Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Started watching Peaky Blinders. Pretty good so far. The soundtrack is a bit odd given the time the story is meant to take place, but it's not too distracting.

I'm only halfway through the 1st season, but I get the feeling it's a good show that had the potential to be great had it had a bit more budget.

yeah i liked the first episode but the music is kind of off putting. Not enough to put me off watching the show but it was just like too much bottle neck slide acoustic or modern day Jack White for me.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just learned that Counterpart is a Starz-produced TV series. Might as well pull the plug on it now before it's cancelled. Starz is notorious for cancellations.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Steven Seagal is still a thing? He was already old when i was young and i'm over 40 ... He must be getting close to 70 now?
Yeah probably!
He barely moves anymore and he's often sitting in his movies. One scene he fought Georges St Pierre and both fell for the 2nd floor it was so funny because Seagal got up 1st:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
Here is a short list of tv shows i have enjoyed, and think are well done for the most part.
I was supposed to put this list out awhile ago and never got around to doing so. Sry for the delay.. I would usually explain why i like them and give a brief overview, but I'm very tired.. Enjoy
Vinyl
Homeland
Into the badlands
The night of
Narcos
Shooter
Strike back
Waco
Punisher
Ballers
Spartacus

Reactions: sheed36

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Yeah probably!
He barely moves anymore and he's often sitting in his movies. One scene he fought Georges St Pierre and both fell for the 2nd floor it was so funny because Seagal got up 1st:laugh:

I just watched that movie, Cartels. If you take out Segal and St Pierre that would have made a better movie. The fighting was awful and the blood was overly fake. The story was convoluted but would have been passable if it didn't end the way it did.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm back with my review of Altered Carbon. I think the above synopsis sums up the show pretty well. Mostly boring parts with some good fight scenes. I actually think I enjoyed the earlier episodes than the latter. I had to take a break after the 6th episode. The world building , production quality and visuals are through the roof! Honestly if anyone knows of a better looking show I'd love to hear it! I'd put it up there with the Blade Runner movies, maybe even better. It's just a shame they couldn't spend some of that budget on better actors.

Also what's with all the nudity? I had to double check if this show was made by Netflix or Starz lol. There's a cool fight scene in episode 8 which I think might have had more of an impact if you didn't just see every single female actress nude up to that point. At first I thought maybe the show is just being canon to the books as there is a lot of sex in the books but upon further research this show completely butchered the entire story! I mean made up characters and made up relationships that don't even exist including the one in which the entire show is based upon wtf ! I'd be pretty upset if I had actually read the books.The explanation by the creator of the show Laeta Kalogridis. is that she didn't know if the show was going to even get renewed for a 2nd season so she wanted to introduce characters that don't even appear until the 3rd book. Overall I really wanted to love this show. The potential was there but overall I think that it was let down by bad acting, writing and directing. Like Runner said, I couldn't care if any of these characters lived or died except for the AI concierge of the Raven hotel, he was awesome! I wonder if the push for such graphic nudity was the culprit for them selecting such B level actors that were willing to bear it all on camera. This is were Game of Thrones is underappreciated. They stuck as close as possible to the source material right up until the end and the show was awesome because of it! 7/10

The OA on the other hand BLEW MY MIND! This show is just NUTS! Full disclosure, how much you get out of this show depends on how much you connect with it but if you do, I'd put it up there with River. Believable acting and good writing. No spoilers, just check it out. 9/10

Shows that I plan to catch up on next:

Into the Badlands season 2
Black Sails season 4
MindHunter
Vikings season 2+

That was a long review. You could've just stopped at "what's up with all the nudity", I was already sold.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Our Cartoon President is worth a look. If nothing else, the caricatures are tremendous. TMN. Stephen Colbert is credited as co-Executive Producer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's here!

Fingers crossed, season 7 is more of what the fifth one was (although I doubt it).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Our Cartoon President is worth a look. If nothing else, the caricatures are tremendous. TMN. Stephen Colbert is credited as co-Executive Producer.

Caught the closing segment last night. The cartoon artwork is top notch but found that the jokes fell flat. A little surprised given that Colbert is behind it. But that's just a short sample impression. I'll need to watch more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here is a short list of tv shows i have enjoyed, and think are well done for the most part.
I was supposed to put this list out awhile ago and never got around to doing so. Sry for the delay.. I would usually explain why i like them and give a brief overview, but I'm very tired.. Enjoy
Vinyl
Homeland
Into the badlands
The night of
Narcos
Shooter
Strike back
Waco
Punisher
Ballers
Spartacus

Thanks for sharing. Homeland and The Night Of stand out for me, from your list. Watched Vinyl and it's the feeling you get when you're drunk or stoned -- I realize they were trying to render what it was like in the music business in the 70s and all those free flowing drugs, but the more I watched, the more it became predictably disheveled and tiresome. Enjoyed the first few episodes, then it downspiraled.

Watched Ballers and its culture of excesses. I could only feel so much empathy for people who are so rich that they are inventing problems for themselves. Not a premise I particularly enjoy.

I'm curious about Into the badlands -- anyone see it?

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Vinyl
Homeland
Into the badlands
The night of
Narcos
Shooter
Strike back
Waco
Punisher
Ballers
Spartacus

I was kinda disappointed when Vinyl was canceled. I really enjoyed that show and especially the music. I have also watched Homeland, The Night Of, Strike Back, and Spartacus and also enjoyed all these TV shows as well. I still have seasons 2 and 3 of Narcos to watch and I have Waco on my to watch list after all episodes air.

I'm waiting for Billions season 3 to start now. One of my favorite TV shows currently along with Ray Donovan and Power.

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
I was kinda disappointed when Vinyl was canceled. I really enjoyed that show and especially the music. I have also watched Homeland, The Night Of, Strike Back, and Spartacus and also enjoyed all these TV shows as well. I still have seasons 2 and 3 of Narcos to watch and I have Waco on my to watch list after all episodes air.

I'm waiting for Billions season 3 to start now. One of my favorite TV shows currently along with Ray Donovan and Power.

I have another list of shows on the previous thread of let's talk about movies. I should have added that to my post above. I'm very excited for the new season of Billions as well. Hopefully it will take my mind off our awful Habs.

Thanks for sharing. Homeland and The Night Of stand out for me, from your list. Watched Vinyl and it's the feeling you get when you're drunk or stoned -- I realize they were trying to render what it was like in the music business in the 70s and all those free flowing drugs, but the more I watched, the more it became predictable disheveled and tiresome. Enjoyed the first few shows, then it downspiraled.

Watched Ballers and its culture of excesses. I could only feel so much empathy for people who are so rich that they are inventing problems for themselves. Not a premise I particularly enjoy.

Into the badlands is decent, not incredible.. it's ver graphic with lots of fight scene. Shooter is starting to move up this second list

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Thanks for sharing. Homeland and The Night Of stand out for me, from your list. Watched Vinyl and it's the feeling you get when you're drunk or stoned -- I realize they were trying to render what it was like in the music business in the 70s and all those free flowing drugs, but the more I watched, the more it became predictable disheveled and tiresome. Enjoyed the first few shows, then it downspiraled.

Into the Badlands is a fun show if you enjoy martial art films. It's about a post-apocalyptic world that's part western and slightly futuristic. Overall a good watch. Season 1 is only 6 episodes and from what I have seen Season 2 isn't on Netflix yet.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was a fan of the original series as well. As you say, great mindless entertainment. I hope this one will evolve before long because it's a poor imitation right now.

Some big news for fans of the show: Strike Back: Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester Set for Encore

I really enjoyed the first season a lot. The second season, not so much but it was still ok. The fight choreography is pretty good considering most of them don't have formal training except for the main character. The overall concept of basically a scorched landscape and battles for territory isn't bad though some of the politics and the mysticism kinda bore me.

However, if you're into martial arts and need a show to basically check your brain, this is worth a look.

On the topic of martial arts, for those of you aware of Kung Fury, Michael Fassbender is linked to the new movie.

Michael Fassbender to Star in 'Kung Fury' Feature Film

For those of you unaware, the original short film is a throwback to buddy cop films, martial arts and fantasy movies of the 80s. Note, some content may be NSFW depending how sensitive your environment is:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks for sharing. Homeland and The Night Of stand out for me, from your list. Watched Vinyl and it's the feeling you get when you're drunk or stoned -- I realize they were trying to render what it was like in the music business in the 70s and all those free flowing drugs, but the more I watched, the more it became predictably disheveled and tiresome. Enjoyed the first few episodes, then it downspiraled.

Into the badlands is definitely worth a watch. It's the TV version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon lol. It's got some great Martial Arts over the top stunt scenes and choreography. The first season is only 6 episodes and by then you can judge if you want to move on to the second season.

Reactions: DubDub and Runner77

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
Here is a few shows to get u through these sad Hab days..
Peaky Blinders- great show, little slow the first couple seasons. Gets better and better as it goes.
Black Sails- Great show! This also gets better and better as it goes.. Get through the first season and ur golden. This is a pirate show with a huge budget.. 4 seasons
Expanse- this is a Syfy show.. if ur into that sort of thing. Currently watching season 2 and I'm more impressed then i thought i would be.
Star Trek Discovery- loving this new era of star trek. I even recommend it to people that have not watched anything to do with the Star Trek universe.
Snowfall- Start of the cocaine drug trade in L.A. From the same prooducers of Boys in the hood. Decent
Fear the walking Dead- this, for me , is starting to overtake The Walking dead..
Billions- This about the stock market, selling, trading.. Great actors- love this show
Banshee- This has a bit of everything.. sex, violence, organized crime, identify theft. loved this show! Miss it dearly.. No clothes to speak of (Vikings).
I have quite a few more shows to share for another time. Hope this helps a few of u looking for some entertainment.​
Vinyl
Homeland
Into the badlands
The night of
Narcos
Shooter
Strike back
Waco
Punisher
Ballers
Spartacus

Not sure how to post or link from another thread so i just copied it to here.. This is the list i was referring to.

Reactions: sheed36
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad