Let's talk about the kids

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
...who made an impression at this years WCH and who will likely be cornerstones of their national teams for years to come. Please, do not involve you know which 3 players in this thread! Thank you!

Tell your opinions about these 4 players and what will they bring to their national teams in the future:

Phill Kessel: I have only seen two US games and wasn't that impressed. But his speed is something you don't see very often :eek: . His draft stock is still falling.

Nicklas Backstrom: Impressed quite a bit. Played on the first line after joining the team in the later stages of the tournament and definitely didn't dissapoint. Too bad he didn't score on that beautiful wraparound in the finals. Draft stock rising.

Anze Kopitar: Already in his 2nd WCH tournament and by far the best player on his team. Too bad he'll never win anything playing for Slovenia... Could be expected in the NHL next season. :handclap:

And my favourite Kaspars Daugavins: The youngest of all of them. I've seen only one game against the US when he was pretty much targeted the whole game and I was totaly impressed how can somebody so young and from Latvia (as an inferior hockey country to the US) play like a veteran; so calm and with so much puck poise. And also not be intimidated by the US NHL-ers after being targeted and cheap-shot in the game?! WOW! He surely isn't as good as the other 3 but flying so much under the radar and that nobody ever talked about him... [scratch head] When is he draft eligible?

Macman

May 15, 2004
TORRUS[B said:
Phill Kessel[/B]: I have only seen two US games and wasn't that impressed. But his speed is something you don't see very often :eek: . His draft stock is still falling.

He stills seems like the perfect fit for Pittsburgh, though, assuming Johnson goes No. 1. Can you imagine how many goals he'll score with Crosby or Malkin feeding him?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
That would be too much! Imagine PP with those 3! :amazed:

...but Daugavins could score more :D My new favourite young player! :handclap:

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Nothing impressive from Kessel in this WHC, i havent seen him playing anywere else, and you could write it down as a bad tournament.

Backstrom was solid for Sweden, a team who just won the WHC and that shows alot. Honest, didnt see a holes in his game, solid all aroung player, definately TOP5 pick.

To be leader in 18 years for an elite hockey teams shows how good this player is. One thing i always enjoy watching Kopitar is how smart this kid is. Hockeywise hes probably the smartest young player out there at the moment. 100% NHL ready.

I heard about Daugavins 2 or 3 years ago when he was playing for CSKA Moscow youth team and at that time many already said the kid is talanted. Reason why there was no interest in him during this season from scouts is a head scrather for me too. As i understand after U18 WHC scouts finaly started to mention his name and projected 2nd-4th round pick. After WHC id say hes a strong contender for 2nd round, i might be little biased as a latvian but the kid is talanted.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Backstrom impressed me. Kessel didn't really impress me, but it's not like he was terrible. Daugavins looked really smart and crafty, someone to keep an eye on for sure.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Sakaarnis said:
I heard about Daugavins 2 or 3 years ago when he was playing for CSKA Moscow youth team and at that time many already said the kid is talanted. Reason why there was no interest in him during this season from scouts is a head scrather for me too. As i understand after U18 WHC scouts finaly started to mention his name and projected 2nd-4th round pick. After WHC id say hes a strong contender for 2nd round, i might be little biased as a latvian but the kid is talanted.

Imagine, this guy will be dominating the WJC for two more years! Especially if it's DIV 1.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
TORRUS said:
Imagine, this guy will be dominating the WJC for two more years! Especially if it's DIV 1.

Yeah, i have high hopes on him and the rest of the U18 wich won the promo to elite this year, to do the same with the U20.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
TORRUS said:
And my favourite Kaspars Daugavins: The youngest of all of them. I've seen only one game against the US when he was pretty much targeted the whole game and I was totaly impressed how can somebody so young and from Latvia (as an inferior hockey country to the US) play like a veteran; so calm and with so much puck poise. And also not be intimidated by the US NHL-ers after being targeted and cheap-shot in the game?! WOW! He surely isn't as good as the other 3 but flying so much under the radar and that nobody ever talked about him... [scratch head] When is he draft eligible?
I think people are starting to notice him. TSN's mentioned him when talking about young promising players the other day. I think it was Andy Murry who specifically said something about Daugavins.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I was impressed by Redlihs as well, although Daugavins seemed like the best Latvian young talent around in these games.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bäckström impressed me a lot. So smart out there.

Kessel I think showed some of his skills as well. He played for a bad team and it is not easy for a kid to come in and do well if the other players aint helping out as much. Still think he will be a top pick.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
I remember Kopitar's name was mentioned all the time when team Slovenia was playing. The guy will obviously have a bright future in Ice Hockey.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Speaking of kids, how about Crosby? I mean the kid is still 18. (And this is coming from Ovechkin's fan?! :eek: But Red Bull is too old at 20 anyways)

Edit: It was a joke.

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
As I said in another thread, I was really impressed by young Belarusian defenseman Vladimir Denisov (21 years old). Played on the first defensive pairing, always drew personal assignment against opposing top forward. Results? Crosby, Hossa and Ovechkin were all held pointless! Remarkable achievement. And the only game he missed was the worst Belarusian defeat in this tournament (4-1 at the hands of Sweden).
He gets my vote from Team Belarus.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
MMX said:
As I said in another thread, I was really impressed by young Belarusian defenseman Vladimir Denisov (21 years old). Played on the first defensive pairing, always drew personal assignment against opposing top forward. Results? Crosby, Hossa and Ovechkin were all held pointless! Remarkable achievement. And the only game he missed was the worst Belarusian defeat in this tournament (4-1 at the hands of Sweden).
He gets my vote from Team Belarus.
Crosby wasn't held pointless in that game, he got atleast a point in every game exept for the last game.
Is Denisov drafted, BTW?

MMX

Aug 3, 2005
Minsk
Crosby=Gretzky said:
Crosby wasn't held pointless in that game, he got atleast a point in every game exept for the last game.
Is Denisov drafted, BTW?

Yet he was ;) I was referring to the pre-tournament Belarus-Canada game.

I believe Denisov wasn't drafted. As Glen Hanlon said, Denisov was 8th or 9th defenseman for his club last year, and this year he is playing on the top pairing at WC! Monumental leap :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad