Lets talk about William Nylander.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Resign? I don't think he's going to leave his job as an NHL player at only 21/22 years old.

Seriously though, this thread is ridiculous. Of course he will be re-signing, he's an RFA.

When the Leafs suck, we get a lot of troll posts. When the Leafs are good, we get so many ridiculous threads asking if the virtually impossible is going to happen.
It's a thread about Nylander's year along with potential contract negotiations has nothing to do with Nylander looking to leave the team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's a thread about Nylander's year along with potential contract negotiations has nothing to do with Nylander looking to leave the team.

OP is quoted below; see bolded:

So the leafs have alot of contracts to deal with. But the one that is to expire after this season is the contract of William Nylander. So the question is will he resign? I think yes because right now he is enjoying playing in Toronto, he is also gonna get offered good money I say atleast $7,000,000 and there really isn't any other team for him to sign with. So let me know your personal opinions down in the comments below! Keep calm and go leafs go!

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Like others have said, no more than 6mil per for 6-7 years. He's worth some good money, but not great money. If he's not playing with top talent, his production does drop. IMO, Marner's going to fetch more money when his contract is up.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Im sure he meant "re-sign" lol

Nylander going nowhere.

First line of mine was a joke.

For the second line in my first post I know OP was asking if he would re-sign. Thats why i gave my response as i called it ridiculous to think he would not re-sign. OP asked if he would re-sign or not (implying he would go elsewhere somehow through offer sheet/refusal to sign/etc.).

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
First line of mine was a joke.

For the second line in my first post I know OP was asking if he would re-sign. Thats why i gave my response as i called it ridiculous to think he would not re-sign. OP asked if he would re-sign or not (implying he would go elsewhere somehow through offer sheet/refusal to sign/etc.).
Oh alright then.

OP could be in the camp that believes Nylander has issues being engaged in games + dislike for Babcock. You know..the same ol' :sarcasm:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You can't prove something that is subjective.

You mean like Willy did better than most of NHL last year? You're judging Marner based on playing on the best PP unit in the league, and Nylander based on playing on one that isn't functioning at all.

That's interesting, because this is actually true of Nylander. When looking at statistical effect on linemates over their two years, Nylander elevates his line more than anyone on the team.

It's noticeable because you are forcing a nonsensical agenda. There's pretty much not a player in the league who can dominate at a whim. Saying that about Nylander is just a way to set the bar so high that you can disparage him for not reaching it. Which is all kinds of sad.
Yikes Nith. Taking no prisoners. :laugh:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Just based on his dad's reputation and how involved he is in his sons' careers. Even if it doesn't work out that way, I'd be surprised if that wasn't his advice.
William was interviewed in a Swedish newspaper before the start of the season and was asked about his future with the Leafs. His answer was that he wanted to spend his career here and become an icon like Sundin or Salming.

Take that for what you will. Willy doesn't usually open up in interviews that much though and this came across as very candid.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
William was interviewed in a Swedish newspaper before the start of the season and was asked about his future with the Leafs. His answer was that he wanted to spend his career here and become an icon like Sundin or Salming.

Take that for what you will. Willy doesn't like to open up in interviews that much and this sounded very candid though.

I have no doubts about that, and I'm not trying to suggest he wants to leave. Hitting UFA at 27 is the most contract leverage a player can have in the majority of cases and still leaves another retirement contract opportunity at 34/35. I'd hope he still signs with us of course even if it's pricier than it would have been otherwise.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There have been multiple “rumours” and speculation about him since before the draft, none of which ever seem to come true.

We know as much about Nylander’s contract intentions as we do with Marner and Matthews - next to nothing about any of them.

Reactions: Walshy7

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like Nylander's game, and he plays well regardless of who he lines up with.

Will he be a center some year? I believe he is quite capable, and I agree with the panel last night in that Nylander is treated more harshly than some of the other youngsters because Babcock wants to bring out the best in him and sees so much more to give. Defensively he doesn't have to be protected by his linemates or put on a line with stronger defensive players to cover up his weakness in his own zone.

He wasn't exactly helped out last night be Hyman's glitch at the blueline, and yes he could have done better on the turnover, but so could have the other 4 skaters on the ice.

I'm pleased with his strength along the boards and how he can win physical battles.

All is good, and he will re-sign with the Leafs unless he's traded for a #1.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
There have been multiple “rumours” and speculation about him since before the draft, none of which ever seem to come true.

We know as much about Nylander’s contract intentions as we do with Marner and Matthews - next to nothing about any of them.

it really shows how lazy scouts can attribute something to a young prospect that will stick to him. People still call him a diva (outside of leaf fans mostly) yet I would think of a diva as being selfish Nylander is happier when a linemate scores than himself, case in point Dermott's first goal nylander was happier than dermott.

Scouts also said something basically saying he might as well not go to the defensive zone, will he win a selke? no of course not but I am more than comfortable with him defensively right now and he is only 21!.

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You guys can say what you like about Nylander but facts are he is tied with Auston Matthews for 1st on the team in Even Strength Points at 46. Which is 5 more than Marner. If we ever get the second power play going like our 1st is or he ends up on unit 1 in time, he'll absolutely explode offensively.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's actually pretty amazing how similar Mitch and Willy have been offensively these past 2yrs. Willy has the advantage of playing with Matthews, but Mitch has the advantage of playing against softer competition.

Even Strength:

Mitch: 2.08p/60, 1.51p1/60, 9.2oish%
Willy: 2.11p/60, 1.50p1/60, 9.6oish%

Power Play

Mitch: 7.52p/60, 5.13p1/60, 14.1oish%
Willy: 6.32p/60, 5.27p1/60, 14.9oish%

Willy has been a moderately but solidly better possession player so far, though.

Willy: 51.7cf% (+2.1rel), 52.2xgf% (+2.1rel), B+ qoc
Marner: 51.0cf% (+1.1rel), 51.0xgf% (+0.2rel), B qoc

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You guys can say what you like about Nylander but facts are he is tied with Auston Matthews for 1st on the team in Even Strength Points at 46. Which is 5 more than Marner. If we ever get the second power play going like our 1st is or he ends up on unit 1 in time, he'll absolutely explode offensively.

his PP points dived from 26 last season to 9 this season. That 2nd unit has more net crashers than skill players on it sometimes. The 1st unit has Marner, JVR, Bozak, Kadri and Rielly (usually) that is 5 high skill guys and 4 of them have a lot of NHL experience. The second unit has Nylander, Matthews and Gardiner for high skill guys then Marleau who has skill but its been pretty inconsistent this season and one of Brown, Komarov and sometimes leivo or johnsson. Brown and Komarov are not high skill players what so ever the effectively are net presence without the skill of a JVR. Next season I think Kapanen has earned himself some PP time and should probably take browns spot and if Johnsson makes the team he should probably take Marelaus spot

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I agree with the panel last night in that Nylander is treated more harshly than some of the other youngsters because Babcock wants to bring out the best in him and sees so much more to give.
Yeah I agree with this too, and have talked about it before.

Willy is tremendously competitive. He's voiced an ambition to be the best player on the Leafs before, and I don't expect him to sit idly by and watch Marner blow past him. I'm expecting him to make adjustments to change that, which can only benefit us.

Something I find interesting with Willy is that he has simplified his game in certain areas, especially in the defensive zone, but that change has actually led him to have more turnovers. He's been better and safer when he played with a higher difficulty level.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have no problems with his current play and he's been really good to me. He just needs to keep shooting a little more and also using his speed to drive the net a little more.

He's been really good and I would not be surprised if he explodes offensively soon-ish.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hey! What happened to my Nylander thread? Oh well. I can post the question here:

I am not impressed with his stick checking and mild defensive play lately. He needs to be better and he has to sacrifice something to win a game (for the love of God!). So many times I watched him wave at pucks (without taking the body) last night. Trocheck: "Smell you later Willy", Barkov: "Ciao caio Mickey Mouse!" They just skate around Nylander with ease. This is with the freaking game on the line! This is with the Leafs holding a 1 goal lead!

Do you think he's too soft for Stanley Cup Playoff Hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->