Confirmed with Link: Libor Sulak heading to the Grand Rapids Griffins

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why? There is no way Hronek is worse than Kronwall.

When it comes to playing the kids, where does it stop? Next season, do we not play them because it would hurt our "tanking" odds? (I assume this is where you are going, my apologies if I'm wrong). You need to play the kids.

I'm also not worried because with D specifically, kids don't usually just jump in and become immediate difference makers. They will make their share of blunders, may as well have it happen this year anyways.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
When it comes to playing the kids, where does it stop? Next season, do we not play them because it would hurt our "tanking" odds? (I assume this is where you are going, my apologies if I'm wrong). You need to play the kids.

I'm also not worried because with D specifically, kids don't usually just jump in and become immediate difference makers. They will make their share of blunders, may as well have it happen this year anyways.

Because Hronek will get 5-10 minutes on the Wings when he's not benched in important situations. I'd rather have him finish the season in GR and get big minutes.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not sure I understand the objection. Unless your point is we should be tanking and Kronwall helps that more than Hronek. Or you meant better instead of worse.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm not sure I understand the objection. Unless your point is we should be tanking and Kronwall helps that more than Hronek. Or you meant better instead of worse.

Because Hronek will get breadcrumb minutes on the Wings. I'd rather have Kronwall play 20 minutes a night than Hronek getting 5-10 bottom pairing ES minutes. Let Hronek play top pairing minutes, PP and PK in GR not warm the bench next to Svech in Detroit.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Yes there is a way. In fact, i would say it damn near a certainty that he is better than Hronek right this second. Young guys aren’t better just because they’re younger. Kronwall’s hockey IQ and positional awareness at the NHL level are likely to be far superior to Filip Hronek’s if you drop him in right now on a roster full of lackluster talent.

But hell, even if you did bring him here, the excuse brigade would just come out that he’s not playing with good enough players and that’s why he sucks.

Filip Hronek will undoubtedly be a better skater than current Kronwall... but that’s about it for his current advantages.

Reactions: NickH8

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes there is a way. In fact, i would say it damn near a certainty that he is better than Hronek right this second. Young guys aren’t better just because they’re younger. Kronwall’s hockey IQ and positional awareness at the NHL level are likely to be far superior to Filip Hronek’s if you drop him in right now on a roster full of lackluster talent.

But hell, even if you did bring him here, the excuse brigade would just come out that he’s not playing with good enough players and that’s why he sucks.

Filip Hronek will undoubtedly be a better skater than current Kronwall... but that’s about it for his current advantages.

Kronwall can think about the game all he wants, most games he's a pylon. And if that pylon isn't in the right position its useless. If Hronek would get 15 minutes a night, I would actually be happy with him up here. My real objection is that what would happen when he's called up is Jensen and XO would get more minutes, and Hronek would be the 7th D-man.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Because Hronek will get breadcrumb minutes on the Wings. I'd rather have Kronwall play 20 minutes a night than Hronek getting 5-10 bottom pairing ES minutes. Let Hronek play top pairing minutes, PP and PK in GR not warm the bench next to Svech in Detroit.

But Kronwall can play much better defensively than Hronek right now. Hronek has the QB on the point on the PP down pat, but his major weakness in his game is on the defensive side (defending in front of his own goal for example). That is why he is in GR to not only get more playing minutes and to get use to the pro game, which is much different and must faster pace than in juniors. Hronek does not play on the PK unit here in GR at all. I highly doubt he will.

Next season is a totally different case to where anything can happen in training camp. With Jensen and Ouellet roster status is on shaky ground going into next season, who knows what will happen.

Reactions: NickH8

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Because Hronek will get 5-10 minutes on the Wings when he's not benched in important situations. I'd rather have him finish the season in GR and get big minutes.

I see that, but if he was called up for a few weeks then just went back for the playoffs, I dont see that being an issue. Sorry I misunderstood your point though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I see that, but if he was called up for a few weeks then just went back for the playoffs, I dont see that being an issue. Sorry I misunderstood your point though.

I think it’s an issue because you’re tossing a guy into a no win scenario with a team where it looks like about half the guys have packed it in for the year. Right now, I don’t want any young prospects up in Detroit for these last two weeks and change. It’s essentially a lost season. Don’t make things worse for them by bringing a young kid into a hopeless situation to where he either accepts losing as a way to be or his confidence is crushed because he’s doing everything right and it turns out bad because the team sucks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it’s an issue because you’re tossing a guy into a no win scenario with a team where it looks like about half the guys have packed it in for the year. Right now, I don’t want any young prospects up in Detroit for these last two weeks and change. It’s essentially a lost season. Don’t make things worse for them by bringing a young kid into a hopeless situation to where he either accepts losing as a way to be or his confidence is crushed because he’s doing everything right and it turns out bad because the team sucks.

How fragile do you think these guys are?

If you want to wait until the team is good again to bring guys up, it’s gonna be awhile.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

If you want to wait until the team is good again to bring guys up, it’s gonna be awhile.

I can give you a list of good defenseman that made the league at 20/21 if you want, didn’t ruin any of them.

There is a difference between starting a year with them and letting them have the run of it and putting them in with ten games left to go on a roster that just went 1-10 in its last 11 and didn’t look remotely competitive in the majority of those games.

It’s not “wait till the team is good again”, it’s don’t throw rookies out in a situation where it is clear as day that they’ll get their heads kicked in.

I’m all for giving Hronek, Cholo, Saarijavi, etc. a legit shot in training camp... I just don’t think you gain anything by them playing token minutes on an abysmal team that has apparently rolled over and died for this season. At least not more than letting them continue to play top 4D minutes in a playoff chance at GR

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

It was more tongue and cheek way of putting forward a real objection. I just don't want him "up" and in the presser or playing #7 d-man for a couple minutes a game. He either comes and plays 15 minutes a night, or he doesn't come up and plays top pairing in GR.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
But Kronwall can play much better defensively than Hronek right now. Hronek has the QB on the point on the PP down pat, but his major weakness in his game is on the defensive side (defending in front of his own goal for example). That is why he is in GR to not only get more playing minutes and to get use to the pro game, which is much different and must faster pace than in juniors. Hronek does not play on the PK unit here in GR at all. I highly doubt he will.

Next season is a totally different case to where anything can happen in training camp. With Jensen and Ouellet roster status is on shaky ground going into next season, who knows what will happen.

As for the defending in front of the goal, not all good d-men even do that. Rafalski was never much of a net clearer, but he got top pairing minutes. The key is to pair him with someone able to complement his skill set, and they have Ericsson, Jensen, and DDK to do the clear the net stuff.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is a difference between starting a year with them and letting them have the run of it and putting them in with ten games left to go on a roster that just went 1-10 in its last 11 and didn’t look remotely competitive in the majority of those games.

It’s not “wait till the team is good again”, it’s don’t throw rookies out in a situation where it is clear as day that they’ll get their heads kicked in.

I’m all for giving Hronek, Cholo, Saarijavi, etc. a legit shot in training camp... I just don’t think you gain anything by them playing token minutes on an abysmal team that has apparently rolled over and died for this season. At least not more than letting them continue to play top 4D minutes in a playoff chance at GR

Isn’t it almost less pressure though? Saarijarvi I still Mdon’t think physically is there yet.

But either Cholo or Hronek, I think they would be fine. Especially Cholowski, he’s like up to 200 lbs and been playing big minutes for months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I can give you a list of good defenseman that made the league at 20/21 if you want, didn’t ruin any of them.

LOL. I think the NHL salary and thrill of playing might offset the suffering enough.

Kronwall might be "better" this second, but Hronek, if he is what people say, should surpass that in a season if given the time. Kronwall is a shell of himself and one of the word D in the league. It's embarrassing he won't retire.

There was doubt around Bertuzzi after a few games. Young guy is already having more of an effect than the large majority of the veteran forwards. The organization has proven to lack faith in the jump that's possible once in the show. We as fans do it sometimes too.

I agree with you guys and GrGriffins, he's seriously not ready. No need right now. In 6 months though, he should already be penciled in on opening night. Jensen is a lost cause and there's no better time to accept losing while we speed up the development process of these higher picks. I'd rather even go with Hicketts than Garrison or another over aged D Holland likes to target.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I just don’t think you gain anything by them playing token minutes on an abysmal team that has apparently rolled over and died for this season.

This perspective about the team giving up... it doesn't match the eye-test from a game like vs Phily. Or when they outshot Colorado. The Wings, especially Larkin and the youngsters, are going as hard as ever. I don't think they know how to do anything but grind.

While I don't think losing games is relevant, I still agree with you- there's no purpose to uproot Hronek for 2 weeks.

Edit: Ok back on topic to Sulak.:)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't see what's so bad about letting a prospect "get his head kicked in" a bit. It should give him a nice idea of how hard he needs to work in the off-season and what he can expect when he comes back.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don't see what's so bad about letting a prospect "get his head kicked in" a bit. It should give him a nice idea of how hard he needs to work in the off-season and what he can expect when he comes back.

I agree I think Detroit babies their prospects too much. Let them sink or swim.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Isn’t it almost less pressure though? Saarijarvi I still Mdon’t think physically is there yet.

But either Cholo or Hronek, I think they would be fine. Especially Cholowski, he’s like up to 200 lbs and been playing big minutes for months.

Yeah, I don't see the harm in ten games at the end of the season at 15 or so minutes a night. Give them an idea of what they're working towards over the summer and show them just how different the NHL game is from what they're used to. The bigger issue is what Shaman points to and that's Blashill just not playing the guy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, I don't see the harm in ten games at the end of the season at 15 or so minutes a night. Give them an idea of what they're working towards over the summer and show them just how different the NHL game is from what they're used to. The bigger issue is what Shaman points to and that's Blashill just not playing the guy.

There isn't really harm, per se, but Wings brass and coaching staff do not call up rookies and young prospects for a cup of coffee to give them relevant minutes like that. They're not going to bring up an AHL kid to play 15 minutes just because. If they're calling a guy up and using him like that, it's because he's proven to them that they should.

The "grab his cheese" idea that everyone here hates.

It is pretty clear that the Wings view making the NHL as a reward for earning your spot. That when they call you up, they feel comfortable that you will thrive or have the wherewithal to thrive. That it isn't "sink or swim" but "we think you are ready to go at the National level".

It's why they didn't call up Mantha over Andersson because Mantha would have extra parts and played 8 mins a nght.

They simply don't subscribe to bringing a kid up to get exposed.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There isn't really harm, per se, but Wings brass and coaching staff do not call up rookies and young prospects for a cup of coffee to give them relevant minutes like that. They're not going to bring up an AHL kid to play 15 minutes just because. If they're calling a guy up and using him like that, it's because he's proven to them that they should.

The "grab his cheese" idea that everyone here hates.

It is pretty clear that the Wings view making the NHL as a reward for earning your spot. That when they call you up, they feel comfortable that you will thrive or have the wherewithal to thrive. That it isn't "sink or swim" but "we think you are ready to go at the National level".

It's why they didn't call up Mantha over Andersson because Mantha would have extra parts and played 8 mins a nght.

They simply don't subscribe to bringing a kid up to get exposed.

Hudler got games as a 20 year, a few years before the Wings made him a full-timer. Nyqust got a similar look. I think Flip did, though I'd have to go back and look. If the Wings really thought these guys were ready to step in they wouldn't have waiting another couple of seasons before making the team. There's also Svechnikov right now who is being used exactly how you say they don't use guys.

I think we might agree, though, that if the Wings aren't bringing a guy up in these last ten or so games, they are probably not making the team out of camp this fall outside of injuries making it a necessity. They'll be waiting for injuries to hit next season to come up and get some games before getting a chance at making the team out of camp the following season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed.

Most of these guys are super competitive. Obviously, since they're among the top .1% of hockey players worldwide to ever make it this far.

I would expect most of them see getting pushed around as a challenge to improve, not something that makes them throw their hands up and give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad