Lets talk about William Nylander.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Had Matthews been healthy all year Nylander would be around 65pts right now and maybe have a chance to crest 70.

His future production will depend on his usage though. If he stays on the wing he can be a 70-75pt guy alongside Matthews and well worth the $6.5 or so we are likely to pay him. I hope he stays on wing personally and maybe only covers at C in a pinch.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Had Matthews been healthy all year Nylander would be around 65pts right now and maybe have a chance to crest 70.

His future production will depend on his usage though. If he stays on the wing he can be a 70-75pt guy alongside Matthews and well worth the $6.5 or so we are likely to pay him. I hope he stays on wing personally and maybe only covers at C in a pinch.

id take a 60 point 2C (I think once comfortable we may be looking at a 70~ point C) over a 70+ point winger though. Especially with Bozak walking essentially we upgrade Bozak with a much better version of bozak who doesn't need as heavy sheltering

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
id take a 60 point 2C (I think once comfortable we may be looking at a 70~ point C) over a 70+ point winger though. Especially with Bozak walking essentially we upgrade Bozak with a much better version of bozak who doesn't need as heavy sheltering

The problem is Willy isn't even established as a centre, nevermind a #2C @ 60 point centre at this point.

Next year we all know the plan is Matthews #1C and Kadri #2C and that makes Willy either a #3C or a #1RW (with Matthews).

True its an upgrade on Bozak but he is Leafs #3C.

Will Nylander at C, get Marner riding shotgun to help him pile up points or will Matthews, Marner (with Kadri and Marleau) all be on 3 separate lines. If that later is true than Willy will have to make hay with player options like Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo etc on his flanks and gettting 3rd line minutes as a trio.

All we know at this point in Nylander is capable of 60 points when he gets to play with Matthews.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The problem is Willy isn't even established as a centre, nevermind a #2C @ 60 point centre at this point.

Next year we all know the plan is Matthews #1C and Kadri #2C and that makes Willy either a #3C or a #1RW (with Matthews).

True its an upgrade on Bozak but he is Leafs #3C.

Will Nylander at C, get Marner riding shotgun to help him pile up points or will Matthews, Marner (with Kadri and Marleau) all be on 3 separate lines. If that later is true than Willy will have to make hay with player options like Brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo etc on his flanks and gettting 3rd line minutes as a trio.

All we know at this point in Nylander is capable of 60 points when he gets to play with Matthews.

he has 54 points this season while playing 20 games without Matthews, kapanen and johnsson with Nylander in the middle sheltered as much as Bozak and JVR gets would score pretty well IMO.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Interesting discussion between Reda and MacArthur on TSN radio. Gino thinks Matthews and Marner definitely get long term deals whereas he is not convinced what Nylander is and as such should be bridged. If he proves he is the real deal at C, he then gets paid big bucks. Says he is worth 20% more as a C than as a RW. Makes sense to me and also delays having to pay the big 3 the big bucks at the same time. This is going to be one interesting off season.

Reactions: 54thecup

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
he has 54 points this season while playing 20 games without Matthews, kapanen and johnsson with Nylander in the middle sheltered as much as Bozak and JVR gets would score pretty well IMO.
Yeah. He had a 50+ point pace as a 19-year old center playing with guys who are no longer in the NHL. He's shown he can put up points no matter what.

Shouldn't you have to prove something... anything... before you're given 8 year contracts?
I don't understand this point. Nylander has a three year sample where he has in various usage put up 60ish points with terrific underlying numbers as an elite transition player. How has he not proven something? What has Marner proven that Willy hasn't?

Players should be given 8 year contracts if they feature in the teams long-term plans, and if that's the best solution. I don't see how it isn't.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Ehlers is the best comparable for Marner and Nylander. Ehlers got 8 percent of the cap and signed for 7 years. Assuming that the cap will be 80 million next year, both Marner and Nylander will sign for 6.4 million for 7 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Ehlers is the best comparable for Marner and Nylander. Ehlers got 8 percent of the cap and signed for 7 years. Assuming that the cap will be 80 million next year, both Marner and Nylander will sign for 6.4 million for 7 years.

That’s about what i think he’ll sign for. Around 6.5ish over 6ish years.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah. He had a 50+ point pace as a 19-year old center playing with guys who are no longer in the NHL. He's shown he can put up points no matter what.

I don't understand this point. Nylander has a three year sample where he has in various usage put up 60ish points with terrific underlying numbers as an elite transition player. How has he not proven something? What has Marner proven that Willy hasn't?

Players should be given 8 year contracts if they feature in the teams long-term plans, and if that's the best solution. I don't see how it isn't.

I don't mind an 8 year contract at a bargain.

But giving contracts on what you hope a player becomes, and not what they've proven to be, is very risky business.

How much would you pay a 60 point first liner and at what term? That's all he's proven to be thus far.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a huge fan of Nylander. I hope he becomes something special. But as of right now... he's a 60 point first liner.

Reactions: 54thecup

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting discussion between Reda and MacArthur on TSN radio. Gino thinks Matthews and Marner definitely get long term deals whereas he is not convinced what Nylander is and as such should be bridged. If he proves he is the real deal at C, he then gets paid big bucks. Says he is worth 20% more as a C than as a RW. Makes sense to me and also delays having to pay the big 3 the big bucks at the same time. This is going to be one interesting off season.

Sports talk radio in Toronto has always been strangely down on Nylander.

I suspect they’ll sign him and Marner (who absolutely hasn’t actually proven anything more than Nylander) to near identical deals, and potentially even at the same time (ie this summer).

Reactions: carko32 and Walshy7

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Absolutely no way I'd bridge him

He's worth his probable 6.5M right now let alone what he's going to be worth in 2-3 years, that's a bargain of a contract long term

You bridge him you get 2-3 years of bargain and after that your going to get bent over cap wise because there won't be any bargain years on that next contract, he's getting paid

I want a 6-8 year window with this team not 2-3

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Well, just at a guess I'd say the going rate for a 60 point first liner is about what's been mentioned here.
60 point players get $50 million/8 year contracts? Because that's specifically what I challenged in my original post in this thread.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Absolutely no way I'd bridge him

He's worth his probable 6.5M right now let alone what he's going to be worth in 2-3 years, that's a bargain of a contract long term

You bridge him you get 2-3 years of bargain and after that your going to get bent over cap wise because there won't be any bargain years on that next contract, he's getting paid

I want a 6-8 year window with this team not 2-3

Reda was thinking much lower if they bridged him (4.5-5.5 if I recall correctly). 6.5 is on the high side for Nylander the RWer for me.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sports talk radio in Toronto has always been strangely down on Nylander.

I suspect they’ll sign him and Marner (who absolutely hasn’t actually proven anything more than Nylander) to near identical deals, and potentially even at the same time (ie this summer).

I'll agree with you if the Leafs are sold on Nylander. I am not sure they are sold on Willie as much as they are with Matty and Mitch. Starting to wonder why they haven't signed Willie yet if they are sold on him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
60 point players get $50 million/8 year contracts? Because that's specifically what I challenged in my original post in this thread.
$6+/year seems like exactly the numbers being thrown around for 60+pt performers.

Term depends on age, given Willy's stil young it makes sense.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Reda was thinking much lower if they bridged him (4.5-5.5 if I recall correctly). 6.5 is on the high side for Nylander the RWer for me.

He's a 60 point 1st line RW that's been playing as a top 6 center recently, 6.5M is a bargain when he starts hitting his prime

The problem with his bridge deal is you get 2-3 bargain years but as soon as that's up your cap situation is going to be toxic, Matthew's is going to get huge money and Marner is playing like he's going to get paid as well, at least one of those guys needs to be on a bargain contract to make this big three thing work, Nylander is that guy

Tampa thought the same thing about Kucherov, that looks great this year and next, after that there completely screwed

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'll agree with you if the Leafs are sold on Nylander. I am not sure they are sold on Willie as much as they are with Matty and Mitch. Starting to wonder why they haven't signed Willie yet if they are sold on him.

Though, Leafs under a Shanahan/Lou usually don’t announce big signings until the offseason.

Zaitsev for example was officially signed in May after the team had been eliminated from the playoffs. I expect the same will happen with Nylander (and Marner-Matthews who can also be signed this summer too).

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Let's get his brother on the team :) I wonder what Buffalo would want for him hmm...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->