LGBTQ Pride Night Tonight At Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
First of all, only about 2-3 % of the entire male population would be gay in general. The men that are attracted to heavy contact aggressive sports, are mostly the hi- testosterone type males, and are not the gay types.
guess you are clueless as to what the gay male community refers to as a "bear"....
trust me. that level of testosterone's enough to power Winkler for a year

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

First of all, only about 2-3 % of the entire male population would be gay in general. The men that are attracted to heavy contact aggressive sports, are mostly the hi- testosterone type males, and are not the gay types. I doubt that many men in the NHL are gay. If there are some, I highly doubt they would come out of the closet. There is "no benefit" to do so, only discrimination.

If a male player is gay, there is "no advantage" for him to come out and declare. He would not get any endorsement deals from companies, and a lot of the fan base would turn on him-- "so why would he come out."

Case in point-- there's a lot of speculation that Aaron Rogers, NFL quarterback is gay, and his former roommate and lover had admitted this on social media. Why would Rogers come out of the closet ???- it would cost him millions -- "he won't" . He actually hires women to pretend they are his girlfriends, and pays them a lot of money, to do just that. Create a "straight image."

As for the women-- I can see the more hi- testosterone females coming out,( butch types) and there's a lot of those types of women that are attracted to aggressive sports. The more feminine women, just are not attracted to sports that much, and may be bi-sexual, but there are not that many. There's quite a few "openly gay " women's tennis players, and I won't name them here-- but there's quite a lot of them. You can sort of tell by looking at them, and the way they act. Samantha Stosur is one that is openly gay, for women's tennis players, and there are many others.

The women are "more open" about this kind of thing, because it's more acceptable, but I cannot see this happening with the men in sports. ( maybe the odd one ?? but I sort of doubt it)

I don't see much changing at all regarding the men in sports - "just not acceptable." to the masses.
Ironically, this post manages to affirm exactly why this night was so important to hold.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Personally I find modern day "Activism" laughable. It's the new 15 minutes of fame. People need to feel like they're doing something important and snap a photo to w**re themselves out for likes on Facebook.
What people?

Reactions: HannuJ

Poxsonus

Jan 24, 2016
Saskatchewan
Interesting that those who are pointing out (and decrying in some cases) faux activism aren't calling out the 'support the military' nights. Personally, the militarization of sporting events in the US and Canada concerns me. Others may be more comfortable with it, of course.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Personally I find modern day "Activism" laughable. It's the new 15 minutes of fame. People need to feel like they're doing something important and snap a photo to w**re themselves out for likes on Facebook.
well...no.
people can legitimately be proud that they're taking a stand. it's like hospital wings. some are named after the donors and some donors want to remain anonymous. doesn't mean that the value of either donation is less than the other.

there are different types of activism. some people will be keyboard activists and you can argue that they're not really doing much by doing so. but hey, if their keyboard activism inspires people to be more active and aware of world issues, then it's a victory.

i just don't get why some people are so upset about fighting injustices and for equality. they afraid their going to lose their slice of their pie?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Even sadder is that these people are often associated with institutions of higher learning. This is a dangerous direction to head down, and anyone that supports free speech should be outraged by this.

Couldn’t agree more. Shutting down free speech is a very dangerous road. Today it might be someone else’s but tomorrow it could be yours.

Reactions: GNP

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
i just don't get why some people are so upset about fighting injustices and for equality. they afraid their going to lose their slice of their pie?

Wouldn't "Losing" your slice of the pie be a way of phrasing inequality? Equality would imply that everybody has the same sized slice...

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Interesting that those who are pointing out (and decrying in some cases) faux activism aren't calling out the 'support the military' nights. Personally, the militarization of sporting events in the US and Canada concerns me. Others may be more comfortable with it, of course.

Right. I forgot that coming out takes just as much bravery as putting your life on the line for your country. Totally the same thing!

The most interesting part about it all is many of those serving die or are critically injured protecting our rights, while fighting countries where homosexual individuals would be executed.

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Interesting that those who are pointing out (and decrying in some cases) faux activism aren't calling out the 'support the military' nights.

Why would they do that? Id say my dead brother that was killed by an IED in Afghanistan 2 years ago with 3 of his friends, deserves some support. No? He was killed trying to save 11 Afghan women and kids from being taken by the Taliban.
They are the reason you can have a LGBTQ nights at hockey games. Putting their lives on the line so we can all continue to do do what we do.

Reactions: GNP

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

They are simply supporting troops and veterans, not militarizing. Are they supporting using weapons, building weapons, etc.? I don't agree with sending troops overseas, but the reality is they deserve respect for having good intentions and motives even if the higher ups use them for their selfish gains, unfortunately (And even then it's really complex, and neither side is 100% right or wrong).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As usual, this thread has gone exactly the way these threads always go. We're now veering off into areas that are completely unrelated to the message that the Jets (with Scheif and Trouba as the ambassadors) were trying to relate.

Politics. Never a good thing on a hockey board, unfortunately. Now with the influx of posters from outside of HFJets, it's time to close this.

Thumbs up to TNSE and the Jets for supporting this initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad