Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pretty much in a nutshell. Which is far from saying they'll be no top players drafted later in the round etc. By all accounts they were high on Andersson and are pleased with the pick, however, if Vilardi is drafted 6th for example, I'd presume we are sitting talking about Glass and not LA.

You're correct. Reports said they had Pettersson, Glass, Andersson, and Suzuki ranked in that range. So it stands to reason they would have taken the other guys had they been available.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who in your opinion was ahead of those actually picked in top 6?

I had Vilardi, Liljegren and Brannstrom in my top 6. Thats the point though, it doesn't matter who I had in my top 6, nor does it matter who you or anyone else did, there was not a consensus. Unless a large enough percentage of people had the same 6 in their top 6, its not a consensus.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'm with Pavel here, saying there was a consensus top 6 is wrong. Teams, prospect nerds and hobby scouts were all over the place when ranking the 2017 draft, there wasn't even close to a consensus. Both Vilardi and Mittelstadt were considered close to locks for top 6 most of the season, as was Liljegren. There were so much movement in the last few months, it was pretty much wide open. Elias Pettersson wasn't even a lock to be a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would agree that there wasn't a clear cut consensus in the 2017 draft, merely several players who were in most top 10 lists.

Hischier, Patrick, Maker, Pettersson and Glass were probably somewhere in close to every top 10.

Heiskanen, Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippet, Vilardi were in most top 10 lists.

Suzuki, Brannstrom, Liljegren were in a lot of top 10s.

Andersson, Necas, Foote were in some scattered top 10s.

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm with Pavel here, saying there was a consensus top 6 is wrong. Teams, prospect nerds and hobby scouts were all over the place when ranking the 2017 draft, there wasn't even close to a consensus. Both Vilardi and Mittelstadt were considered close to locks for top 6 most of the season, as was Liljegren. There were so much movement in the last few months, it was pretty much wide open. Elias Pettersson wasn't even a lock to be a top 10 pick.

Then he should stop yacking about Lias being a reach, the above means he's the exact opposite of a reach.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'd say Lias was a bit of a reach, but with how open this draft was and how much opinions differed i can understand why NYR fell in love with Lias skillset.

Just because a player was a reach doesn't mean he was a bad pick, Chytil was a reach too.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
LINKÖPING - FRÖLUNDA 19th December looks like a 10 days break almost - that`s almost a vacation in comparison to NHL schedule. :)

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
LINKÖPING - FRÖLUNDA 19th December looks like a 10 days break almost - that`s almost a vacation in comparison to NHL schedule. :)

I don’t think they are playing any games, but I think Lias is at a camp with the U20 team. They didn’t pick Rasmus for channel one cup referring that he was with the WJC team.

Reactions: Ori

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wow team Canada cut Cody Glass from their WJC roster.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Canada have had problems keeping up at times the last years. They are going with fast players that can play with the puck. The forecheckers like Virtanen and the likes just haven’t been that successful the last years.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn’t read too much into it. Canada have had problems keeping up at times the last years. They are going with fast players that can play with the puck. The forecheckers like Virtanen and the likes just haven’t been that successful the last years.

Imagine the outrage if Andersson is missing the World Juniors. He'd be labeled a bust instantly.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah, I don't think he's a bust or anything.

Just ironic that a lot of talk about Glass in this thread and yet he's cut from Canada and Lias is probably going to captain team Sweden.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Imagine the outrage if Andersson is missing the World Juniors. He'd be labeled a bust instantly.
All hell would break loose... It'd be chaos. Lets really look into what it means tho. Canada isn't going to cut a "top notch" player for style preferences. This is not a good sign for glass, no matter how you write it. Lias on the other hand will wear a letter for sweden. granted Sweden doesn't have the depth of Canada, but this is a 6th overall pick. Glass should be a top 6 player on Canada not cut.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
If we are calling LA a slight reach, then some kind of consensus must be reached about players, and their prospective draft positions. Otherwise we've got somewhat of an incongruity. We can't have it both ways.

Interesting all the same, let's hope he has a great WJC.

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's also worth noting that Glass might be on Canada's Olympic team and Hockey Canada has stated that they didn't want kids playing in both the WJC and the Olympics.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
It's also worth noting that Glass might be on Canada's Olympic team and Hockey Canada has stated that they didn't want kids playing in both the WJC and the Olympics.
There are better players still on the WJC roster... and if Glass was heading for olympic hockey we would all know. They would explain that to us, instead of leaving Glass out to dry. They are smart enough to realize that this looks bad for him. Especially if they mean to put him on the olympic team.

"How do you put a guy that couldn't even make the WJC roster on team canada!!! Its canada's game!!!!"

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Y’all do know Glass is having a good year, right? He’s the third leading WHL scorer among D+1 players behind Stelios Matheos and Aleksi Heponiemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad