Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We will hopefully see him when he is (21-23) years old @Pavel Buchnevich - that's most common for young prospects in NHL, and my prediction at the moment if all goes well without major injuries.

Reactions: Ail

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
We will hopefully see him when he is (21-23) years old @Pavel Buchnevich - that's most common for young prospects in NHL, and my prediction at the moment if all goes well without major injuries.

If he isn't on the Rangers next year, I would kind of be disappointed. He almost made it this year. I think 1 year in the SHL and playing as a possible captain for the Swedish team in the WJC would be enough to push him over the edge. He played a crapload of hockey this year. I don't see him playing in the SHL nearly as long as Pavel played in the KHL, Lias is further along at their respective ages.

Reactions: Revel and Ori

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
No doubt Alex Nunn will be following him closely and posting GIFs on Twitter. I expect this thread to be filled with many of those GIFs of Lias making remarkable play after remarkable play. :)

He'll be on the team next season, Ori.

Reactions: Ori and Miamipuck

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope so @Miamipuck and @Revel but they won`t use him in a 4th line role - our GM mentioned earlier. So it`s hard competition for that 3rd line center role - especially if they have plans to use Miller as center later this year.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I hope so @Miamipuck and @Revel but they won`t use him in a 4th line role - our GM mentioned earlier. So it`s hard competition for that 3rd line center role - especially if they have plans to use Miller as center later this year.

It's a good point, Ori...that I'll admit. If Chytil impresses and sticks...than we'd have a problem getting Lias a spot better than 4th line C. I suppose it could be justified if we play two 3rd lines (i.e. - two lines that can score...no goon line)...and give them equal time. I could see that happenning with the direction the NHL is taking.

Also...and this might sound a little crazy to some...Kevin Hayes is in the final year of his 2 year deal. If he doesn't impress, and wants a lot of money, maybe his sloppy ass goes bye-bye. If that's the case, things open up for Lias,

Reactions: Miamipuck

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Look how the roster changed from breaking of camp in 2016, heck even from the playoffs last year, compared to now. Now extrapolate that change to 2018, I wouldn't worry too much about a spot for him, if he's good enough to be in the top 9 he will be. Gorton has made fairly significant changes every offseason so far, there was a lot more competition in camp this year. He's bringing in more younger players than we are used to seeing to compete both in NY and Hartford.

Lol I think I made a case for both of our arguments, anyway I am hopeful he will be on the opening day roster next year.

Reactions: Ori and Revel

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A good point @Revel - ELC is the way to go with direction of the NHL is taking with limited cap space.

Reactions: Ail

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do we really need 2 threads for Lias Andersson?
He's an important prospect worth tracking more than most of the other guys in our system. He deserves his own thread now that he's headed back to Sweden.

Shesty has one. Lias should have one. Chytil will get one.

Reactions: Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I get that, but why don't we just rename the other thread and keep all the previous discussions together? Same goes for Chytil. Change the signing thread to a Player Discussion thread.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes, we could. Can only mods do that, or can the thread starter do it?

If the latter, then why haven't you done it already AK? :naughty:

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
For anyone concerned with finding Andersson a spot to play, he can play all three forward spots. Hayes can also play wing, he did so in college.
If Hayes shifts to wing we have crazy depth at all forward positions even without Nash
Kreider-Zibs-Buch
Miller-Chytil-Zucc
Vesey-Andersson-Hayes
Grabner-?-Fast

I could really get used to that

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, we could. Can only mods do that, or can the thread starter do it?

If the latter, then why haven't you done it already AK? :naughty:

Hahahah. Oh, that's right!

Done ;)

Now be a good boy and you do it for the Chytil thread
The OP can change the title and tag/prefix of the thread. Only moderators can merge or close a thread. I wouldn't worry about the dupes--I'm the moderators will eventually just close one of the threads.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's a good point, Ori...that I'll admit. If Chytil impresses and sticks...than we'd have a problem getting Lias a spot better than 4th line C. I suppose it could be justified if we play two 3rd lines (i.e. - two lines that can score...no goon line)...and give them equal time. I could see that happenning with the direction the NHL is taking.

Also...and this might sound a little crazy to some...Kevin Hayes is in the final year of his 2 year deal. If he doesn't impress, and wants a lot of money, maybe his sloppy ass goes bye-bye. If that's the case, things open up for Lias,

Oh I definitely think they could move on from Hayes if he disappoints/asks for a ton of money. It's partly what you have to do in the NHL these days...move guys who won't quite be worth it and have young players coming in that can take up the slack

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Andersson will be here next year unless he completely fails. They would have taken him if Chytil wasn't so good in the preseason.

With Grabner and Nash possibly gone next year, he'll make it with his ELC. Could move Hayes to wing. I'd almost want to trade Hayes like they have done with Stepan and Brassard the past few seasons. Max out his value and move him. He's only going to get slower. Andersson, Chytil, and Zibanejad can be down the middle next year.

Worst case you have guys like Nieves and Miller who are centers too.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
We should have been aiming for a player with a much higher offensive ceiling with the #7 pick. Honestly, I wish we had gotten Strome instead of #7 (in addition to DeAngelo).

Just poor drafting, picking a guy whose ceiling is a #3/4 C with our highest draft pick in over 10 years. Pretty pathetic. Thank goodness for Chytil stepping up and looking like a potential stud, otherwise this we would have had another miserable draft.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
We should have been aiming for a player with a much higher offensive ceiling with the #7 pick. Honestly, I wish we had gotten Strome instead of #7 (in addition to DeAngelo).

Just poor drafting, picking a guy whose ceiling is a #3/4 C with our highest draft pick in over 10 years. Pretty pathetic. Thank goodness for Chytil stepping up and looking like a potential stud, otherwise this we would have had another miserable draft.

His ceiling being a 3/4C is news to me

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Perhaps you are misinformed.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Andersson may very well turn out to be a great pick.

Keep in mind Chytil was given a better chance to succeed in the preseason with his linemates. Not to take anything away from Chytil, but Andersson may have turned a few more heads if he too played with Zucc and Kreider.

There is a lot of premature complaining in this thread.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Andersson's ceiling is higher than a # 3/4 C and Strome can't skate.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Interesting that a guy with a "defense wins games" tagline would pan the team for not picking a guy with enough offense.

Anyway, Andersson looked to me like like he could play the role of 4C just fine. Possibly even 3C. His ceiling is that of a 3/4C assuming he makes literally no progress moving forward, which seems unlikely given that he's 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->