Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Here is a few shows to get u through these sad Hab days..
Peaky Blinders- great show, little slow the first couple seasons. Gets better and better as it goes.
Black Sails- Great show! This also gets better and better as it goes.. Get through the first season and ur golden. This is a pirate show with a huge budget.. 4 seasons
Expanse- this is a Syfy show.. if ur into that sort of thing. Currently watching season 2 and I'm more impressed then i thought i would be.
Star Trek Discovery- loving this new era of star trek. I even recommend it to people that have not watched anything to do with the Star Trek universe.
Snowfall- Start of the cocaine drug trade in L.A. From the same prooducers of Boys in the hood. Decent
Fear the walking Dead- this, for me , is starting to overtake The Walking dead..
Billions- This about the stock market, selling, trading.. Great actors- love this show
Banshee- This has a bit of everything.. sex, violence, organized crime, identify theft. loved this show! Miss it dearly.. No clothes to speak of (Vikings).
I have quite a few more shows to share for another time. Hope this helps a few of u looking for some entertainment.​

Not sure how to post or link from another thread so i just copied it to here.. This is the list i was referring to.

I still get a little peeved when people mention Black Sails yet still don't know nor mention that it's a prequel to Louis Stevenson's famous Treasure Island novel.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just watched Roman J Israel.
This was the dumbest and most pointless movie I have watched in a while. Nothing. Nothing at all made sense in this movie. I rarely hate movies but this one qualifies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here is a few shows to get u through these sad Hab days..
Peaky Blinders- great show, little slow the first couple seasons. Gets better and better as it goes.
Black Sails- Great show! This also gets better and better as it goes.. Get through the first season and ur golden. This is a pirate show with a huge budget.. 4 seasons
Expanse- this is a Syfy show.. if ur into that sort of thing. Currently watching season 2 and I'm more impressed then i thought i would be.
Star Trek Discovery- loving this new era of star trek. I even recommend it to people that have not watched anything to do with the Star Trek universe.
Snowfall- Start of the cocaine drug trade in L.A. From the same prooducers of Boys in the hood. Decent
Fear the walking Dead- this, for me , is starting to overtake The Walking dead..
Billions- This about the stock market, selling, trading.. Great actors- love this show
Banshee- This has a bit of everything.. sex, violence, organized crime, identify theft. loved this show! Miss it dearly.. No clothes to speak of (Vikings).
I have quite a few more shows to share for another time. Hope this helps a few of u looking for some entertainment.​

We have similar tastes when it comes to this list in particular. I've brought up all of these over several versions of this thread, all except for Fear of the walking Dead -- I just was never able to buy into the concept of a predator that any able-bodied person can out-run.

From the above list, Banshee is absolutely spectacular, the casting is superb, there is everything -- you're bound to love more than one character. It scores on so many levels. I couldn't get enough as it was being aired piece-meal.

I've lost interest in Black Sails in the 4th Season, became tired of pirates sounding like Shakespeare and found it particularly wordy and idle through many episodes from the the last season. Loved the first three seasons, the images are particularly stunning, the island is captivating and the whole idea of those majestic ships sailing and facing the dangers of the sea vs. those represented by enemies, is always a great source of adventure.

Am at Season 2 of Peaky Blinders. I found it somewhat slow but was told it gets better in Seasons 3 and 4 so I'm sticking with it.

Star Trek Discovery was really surprising to me. It reminded me a bit of the old Star Trek, it's a futuristic world that is easy to get into.

Snowfall was interesting, the main character looks like the real deal and the way he's connected to his family, friends and neighborhood vs. his destructive and risky ambitions, how he's treading into a world fraught with high risk that he doesn't quite seem to fully grasp, keeps you on the edge of your seat. What's obvious to the viewer isn't to the protagonist, so you're kind of wondering, why doesn't he realize the consequence of what he's getting into.

Loved Billions, particularly on account of the acting by Giamatti and Damian Lewis -- and how they both destroy the world around them before they proceed to destroy each other and themselves. So much collateral damage, you wonder if they wouldn't have been better off just settling it with an old-fashioned duel.

I saw Season 1 of The Expanse but found it tougher to get into than Star Trek Discovery. The concept isn't as clear-cut as it is in Discovery. Took me quite a bit of time to get into it and even by the end of Season 1, I had a lot of unanswered questions, of the type that are basic to the enjoyment of your average show -- things that the script didn't deliver well enough in my view.

I'll add a couple of shows that I really enjoyed:

Taboo featuring the role that Tom Hardy was born to play -- it's a winner from the opening episode. The main character returns to London in 1812 to rebuild his father's empire only to see the government and a corporate rival try to steal his inheritance and multiply means by which to fool him and destroy him -- and the way he navigates through it all, is just splendid. And then there's the taboo part that is ever-present and but don't want to give it all away.

Other show I really liked is Travelers, a time-travel action-drama that is quite unique and doesn't involve overly elaborate contraptions and futuristic concepts to get into -- all of them are fairly easily laid out.

I'm not usually a fan of animated shows but F is for Family is really worth it. It's a sitcom based in the 70s, created namely by Bill Burr and featuring the voice of Bill Burr amongst a very good cast. The artwork is well-rendered, it's also features several graphic situations and captures realistically what a lot of the weird crap that was going in in the 70s. I'd easily watch it again. It was referred to me by SquiddFX, if I remember correctly. Great recommendation.

Of course, there is the more mainstream HBO fare, like Ray Donovan -- a powerful show that only showed signs of wear and tear and slowing down, in its just completed season. Just great casting and amazing acting.

Hoping you enjoy these.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Of course, there is the more mainstream HBO fare, like Ray Donovan -- a powerful show that only showed signs of wear and tear and slowing down, in its just completed season. Just great casting and amazing acting.

Hoping you enjoy these.
Hated last season. Felt they just made that storyline with Abby because they were running out of ideas.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hated last season. Felt they just made that storyline with Abby because they were running out of ideas.

It was great until last season. They took a huge risk, they went in a direction that changed what the show had been about. All of last season played like a prolonged wake, it was a never-ending smorgasbord of flashbacks, meltdowns and grasping at straws by having Abby involved with so many things that it became quite the stretch. Yes, she is a main character but she's not the reason most of us watch the show.

Reactions: 417 and Deebs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It was great until last season. They took a huge risk, they went in a direction that changed what the show had been about. All of last season played like a prolonged wake, it was a never-ending smorgasbord of flashbacks, meltdowns and grasping at straws by having Abby involved with so many things that it became quite the stretch. Yes, she is a main character but she's not the reason most of us watch the show.
Ya it was bad. I would fast forward through a lot of the flashbacks after a certain point.
There was no point to that storyline really...changed close to nothing.
Next season can start...his relationship with his kids will still be weird. He'll still be there for his bros. Still hates his dad...
Just wasted a season I guess.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We have similar tastes when it comes to this list in particular. I've brought up all of these over several versions of this thread, all except for Fear of the walking Dead -- I just was never able to buy into the concept of a predator that any able-bodied person can out-run.

Clearly, you don't understand the science of the HORDE! One on one, maybe you can outrun (warning first video, NSFW)

Stand and fight though...

One did make it though by simply running though.

Reactions: Runner77

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Just watched Roman J Israel.
This was the dumbest and most pointless movie I have watched in a while. Nothing. Nothing at all made sense in this movie. I rarely hate movies but this one qualifies.

The Last King of Scotland for me. Even Forrest Whitaker's amazingness couldn't stop me from hating every inch of the main dirtbag in
the movie. It was just beyond stupid.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Béliveau: 7.5/10 A 5 episodes show on the life of Jean Béliveau. If you want to see the Habs winning the Stanley cup with superstar players that's pretty much the only way. Great acting from the actors playing Maurice Richard, Frank Selke, René Lecavalier and Hartland Molson.

Wonder: 7.4/10

Au nom de la loi: 7.3/10 A Quebec prison break show before Prison break with Patrick Huard as the lead actor.

Pieds nus dans l'aube (Barefoot at Dawn ) : 7/10

The OA: 7/10 Decent season until the ridiculous season finale ending that is exactly the same of South park The Death of Eric Cartman episode.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You hate the character? That was based on a true story no?

I hated the stupid white kid who somehow becomes the health minister or something.

**SPOILER** when he ends up on meat hooks at the end, I was just so happy. I've never hated a main character so much (I think he's more the main character of that film than Whitaker's character) where I wished so much ill will towards them lol. HIm an the main character of Avatar.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I hated the stupid white kid who somehow becomes the health minister or something.

**SPOILER** when he ends up on meat hooks at the end, I was just so happy. I've never hated a main character so much (I think he's more the main character of that film than Whitaker's character) where I wished so much ill will towards them lol. HIm an the main character of Avatar.

Roman J Israel is different though. I don't hate one character. I hate the entire flick. It is completely pointless, the story is just terrible.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Stonebridge and Scott characters will be back on Strike Back for a couple of episodes this season. It needs an injection of something...

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Hoping to catch Black Panther this weekend as well. I was thinking about tonight since I don’t think I have anything going on at 7pm to around 10pm :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, going to try to pre-purchase Black Panther tickets for tomorrow. Hard to find a theatre with decent seats left.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Couldn't believe how bad the movie was.. i really have to stop watching superhero movies.
I don't get the reviews.

SPOILER:

Everything was bad..
So the father of a boy in the ghetto gets killed. Happens daily. But I guess for this 10 yo boy, it meant revenge..? Barely have time to get to know your dad by 10 years old, but I guess he was his world. Fine.
So he grows up to become a super navy sealer, he finds his dad scribblings and learns all about his people.
Apparently, he hates them all, and his idea of revenge is to kill the son of his Dad's murderer..
Cool. I mean, story is already taking a pretty stupid childish turn but whatever.

The kid grows up to be a super navy seal...with daddy issues...and for some reason he develops into a cold careless person who kills anybody too. So...it's not just a boy set out for revenge anymore, he's a terrorist who is also betraying his country. Alright.
So it takes him about what...a few days to find his secret place or heritage..Challenges the black panther, a person born to be a warrior, one of the badest warrior in the world. But hey, no problem there, he disposes of him in 2 minutes because...you know...USA USA USA!..he was a seal so of course he can just come in and kill everyone...
Not enough for him to get revenge, he apparently has to be a dick and hate everyone...?...kill people at will...
Oh...and how they went over the gadgets was way too much James Bondish. I mean seriously, copy paste but with different people.
Fight scenes were pretty boring too. Typical. Those directors need help. All the fight scenes are the similar.

It's too bad. They could actually have made this better.

Reactions: PaulD

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The appeal of Black Panther was really that most Marvel movies have one foot on Earth and one foot in fantasy but this time it was gonna be about another World full of wonders. But man I thought that Wakanda was so damn boring. Even Black Panther himself which is one of the coolest characters at Marvel and I've liked him since I was a child, they sucked all the coolness factor out of the guy with all this vibranium bullshit. He's Vibranium man, not the Black Panther.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->