Confirmed with Link: Libor Sulak heading to the Grand Rapids Griffins

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Agreed.

Most of these guys are super competitive. Obviously, since they're among the top .1% of hockey players worldwide to ever make it this far.

I would expect most of them see getting pushed around as a challenge to improve, not something that makes them throw their hands up and give up.

I am with you. This notion that young players will be irreparably damaged by playing 10 games at the end of the season when the team is well out of the playoffs is ridiculous. Highly competitive people want to be challenged and want to measure themselves against the best.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Agreed.

Most of these guys are super competitive. Obviously, since they're among the top .1% of hockey players worldwide to ever make it this far.

I would expect most of them see getting pushed around as a challenge to improve, not something that makes them throw their hands up and give up.

For me I'd rather see them in those situations. You learn from them. My fear is that Hronek would be called up to be a #7 d-man and ride the pine for most of the game. That is literally the worst outcome.

Reactions: 21 Savage

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
As for the defending in front of the goal, not all good d-men even do that. Rafalski was never much of a net clearer, but he got top pairing minutes. The key is to pair him with someone able to complement his skill set, and they have Ericsson, Jensen, and DDK to do the clear the net stuff.

They do? Ericsson scores more goals for the other team by putting it in his own net. Jensen gets knocked around too much and can not take anybody away from the blue paint. DDK has a hard enough time finding where his own net is let alone know what to do when someone is in front of our net.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They do? Ericsson scores more goals for the other team by putting it in his own net. Jensen gets knocked around too much and can not take anybody away from the blue paint. DDK has a hard enough time finding where his own net is let alone know what to do when someone is in front of our net.

They do more than Hronek ever will. He just isn't they type of defender and trying to miscast him as one is only going to hurt his development.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I am with you. This notion that young players will be irreparably damaged by playing 10 games at the end of the season when the team is well out of the playoffs is ridiculous. Highly competitive people want to be challenged and want to measure themselves against the best.

When did I ever say "irrepairably damaged"?

I just don't think 10 games at the end of the season in one where you're playing out the string of a worthless season that it is beneficial beyond some more dollars in guys pockets.

It's less that there is some horrific downside to bringing them up and more not a whole heck of a lot of upside. It's hope and pray that they take a lesson out of a cup of coffee. Has Hronek or anyone else done something of note recently at GR? Or are you bringing them up for S's and G's? I would much rather that there is a clear link between "play well and get rewarded" as opposed to "well, it's about time that you got your shot because you're there."

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Sulak assigned to the Griffs. They have been going with 7 d-men or sitting Saarijarvi all year because they already have too many d-men there. Who are they gonna sit to play him? You know Nelsen will stick with the vets. Probably gonna go with 7 d-men the rest of the way which handcuffs them all in that it takes away more than 3 minutes of ice-time per game for all of them. Saarijarvi reaaly getting a raw deal and it has affected his development. With Green out, they should have given him a look with the Wings and if not they should have assigned him to Toledo because there simply isn't room for him in GR. They are tanking anyway and who knows he could have surprised.
Holland is so f***ing stupid.

https://www.griffinshockey.com/news-sta ... le_id=4023

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Pete Wallner‏Verified account @petewallner 2h2 hours ago
More
Libor Sulak will join @griffinshockey tonight but not expected to play. Red Wings won't recall a D until after Griffins are done with three-in-three this weekend.

Chances are that Sulak will end up being a "Black Ace" for the Griffins since the Griffins are in a tight battle just to get into the playoffs. If he is hurt according to HSJ piece, he will be lucky if they put him in a game before the regular season end. But if he gets healthy and does get into action, it might take place on the next (5 games) road trip (2 Tucson, San Antonio, Texas, & Milwaukee) in April. He will be wearing #4 for the Griffins.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Griffs are fighting for a playoff position. You think Det takes away their best D? I'd look for Hicketts to be back up.

I don't care about GR. No offense to Grand Rapids, but whether or not they make the playoffs matters little to me.

I'd rather Hronek play 5-10 games in Detroit. He's played all year in GR.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't care about GR. No offense to Grand Rapids, but whether or not they make the playoffs matters little to me.

I'd rather Hronek play 5-10 games in Detroit. He's played all year in GR.

You should care if you want to see guys like Hronek, Svechnikov, Saarijarvi, and others get more playoff experience, plus the potential of getting pro experience for Cholowski, Rasmussen, Givani Smith, and others as well. Might benefit them in the long run, especially going into training camp battling for a Wings roster spot.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You should care if you want to see guys like Hronek, Svechnikov, Saarijarvi, and others get more playoff experience, plus the potential of getting pro experience for Cholowski, Rasmussen, Givani Smith, and others as well. Might benefit them in the long run, especially going into training camp battling for a Wings roster spot.
Hronek has played all year in GR. I think he's better served testing his ability against NHL talent than playing in AHL playoffs.
If GR can qualify without him, great, send Hronek back for the playoffs and you have the best of both worlds.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I didn't ask for your opinion on Grand Rapids. I asked if you thought Det would take the Griffs best D in the middle of a playoff race?

Sure. Because it's the end of the season. He's a right handed shot. He can try out in the role vacated by Green.
In decisions about a prospect, their development opportunity ought to be the first priority. Not whether or not said farm team loses their best player.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I like Hronek as much as anyone but no way he is ready for the NHL yet. It's not like he has been stuck in GR for years, let him finish out his first season and playoffs. I don't see how he would benefit from playing 10 mins a night and getting burned by NHL players while playing for a losing team at the same time.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
GRG missing the playoffs is a negative thing for our organization as a whole. For our players sake, it is better that they play meaningful games, even if it's the measly AHL.

The organization wants the Griffins in the playoffs, Hronek getting a few NHL games isn't going to change their mind.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hronek is a RH D, he should replace Green.

If the Wings do not resign Green next season. Depends how Green makes out on his surgery and if he fully recovers from it. If he doesn't and the Wings let him go, then you have a great battle in training camp next season among several d-men both in Detroit and Grand Rapids fighting for it along with Cholowski.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If the Wings do not resign Green next season. Depends how Green makes out on his surgery and if he fully recovers from it. If he doesn't and the Wings let him go, then you have a great battle in training camp next season among several d-men both in Detroit and Grand Rapids fighting for it along with Cholowski.

Right.
That's another reason why we should play Hronek for the next 10 games.
So we have some idea how far away he is.
So we have a better idea of how important it is to sign a veteran UFA.

Stop and think about what a waste this season has been so far, developmentally, for our defense.

We're a horrible team.
We have a horrible defense.
The average age of the defense is over 31.

And yet we've given zero games to Russo, one game to Hicketts, zero games to Hronek, zero games to Renouf.
And out AHL defense is so backed up ath Saarijarvi is often a healthy scratch.

Now we're talking about potentially adding Sulak?

By the way, Cholo is LH right? Does he play the right side or something?

Reactions: Winger98

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
According to Coach Nelson after Wed night game, he mentioned in his interview that Sulak will begin to start skating this coming Monday. He has no plans at this time in inserting him in a game until everyone feels that he is ready plus it depends also on where the Griffins stand in their playoff race and on players coming in from juniors/college/etc after their playoff run is done.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
According to Coach Nelson after Wed night game, he mentioned in his interview that Sulak will begin to start skating this coming Monday. He has no plans at this time in inserting him in a game until everyone feels that he is ready plus it depends also on where the Griffins stand in their playoff race and on players coming in from juniors/college/etc after their playoff run is done.

Same things goes with Hronek. They need him so they can get to the playoffs. Falling out would mean less games and less development (for people who want to see him in NHL). Guy is also very important on those shootouts.

Better situation in standings and Hronek would have been up a while ago.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Sulak skated on Monday and according to a couple of players that I talked to at the Griffins booster club awards dinner, he looked real good out there. He is bigger and taller than Hronek as they both entered the dining area together.

Reactions: TheMule93

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
In my opinion he has outstanding physical tools and great offensive talent. He is trainwreck defensively though, which is also the reason why didn't make the Czech Olympic team. If, and that's a big if, Detroit is able to at least partially fix his defensive inability he can be a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->