Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Judging by the play of Stepan this season and the play of Andersson this seaon I think we won that trade by a mile. Potential future captain and a rough dman prospect who just needs to be polished and can be a fantastic player. For what 1 year of Raanta and a balding mid-6 C? I loved Stepan but the whining about that deal needs to stop.

I doubt ADA will ever be a fantastic player.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm not whining about the deal; I'd make it again. But I think Stepan is getting a lot of unfair criticism; he's not just a "balding mid-6 C." He's a guy that played a lot of great hockey in NY and was driven out of town after one snakebitten postseason. And while Stepan's point-production this year has not been good, just about anybody would struggle if they were brought on to be "the guy" on that terrible Coyotes roster.

Stepan fought to get paid like he was the player who lit it up in that abbreviated season.
Outside of that season he never even came CLOSE to that kind of production. The team gave him "Prove us wrong" money. He proved them right

I don't agree with the image painted by the phrase "driven out of town", he wasn't Frankenstein running from torch and pitchfork wielding crazies. He played himself off the team and priced himself off the team. Thank everything that Arizona owed someone a huge favor

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Gaborik will be remembered for his speed and skill but a huge contributor to his success were the dirty goals he scored right around the net. It was like he always knew where the puck would end up. He could be invisible for long stretches and just find a way to be in the right place at the right time even though he couldn't out muscle anyone.

Some of that is instinct but a lot of it is the tenacity to work for open space and the ability to finish. Lias has all 3.
Gaborik was flat out fantastic in his own end too for a season or two with us.

That part of his game disappeared suddenly but for a significant while he was a steal and a half.

When Nash first came here, he was frequently knocking guys off their feet and I think getting physical got him more into the games.

With both Gabs and Nash, when they first got to the NYR, they brought something with them that wasn't really known as a big part of their game, but lost it after a season

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Too early to say who won the trade.

The Rangers got fair value in the Stepan trade, but how their judged will come down to how ADA and Andersson perform.

Trades are ultimately judged on results, not potential.
It's not just about how ADA and Andersson perform, though. If Stepan continues to decline and in a year his contract is a huge albatross, you could say we broke even--at worst--in the deal. Clearing his entire contract and not having to take anything back is a big deal in the cap era.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's not just about how ADA and Andersson perform, though. If Stepan continues to decline and in a year his contract is a huge albatross, you could say we broke even--at worst--in the deal. Clearing his entire contract and not having to take anything back is a big deal in the cap era.

That would certainly be a factor, yes.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Absolutely. Its possible that with Stepan this year we could be in playoffs or still somewhat alive possibly causing us not to sell like we should be doing this year. Like I said possibly not definitively. I appreciate all Stepan did but that was a move in the right direction. These NTC contracts are not good once they kick in.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Best move in a very long time imo. I'm happy with ADA and LA. Time can only tell here.

As of Stepan and his clutch moments, we saw his skating ability be outmatched very often. It was only right option to trade him. His skating is a big ? especially in the long run. And skating might be the most important aspect of the game going forward.

Reactions: darko and Crease

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

What a bust

What a scrub. Has to score gritty goals to get his points and he’s only got 10 in 14. We have no want/need for gritty players. That’s like a 59 point pace. As a 19 year old. In the AHL. If you’re not putting up 90 points in the A there’s no way you’re going to ever play in the NHL. Ever. Ever.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

What a bust

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Did anyone call Andersson a bust?

This has to have been repeated 100 times now, and I don't think anyone said he's a bust.

I don’t know how you could less than one year after he was drafted. Hasn’t had time to bust yet. I think the sarcasm about him busting and being a scrub is just many people’s way of showing enthusiasm for him since several were so, so vocal about trashing him despite him having a very solid D+1 and been a top 10 range prospect when drafted to begin with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What's funny about watching the video, it's a very typical Andersson play.

You take your eyes off him, you follow the puck to other players and there he is with a point.

You rewind it, watch it again and see as he picks himself up, comes in from the boards and goes straight to the high percentage areas, fights for it, and gets rewarded.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

That is Zboril standing in the crease near Lias. Bruins prospect people have been hyping up and talking about. Just funny coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad