Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Watched The Hitman's Bodyguard last night. Excellent entertainment. Lots of laughs and action.

Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Probably the last season I watch of Homeland. That show has gone to full crap.

Still got this week's episode to watch. Last episode I watched was where they intentionally poisoned the FBI agent and episode ended with him trying to be revived. This episode was to me, EVERYTHING, I hate about the show... Carrie being crazy, never accepting accountability for anything (sounds like our GM), reinforcing her case for mother of the year, and somehow through all this, she still has some sort of control over Saul who does anything for her.

Anyhow, I'm frustrated with the show, but will stick with it for one more year since next season is the last one. I made it this far, I may as well finish it.

Side note, I finally saw Cabin in the Woods. 6.5/10... it wasn't bad but I kind of expected more given some of the word-of-mouth hype when it was released.

Reactions: ArsHabs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
really?

I stopped watching after season 3...but was a big fan of that show

I forget the story lines, but I think it was good until the one season after the end of the Brody story line. So, Brody seasons +1. Or, maybe it sucked after, I don't recall. Thankfully these are only 12 episode seasons.

Reactions: ArsHabs and 417

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Still got this week's episode to watch. Last episode I watched was where they intentionally poisoned the FBI agent and episode ended with him trying to be revived. This episode was to me, EVERYTHING, I hate about the show... Carrie being crazy, never accepting accountability for anything (sounds like our GM), reinforcing her case for mother of the year, and somehow through all this, she still has some sort of control over Saul who does anything for her.

Anyhow, I'm frustrated with the show, but will stick with it for one more year since next season is the last one. I made it this far, I may as well finish it.
I watched it out of habit, not sure I'll do it next year unless I'm bored and want to follow a show.

SPOILER

But ya, things just stopped making sense. How Saul still talks to her is bizarre, let alone take advide and follow her direction. The storyline with her kid is so pointless. It really just feels like they bring up the kid just to fill up the 60min episode.
Also don't get what is her problem with letting her sister take care of the kid. She doesn't have the responsibilities of the every day mom, which she doesn't seem to enjoy anyways, she gets to see her kid as much as she wants as she lives with her sister too, she can leave to go work whenever she pleases without the burden or stress of having to deal with her kid...And yet, she wants no part in this.
She goes to school and makes a scene to pick up her kid because she is ready, no more messing around, after the 10000x, but of course, she gets a call while there, so now she needs to leave on dime, again, the kid runs after her because...for some reason...and OMG..DRAMA..she almost hits her with the car.
Now she's speeding on the highway having flashes of hitting her kid...going crazy...
WTF is this BS???

Honestly I feel the show would be instantly better if they stopped insisting on the "Carrie is crazy" storyline and removed the kid completely. Too bad.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You guys should watch The Fall a BBC series from 2013 or so.

It stars Jaime Dornan(50 Shades of Grey) as a serial killer and Gillian Anderson(X-Files) as a female cop trying to catch him. There's also a girl(actress that plays Lyanna Stark, Jon Snow's mom) as a teenager who is obsessed by the serial killer.

I discovered this upon lamenting the pause from Vikings, I wanted a new series to follow. This smashed all my freakin senses, it is pretty great and there are several surprises. It's not for everybody cause it's all atmosphere and not action packed like the things I'm used to follow but I was never bored. It is pretty well-written and the acting is great. For those that only know Dornan from 50 Shades, it's a complete different range, the guy is pretty great in this and it's easy to understand why he was the next actor to watch.

Series is about 3 seasons and it's slower at the 3rd one. But it's overall really good.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just finished up the first 3 episodes of this years final season of The Americans and that show just continues to deliver. One of the better series on TV and I'll certainly miss it once it ends this year.

The Fall mentioned above is a very good TV series as is many BBC crime dramas. I thought that season 3 was a step below the first 2 seasons but it was still a good watch. I believe a season 4 is in the works.

I just noticed that Bosch season 4 is out as well so I'll have to give that a look very soon. The first 3 seasons were quite good.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Had stopped watching Walking Dead after the end of season 7. Lately, someone told me season 8 was better so I decided to give it a try. And indeed season 8 is much more fast paced with a lot of action. Hadn't found the show entertaining in the last few years, but this is refreshing.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just finished up the first 3 episodes of this years final season of The Americans and that show just continues to deliver. One of the better series on TV and I'll certainly miss it once it ends this year.

The Fall mentioned above is a very good TV series as is many BBC crime dramas. I thought that season 3 was a step below the first 2 seasons but it was still a good watch. I believe a season 4 is in the works.

I just noticed that Bosch season 4 is out as well so I'll have to give that a look very soon. The first 3 seasons were quite good.

A fourth season was thought about but I'm not sure if they will go through with it. It is supposed to follow the Gillian Anderson character on another case. But I must admit while she is good, by the third season I was tired of her.

Reactions: sheed36

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Side note, I finally saw Cabin in the Woods. 6.5/10... it wasn't bad but I kind of expected more given some of the word-of-mouth hype when it was released.

Concept was great but needed something more...
giphy.gif

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
A fourth season was thought about but I'm not sure if they will go through with it. It is supposed to follow the Gillian Anderson character on another case. But I must admit while she is good, by the third season I was tired of her.

Last I heard a 4th season was still a go but it wouldn't air until 2019 due to the writer/creator working on another 6 part series first called Bodyguard.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This week's episode of Homeland is back on track. What a ride. The action moves to Moscow while major events unfold concurrently in the US. But, the Russian action is riveting. It reminds me of several episodes I enjoyed in Seasons 4 and 5. This is a must-watch, it's a tightly-wounded storyline that'll have you at the edge of your seat.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I re-watched an old film on Saturday that is in my opinion one of the most warm, funny and sad films ever made. The film is called Macaroni, directed by Ettore Scola with Jack Lemmon and Marcello Mastroianni in the lead roles. I had the same reactions as when I first watched it. Lots of laughter and also some sadness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad