Let's Watch... (1965/4/1) Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'm reminded of something else while watching this game. I remember having to watch games INTENTLY back then to try to follow the puck, and it wasn't always easy from the center ice upper level camera. While I've mentioned before that I dislike the over-the-top zooming/panning camera work of today, it does afford the ability to capture a scramble in front of the net from different replay angles and see who actually shot the puck, whether it bounced off a skate, etc. The flip side is that you don't have to pay close attention today; you can be doing something else with the game on and if you hear the crowd roar, you'll see whatever you missed from a few different angles.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I'm reminded of something else while watching this game. I remember having to watch games INTENTLY back then to try to follow the puck, and it wasn't always easy from the center ice upper level camera. While I've mentioned before that I dislike the over-the-top zooming/panning camera work of today, it does afford the ability to capture a scramble in front of the net from different replay angles and see who actually shot the puck, whether it bounced off a skate, etc. The flip side is that you don't have to pay close attention today; you can be doing something else with the game on and if you hear the crowd roar, you'll see whatever you missed from a few different angles.

Had the virtue of a fixed point of reference.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
1964-65 had a significant increase in penalties, power plays, and power play scoring over the previous season. The Canadiens essentially won the 1965 Stanley Cup on the strength of their power play and penalty kill. They scored 21 PPG in 12 games and only allowed 7 -- one of the great playoff power play performances of all time. I haven't watched this yet but I'll be watching the special teams play closely.

The Leafs had a lot of injuries at wing that year and Horton spent some time on the wing during the season. After Ron Ellis went down on January 1 against Boston, Tim Horton had played 10 games at right wing, from January 2 to January 20, and scored 8 goals and 2 assists on a line with Red Kelly. I didn't realize he had played wing later in the season too but I guess he did.

Not surprised - Tim had a hell of a shot for back then and was a strong skater. He sort of "galloped", I believe because of a leg injury earlier in his career that he may never have fully recovered from but was still considered fast.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not surprised - Tim had a hell of a shot for back then and was a strong skater. He sort of "galloped", I believe because of a leg injury earlier in his career that he may never have fully recovered from but was still considered fast.

... yeah, March 12, 1955.... Horton on the rush carrying the puck & like Lindros.... head down.... Bill Gadsby, one of the Greatest Checkers & IMO Defencemen to have played stepped into him, clean open ice hit.... and hit him in just the right spot breaking his nose & right leg, Horton unconscious before he even hit the ice.... blood running from his ears, nose.... shocking, frightening moment, especially for Bill Gadsby who was absolutely mortified as you can imagine. Had it been a dirty hit whole other matter however, he was cleared of it by NHL Head of Officiating Bill Chadwick.

Didnt stop Conn Smythe from tracking Gadsby down post game, threatening to have him "banned for life" etc.... Gadsby telling him to "go **** yourself", which when I read about elevated Bill to even greater heights in my already high estimation of the guy... Hardest check up to that point ever delivered in the NHL, every bit as hard as a Potvin, Stevens or whomever that followed. Horton was actually a Rushing Defenceman & who knows how much more he couldve done, what impact contemporaneously to Kelly, Harvey & Pilote and pre-Orr had that not happened which yes, unfortunately did inhibit his play, loss of lateral skating speed & agility. Still fast, but just north-south as you correctly point out.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->