The third line on the devils is not a weaker line than the top six, they have a specific role, so players don’t really work their way up the ladder, they come in where they are expected to be and sometimes move around when needed.

David Clarkson and Andy Greene are pretty much locks for next year. Pelley, Tallackson, and Bergfors will likely get a good look.

Thanks for the info! It was really helpful

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Backstrom
Toews
Kane
Letang

That's a pretty accurate list... of course there's always a few surprises, but you gotta go with these favorites right now... I like Grigorenko as the darkhorse; I want this kid to succeed so badly. He's had a tough road and I've been waiting to see him in red and white for a long time... hopefully his potential hasn't been affected TOO much.

Captainbabba

Jul 20, 2007
List looks pretty good, the usual suspects there. I'll add:

Usual Suspect Division: Peter Mueller

Dark Horse Division: Andy Greene

PS: It's the Calder Trophy..... the guys mentioned will consider it an injustice if they're only fighting for the Calder Cup. That's okay though, first post jitters... ;)

Thanks, I can't believe I wrote Calder Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->