Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Funny, I was watching the latest episode yesterday and had exactly the same thoughts. The storyline has run its course, Carrie going nuts and putting her child in jeopardy and how despite a proven track record of resolving major crisis, always has to start over -- it's all become tiresome. Carrie needs to live a normal life by having the show end.
Ya, I am not sure why they haven't moved on from that. Also her daughter is the most useless part of the show. It's like they made it crazy at first, considering who the father is, but since then, it's completely useless.
They failed to make the show evolve. Same old crazy Carrie who does whatever she wants, sometimes on meds sometimes off, can control it...can't control it..
The funny part is when they make her be seductive..she looks like a complete mess, I am not sure how anyone would fall for her psycho charm..
This season, I also found it incredibly ridiculous how a super hacker is willing to forfeit 5-10-20K of ransom money just to see a pair of boobs...Oh..and to meet in person because everyone knows hackers love to show their identities...

Ya, they really need to end it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally watched the last episode of Vikings Season 5. That season has sucked.

They probably thought they would recover nicely from youknowwho going away but they couldn't do it. It's also hard to suspend your disbelief at Lagertha surviving countless events time after time. It's one of the few fictional characters that is in an important position and it shows cause the showrunners seem to have a fetishism about her while really she is not that interesting without youknowwho being there. She is hot and that's it. Ivar while sometime interesting has seem to go too much into a super-villain role while this show thrived on complex characters and changing perception with them.

Worst moment was when Bjorg went to the middle-east. Boring, made no sense, nothing was accomplished. How can you be a Vikings invader yet you go to a place with three guys?

Best moment of the season, of course Ivar with blood in his face screaming at the English and them being so afraid and intimidated that they couldn't attack him. I wish the whole season would have been like that.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Finally watched the last episode of Vikings Season 5. That season has sucked.

They probably thought they would recover nicely from youknowwho going away but they couldn't do it. It's also hard to suspend your disbelief at Lagertha surviving countless events time after time. It's one of the few fictional characters that is in an important position and it shows cause the showrunners seem to have a fetishism about her while really she is not that interesting without youknowwho being there. She is hot and that's it. Ivar while sometime interesting has seem to go too much into a super-villain role while this show thrived on complex characters and changing perception with them.

Worst moment was when Bjorg went to the middle-east. Boring, made no sense, nothing was accomplished. How can you be a Vikings invader yet you go to a place with three guys?

Best moment of the season, of course Ivar with blood in his face screaming at the English and them being so afraid and intimidated that they couldn't attack him. I wish the whole season would have been like that.

I watched the 2 following episodes after He was gone and then quit the show entirely. It already started to lose its appeal around season 4 imo.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Devil's Backbone: 8/10 Good movie.

And here we have our third 8 rating in the last 2 weeks, after several weeks, perhaps even months, where no ratings ever reached 8.

We still haven't broken the 8 mark, however. :sarcasm:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Broken Circle Breakdown: 7.8/10 Good movie. I can't believe that the Hunt, Omar and this movie all lost the Oscar to the Great beauty.

Cria Cuervos: 7.3/10

The Station Agent: 6.8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I've been binge watching a show called Deep Undercover about agents from various agencies working high profile undercover cases. Incredibly interesting. I couldn't even begin to think of the stress they go through working undercover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I've been binge watching a sgow called Deep Undercover about agents from various agencies working high profile undercover cases. Incredibly interesting. I couldn't even begin to think of the stress they go through working undercover.
Met a couple (very good looking) in the Montreal suburbs, about 20 years ago, both undercover agents. They didnt have any children, for safety reasons and barely had any friends. I hope they get to enjoy life now.

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Perks of Being a Wallflower: 8/10

Children of Heaven (1997) : 7.3/10

Fiddler on the Roof: 6.8/10

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

I actually really liked this movie and recommend checking it out.

I am sure nobody cares but The Last Jedi, boy what a piece of trash. I had such high hopes after Rogue One which was to me the best Starwars movie outside of the original trilogy but nope... they continued the trash that is known as The Force Awakens.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, much prerferred the original 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I've been binge watching a show called Deep Undercover about agents from various agencies working high profile undercover cases. Incredibly interesting. I couldn't even begin to think of the stress they go through working undercover.
If that sort of thing is up your alley then check out The Americans if you haven't done so already. It takes "deep cover" to extremes.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Watching season 1 of the documentary series Flint Town on NF.

Good doc so far.
I watched the whole thing. Very well done with high production values. Sad thing is that by the end the situation in Flint is no better. The water is still contaminated, crime is still rampant and the extra money voted by the taxpayers to help the cops and firefighters gets diverted by city council. It's incredible to think that a city of over 100,000 people is often patrolled at night by no more than 3 or 4 patrol cars, often with only one cop in each vehicle.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Finally binged Dark. I loved it!!
Found it even more entertaining tha stranger things
Totally recommend it. The time loop thing is a bit confusing but the characters back stories make up for that. Can’t wait for season 2

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Finally binged Dark. I loved it!!
Found it even more entertaining tha stranger things
Totally recommend it. The time loop thing is a bit confusing but the characters back stories make up for that. Can’t wait for season 2
I absolutely loved it as well, couldnt stop at 1 episode a day lol, great music too

just great writing and acting

i cant BELIEVE how everyone looks like their younger selves, they absolutely knocked that out of the park

Reactions: Zorba

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't seen it but I know of it. It one of those shows I have on my list of things to watch.

I've vouched for The Americans repeatedly in all the versions of this thread that I've been a part of, since I've been watching. It's an absolutely riveting show, I continue to recommend it highly. Final season airing now.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I watched the 2 following episodes after He was gone and then quit the show entirely. It already started to lose its appeal around season 4 imo.

As a Viking myself .:cool: I can't watch Vikings speaking English, especially in some fake Scandinavian accent. My hometown has quite a lot of runstones and they can be a bit humorous. There's one in particular I remember. "Åsa raised this stone in rememberance of her two sons Eirik and Birger who fell while viking in foreign lands, after feeding the eagle generously." The word viking comes from the Swedish and Danish word vik which means bay or inlet. In general Swedish Vikings went south or east. If you watch that ham of a movie the 13th Warrior, those were Swedish Vikings. They had some fun names for other areas, for example Sārkland for Muslim areas, it means Nightgown Land.
The Swedish Vikings were known as Rus by the Slavic tribes and there are speculations in parts of Russia that they mixed with the local nobility like in Normandy and gave name to Russia. One Swedish chieftain named Valdemar slavified his name to Vladimir and became King of that area. Of course neither Denmark nor Sweden did exist then. Daner was one tribe and Svear was another. Later the area controlled by the Svear tribe became Svea Rike (rike means kingdom), and later Sverige which is the current Swedish name for Sweden.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
As a Viking myself .:cool: I can't watch Vikings speaking English, especially in some fake Scandinavian accent. My hometown has quite a lot of runstones and they can be a bit humorous. There's one in particular I remember. "Åsa raised this stone in rememberance of her two sons Eirik and Birger who fell while viking in foreign lands, after feeding the eagle generously." The word viking comes from the Swedish and Danish word vik which means bay or inlet. In general Swedish Vikings went south or east. If you watch that ham of a movie the 13th Warrior, those were Swedish Vikings. They had some fun names for other areas, for example Sārkland for Muslim areas, it means Nightgown Land.
The Swedish Vikings were known as Rus by the Slavic tribes and there are speculations in parts of Russia that they mixed with the local nobility like in Normandy and gave name to Russia. One Swedish chieftain named Valdemar slavified his name to Vladimir and became King of that area. Of course neither Denmark nor Sweden did exist then. Daner was one tribe and Svear was another. Later the area controlled by the Svear tribe became Svea Rike (rike means kingdom), and later Sverige which is the current Swedish name for Sweden.

It's similar to what I read in a Russian book I have where the legend says that Scandinavian Princes mixed in with Slavic Tribes to Create Russia. Those Slavic tribes were in a neverending war with each other and the Nordic princes brought peace. But I don't think Normandy has anything to do with that.

Speaking of which, we don't see enough of Russia on TV. It would be interesting to see some Russian history done in a series like Vikings, maybe around the time of Rasputin and the Revolution. Plenty of sex and violence for HBO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

One of the best coming-of-age movies I've ever seen even if the bar is kind of low for these types of flics. I'd score it higher. Only blemish was Harry Potter's Hermione who was miscast and was trying too hard to fit in as an American high schooler, just didn't work.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My wife and I started watching a Netflix show called OA yesterday, the first episode was a bit confusing, anyone here seem it, if so does it become less confusing?

I couldn't get into it, I gave up after the first two episodes. There's better stuff out there, but maybe someone here feels differently.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I couldn't get into it, I gave up after the first two episodes. There's better stuff out there, but maybe someone here feels differently.

I'm with you, my wife otoh had a slug day (she's from KY) :naughty: and didn't do anything yesterday but watching the show's all episodes while I finished off the QSF tax returns at work A perfect arrangement, I brought the iPad and managed to watch the City v United soccer game and the Rangers v Flyers game using my phone as a wifi hotspot.

I'm going to go back and read this thread to see if I can find some interesting suggestions for a movie or a series to watch.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->