NFL: Le'veon Bell claims he may retire if he gets franchise tagged

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The league needs to start punishing players who hold out after being franchised. Start with a 4 game suspension and if the player holds out into a second week then suspend them for the entire season (plus playoffs if applicable). Don't let the player play a game of football until they are under contract and have served all 16 games.

If they players don't like the franchise tag then they shouldn't keep voting to include it in the CBA every time there's a negotiation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The league needs to start punishing players who hold out after being franchised. Start with a 4 game suspension and if the player holds out into a second week then suspend them for the entire season (plus playoffs if applicable). Don't let the player play a game of football until they are under contract and have served all 16 games.

If they players don't like the franchise tag then they shouldn't keep voting to include it in the CBA every time there's a negotiation.

Agree that the players need to be better at the negotiation table than they have been.

You could be a 1st round pick RB like Gurley, 10th overall who signed for $14 million over 4 years. He'll have his 5th year option picked up as a 1st round pick. That puts him at another year at the average of the top 20 RB salaries. Then, the Rams could opt to franchise him afterwards. He will be in the league for 6 years at that point. And the Rams could franchise him again for a 7th year. That might be close to the end of his prime years RB is the worst position to get franchised because it's the most physically punishing of the skilled positions. Gurley likely ends up with a franchise tag of $10 million as he just made the top 10, otherwise, he'd be at around $6 million.

You can't suspend a guy if they don't sign the franchise tag contract. Which, Bell didn't do until the last possible moment. By not signing the franchise tag contract, he didn't have to show up at training camp. I'd do the same thing if I got franchised.

We've just seen Shazier, Chancellor, Avril have their seasons ended and possibly careers, with neck injuries. And QBs like Watson, Tannehill, and Bridgewater blow out their knees in a non contact practice drill. Of course players are going to want to get a long term contract with guaranteed money.

For the next CBA, players should be targeting 3 year rookie contracts, regardless of when they get drafted or signed as UDFA. No option years for rookie deals. And no franchise tags. If it stays, a player can only be franchised 1 time in their career. Then, it's up to the player and their agent to get the best deal that they can.

Reactions: Voight

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Agree that the players need to be better at the negotiation table than they have been.

You could be a 1st round pick RB like Gurley, 10th overall who signed for $14 million over 4 years. He'll have his 5th year option picked up as a 1st round pick. That puts him at another year at the average of the top 20 RB salaries. Then, the Rams could opt to franchise him afterwards. He will be in the league for 6 years at that point. And the Rams could franchise him again for a 7th year. That might be close to the end of his prime years RB is the worst position to get franchised because it's the most physically punishing of the skilled positions. Gurley likely ends up with a franchise tag of $10 million as he just made the top 10, otherwise, he'd be at around $6 million.

You can't suspend a guy if they don't sign the franchise tag contract. Which, Bell didn't do until the last possible moment. By not signing the franchise tag contract, he didn't have to show up at training camp. I'd do the same thing if I got franchised.

We've just seen Shazier, Chancellor, Avril have their seasons ended and possibly careers, with neck injuries. And QBs like Watson, Tannehill, and Bridgewater blow out their knees in a non contact practice drill. Of course players are going to want to get a long term contract with guaranteed money.

For the next CBA, players should be targeting 3 year rookie contracts, regardless of when they get drafted or signed as UDFA. No option years for rookie deals. And no franchise tags. If it stays, a player can only be franchised 1 time in their career. Then, it's up to the player and their agent to get the best deal that they can.
I agree that limiting the Franchise tag to a single use per player is a good idea. Suspensions though would work. If a player misses camp they should be punished and punished heavily. Miss camp? Well you aren't eligible for the season and still need to play under the franchise tag the next season. It's a joke that there's no real punishment for skipping out on your team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Players are going to need to make major concession to get things like this especially 3 yr rookie deals

18 game schedule may be what they have to give owners in that scenario

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
3-year rookie contracts sound fair considering how short an NFL career is, but then you probably look at more players hitting free agency. I'm not sure anybody wants that.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Have to agree with everyone here, it really is annoying to see NFL players get paid anything close to their market value.

Reactions: G F O P

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
"I don't fully understand the NFL's economy, so I'm just gonna throw out this driveby comment that deliberately misunderstands the posts in this thread that I've only skimmed through and not acutally read."

I have far better things to do with my life than follow the NFL's "economy".

Reactions: G F O P

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He'll get a 4 year contract from somebody, with only the first two years fully guaranteed. He will get paid AP money (on his last contract) whether it be from the Steelers, or another team (I've heard the 49ers mentioned as a possible destination).

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Doubt he retires but if he was available he'd be a strong add for a lot of teams. He's 26 this year, would like my Colts to sign him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree that limiting the Franchise tag to a single use per player is a good idea. Suspensions though would work. If a player misses camp they should be punished and punished heavily. Miss camp? Well you aren't eligible for the season and still need to play under the franchise tag the next season. It's a joke that there's no real punishment for skipping out on your team.
It's not your team until you sign a contract. There is a deadline for the player to sign that franchise tag contract which is just before the season begins. So, there isn't any justification for a suspension that you are proposing.

As much as players talk about winning a SB, it's still about getting paid.

Stork was a rookie starting centre for the Patriots when they beat the Seahawks in the Superbowl. Britt was a rookie RT for the hawks. Since then, Britt has played out his rookie deal and signed a 3 year extension for $27 million. Stork was ultimately cut by the Patriots when he failed a physical before his 3rd season and is out of the league. Post 1st round picks get around $800k per season. So, stork earned around $1.7 million in his pro career. Britt, should he play out his next deal gets to $30 million. Would you take storks career with a SB or Britt's career with the extra $28 million?

I'd take Britt's career. That's a massive difference in salary earned in the NFL.

Reactions: Voight

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
It's not your team until you sign a contract. There is a deadline for the player to sign that franchise tag contract which is just before the season begins. So, there isn't any justification for a suspension that you are proposing.

As much as players talk about winning a SB, it's still about getting paid.

Stork was a rookie starting centre for the Patriots when they beat the Seahawks in the Superbowl. Britt was a rookie RT for the hawks. Since then, Britt has played out his rookie deal and signed a 3 year extension for $27 million. Stork was ultimately cut by the Patriots when he failed a physical before his 3rd season and is out of the league. Post 1st round picks get around $800k per season. So, stork earned around $1.7 million in his pro career. Britt, should he play out his next deal gets to $30 million. Would you take storks career with a SB or Britt's career with the extra $28 million?

I'd take Britt's career. That's a massive difference in salary earned in the NFL.
I was under the impression there was a deadline, my mistake. If he isn't breaking any rules a suspension would be unjustified.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was under the impression there was a deadline, my mistake. If he isn't breaking any rules a suspension would be unjustified.

July 15th is the deadline IIRC. Thats why on the 13th-14th the rumour mill goes on overdrive. I think Dez and Miller are two guys who signed long term deals right before the deadline, maybe Demaryius as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the deadline to agree to a long term deal otherwise you have to play on the franchise deal.

Personally not a fan of the franchise tag given there is a 4 year rookie contract. That's plenty of time to determine whether you want the player or not. If you can't agree to a deal, let him walk.

But that's something the nflpa has to negotiate.

For me, football is so physically demanding and there is so much turnover with so many players coming into the league that players need to make what they can. Add in the head trauma, and they should get their money when they can.

Still going to be a salary cap. This stuff is all how to allocate it amongst the players. Won't cost the owners more money. PA threw the rookies under the bus last time, but in the end hurt themselves as vets got cut in favor of cheaper rookie contracts.

Feb 24, 2017
3-year rookie contracts sound fair considering how short an NFL career is, but then you probably look at more players hitting free agency. I'm not sure anybody wants that.
More players in ufa in any sport would have the dna dripping from the ceiling on this website.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't even know who or why anyone would give a running back a huge contract at this point. He's worth more to the Steelers than he is anyone else.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't even know who or why anyone would give a running back a huge contract at this point. He's worth more to the Steelers than he is anyone else.

That's why Bell said what he said to the media. He knows that this off-season is his last legit shot at a multi-year contract. If he gets franchised again, I don't see another organization giving him a 4 year deal when he enters year 7 in the NFL. Not with all of the touches he gets through 6 seasons.

Honestly, as long as the salary cap is in place, it's really just a matter of figuring out who gets paid. Everyone does their rookie deal and if they great players they get paid on their 2nd contract. Need to do away with franchise tags and option years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad