Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
This board is seriously delusional about this team. Actually not really, this is actually the first time I hear fans on this board ganging up on saying the Rangers have great offensive players. LFMAO. Do you really think we have an offensive superstar on this team who can take over a game? Name the last Stanley cup winner who didn't have elite offensive players... I'll wait. This SYSTEM creates goal scoring while leaving the backend open all day long and we will NEVER win a stanley cup playing that way. We lack a player who can put the team on his back most of the time a lot more than we need a two way center who MAYBE scores 60 pts in a great year. You know, the type of player you could possibly take with the 7th overall pick instead of a project checking center perhaps. Just a thought.
So Nash is not Nash anymore - AV said he was elite like one season ago?

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Sucks picking 7th in what was clearly a drop off after top-6. Oh well.

Wanted to ask you guys who follow the draft closely...

As it turned out we probably picked 7th in a 6 player draft, all things being equal, but the general consensus seemingly was Vilardi falling really screwed us over from getting either Pettersson / or more likely, Glass. Throw into that we obviously wanted no part in Vilardi, what would it be fair to say that things conspired against us a little in that regard?

The above isn't to say I'm down on LA, he's an interesting pick in his own right.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

As it turned out we probably picked 7th in a 6 player draft, all things being equal, but the general consensus seemingly was Vilardi falling really screwed us over from getting either Pettersson / or more likely, Glass. Throw into that we obviously wanted no part in Vilardi, what would it be fair to say that things conspired against us a little in that regard?

The above isn't to say I'm down on LA, he's an interesting pick in his own right.

A 6 player draft? I predict at least 5 players drafted between 7 and 31 to become good top-6 players. This "6-player draft" nonsense is ridiculous

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
A 6 player draft? I predict at least 5 players drafted between 7 and 31 to become good top-6 players. This "6-player draft" nonsense is ridiculous

Hence why I mentioned all things being equa; where we picked at, relative to the top players in the draft ~ in not looking back with hindsight to say player A. at 26 became the next Messier.

I was asking in relative terms to Vilardi and where we picked on the day. I'm sure there are going to be several first and second liners aappear from the first round, maybe later.

BTW, Litmanen was criminally underrated.

And yes, I should have clarified drop off from 6 to 7, from Glass down, as Darko said. From where we could have drafted a player with more surefire top line prospects.

I dare say Glass not making it is possible, and players later in the draft might go on to be stars. I've seen enough of them to know that's very much possible.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I think I understand what Glasgow is trying to say: that if you let any team make one of top 1-6 picks - the same 6 prospects would be gone from the board.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I think your main point that the front office thought they had a reasonable chance of actually drafting one of the guys that went before Andersson. I remember Gordon's interview on Day 1 of the draft and his comment and body language indicated that he was hoping for somewhat different options. But is the FO happy now that they still had Andersson on the board given the circumstances? I'd say yes.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I think your main point that the front office thought they had a reasonable chance of actually drafting one of the guys that went before Andersson. I remember Gordon's interview on Day 1 of the draft and his comment and body language indicated that he was hoping for somewhat different options. But is the FO happy now that they still had Andersson on the board given the circumstances? I'd say yes.

Pretty much in a nutshell. Which is far from saying they'll be no top players drafted later in the round etc. By all accounts they were high on Andersson and are pleased with the pick, however, if Vilardi is drafted 6th for example, I'd presume we are sitting talking about Glass and not LA.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Pretty much in a nutshell. Which is far from saying they'll be no top players drafted later in the round etc. By all accounts they were high on Andersson and are pleased with the pick, however, if Vilardi is drafted 6th for example, I'd presume we are sitting talking about Glass and not LA.

Probably.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just saying, I think there basically are 15-20 players that could play end up being — the best — pick in this draft, and Lias is one of them. Chytil is another. And there are of course guys I don’t have great track of. Hirscher will become good — be how good? Might not be more than a top 20-30 center. Patrick has a bit to go before he can be effective in the NHL. Is he becoming a JVR or something more? Heiskanen is good and the offensive D has a lot of potential — but there are no guarantees. Petersson looks great, but if you look at like a Teevu Teravainen type, they can have a bit of issues adopting to the NHL too. There are no guarantees. Lias is the type that really makes his play count. He has a great shot. A lot of natural talent. A solid skater that you wonder if he can become great. You gotta give it a little time. Patience.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
There was no consensus top 6 though.

PB, in that case, for you, does the consensus drop off after 5 and Pettersson going? As the main questions seemed to arise after Glass went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, 6 player draft was poorly worded. I'm purely talking in relation to being at the draft and 'in the moment' on draft day, not who will be better than whom ten years down the line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
PB, in that case, for you, does the consensus drop off after 5 and Pettersson going? As the main questions seemed to arise after Glass went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, 6 player draft was poorly worded. I'm purely talking in relation to being at the draft and 'in the moment' on draft day, not who will be better than whom ten years down the line.

There was no consensus in this draft. Everyone had their own preferences.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Poor choice of words from me. I'm not saying 6 players and then everyone else sucks. I'm saying there's a clear top-6 then slight drop off.

Anyways that's what i saw/read at the time of the draft. I'm clueless when it comes to a draft .... kinda like Dutch and life in general. Shots fired.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Poor choice of words from me. I'm not saying 6 players and then everyone else sucks. I'm saying there's a clear top-6 then slight drop off.

Anyways that's what i saw/read at the time of the draft. I'm clueless when it comes to a draft .... kinda like Dutch and life in general. Shots fired.

It's a shame you can't watch the game. It's Saturday night which means all the Australians are working behind the bar ;)

Reactions: Miamipuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad