Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Even better in Season 5 lol

Marlo, Omar, Slim Charles, Bubbles, Prop Joe, Wee-Bay, Avon, Stringer, Snoop, Chris, Bodey...

This shows got too many amazing characters, you get attached to every single one.

Greatest. Show. Ever.

You just made think about how in depth the show took each character. No matter how minor or large the role. The effects of government, gangs, etc on a city.

Perfect quote from the creator.

Simon has said that despite its framing as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed."

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You just made think about how in depth the show took each character. No matter how minor or large the role. The effects of government, gangs, etc on a city.

Perfect quote from the creator.

Simon has said that despite its framing as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed."
for me...I just loved how it showed that a crook, can come in many different shapes, sizes, colors and most importantly, money bracket.

You got street level hustlers, high end organized crime guys and politicians...all crooks though

Also loved how the school system, politics, police and press are all intertwined.

Can't say it enough for anyone who hasn't yet watched this show...do it

Reactions: PhysicX

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Agreed with you both. Great show, lots of intrigue. With every passing season, wondering how Lagertha never gets old. I wonder what her secret is.

I'm giving her my love potion, that's why.

I find that in many ways Lagertha is an anomaly. They keep her going and young cause they like the character but she probably should have died a long time ago.

Reactions: Runner77

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
I'm at the 4th season of Vikings and it's great. There's so much happening in this series that watching 4 episodes is like watching 20 episodes of Game of Thrones. So exausting and fullfilling at the same time.

The 4th season is the best so far... The 5th was a bit of a letdown imo.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Have you tried "The Chi" yet?
I did, it's good, but I am in that period where I remember some of it but haven't had time to continue so I forgot what episode I am at.
Easter weekend is among us, that will give me time to pick it up.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Two underrated revenge-type flicks I just watched.
''Small Town Crime'' with John Hawkes- this one's got a bit of humor in it, it's not played too straight. And "Cold in July" with Michael C. Hall and Don Johnson.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Two underrated revenge-type flicks I just watched.
''Small Town Crime'' with John Hawkes- this one's got a bit of humor in it, it's not played too straight. And "Cold in July" with Michael C. Hall and Don Johnson.

John Hawkes needs more leading roles. He’s always fantastic.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Just wasted 90 minutes on my life watching one of the greatest duds in Netflix history: Game over man...WTF did I just watch?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just wasted 90 minutes on my life watching one of the greatest duds in Netflix history: Game over man...WTF did I just watch?

Thanks. I was curious since the trailer had some funny moments but I could tell it’s gonna be one of those movies where the gag gets old quick.

Reactions: ArsHabs

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks. I was curious since the trailer had some funny moments but I could tell it’s gonna be one of those movies where the gag gets old quick.

Lots of dicks. It does smash home a couple laugh out loud moments though. But I watched it with friends and we were all crossfaded.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just watched last nights Supernatural show titled "Scoobynatural"

Not as funny as I hoped but for those who watched Scooby-Doo as a kid would get a kick out of the cross-mixed genre. There were a few funny moments and I laughed out loud when Sam and Dean first met the Scooby gang and Sam was complaining the newspaper didn't have words.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Devil's Backbone: 8/10 Good movie.

Inside Llewyn Davis: 7/10

Frances Ha: 6.8/10

Coraline: 6/10 Good animation but very average movie.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just saw IT. A lot better than I expected and a solid 7.5/10 for me.

The sexual overtones with the female character (Beverly) and her dad and the pharmacy worker were more disturbing to me than Pennywise though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
27kvg1.jpg

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anybody watching Homeland s07?
I'm only watching because I like spy action movies/shows but really the show needs to end.

Same old Carrie is crazy..on meds...off meds...she loves her daughter so much and doesn't want anybody to take her, but she's never there anyways..Why is that even part of the story? Just keep her at the sister's house, which seems to always be what it comes down to anyways, and move the f*** on from that storyline.
Crazy Carrie..always crazy...yet she is the only one who solves things...This season, I believe she isn't even hired by any agency, doesn't even have her own team, yet she's in the middle of everything..somehow?..

Show doesn't make much sense anymore.
About to start Counterpart, hopefully that will be as good as I heard.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I started watching Black Mirror, and it's pretty good and distinct from other things. The episodes are creepy and make me uncomfortable, but it is interesting to explore different topics.

All of the episodes are self-contained. I recommend the first episode of season 4, USS Callister, as a great self-contained episode that explores a lot of social issues.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm only watching because I like spy action movies/shows but really the show needs to end.

Same old Carrie is crazy..on meds...off meds...she loves her daughter so much and doesn't want anybody to take her, but she's never there anyways..Why is that even part of the story? Just keep her at the sister's house, which seems to always be what it comes down to anyways, and move the **** on from that storyline.
Crazy Carrie..always crazy...yet she is the only one who solves things...This season, I believe she isn't even hired by any agency, doesn't even have her own team, yet she's in the middle of everything..somehow?..

While suspending belief was something you'd always have to do with that show, it really was unbelievable LAST season in how Carrie suddenly got herself involved in a key position in an assassination attempt on the president-elect. However, at least through her job as a consultant to the law firm, she still had a link to everything going on including said president-elect herself.

Like you said though, she's jobless this year but I guess she's gunning for the mother of the year trophy. Oh, no... that's right, she is knee deep in another crazy story line.

On top of being crazy, she always screws over those closest to her. I get why her sister sticks with her, but it stuns me Max still does anything for her and how Saul even bothers answering his phone for her.

Anyhow, I still generally like the show, but shake my head a lot. Also wish Quinn was around as I always found him interesting. I do think it was confirmed next year (season 8) is the last one so I got this far. May as well see it to the end.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
While suspending belief was something you'd always have to do with that show, it really was unbelievable LAST season in how Carrie suddenly got herself involved in a key position in an assassination attempt on the president-elect. However, at least through her job as a consultant to the law firm, she still had a link to everything going on including said president-elect herself.

Like you said though, she's jobless this year but I guess she's gunning for the mother of the year trophy. Oh, no... that's right, she is knee deep in another crazy story line.

On top of being crazy, she always screws over those closest to her. I get why her sister sticks with her, but it stuns me Max still does anything for her and how Saul even bothers answering his phone for her.

Anyhow, I still generally like the show, but shake my head a lot. Also wish Quinn was around as I always found him interesting. I do think it was confirmed next year (season 8) is the last one so I got this far. May as well see it to the end.
Ya I don't see why they trust her with anything. Even the Dante storyline...It doesn't make any sense to me.
Ya..will still probably just watch to see how it ends.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Same old Carrie is crazy..on meds...off meds...she loves her daughter so much and doesn't want anybody to take her, but she's never there anyways..Why is that even part of the story? Just keep her at the sister's house, which seems to always be what it comes down to anyways, and move the **** on from that storyline.

Funny, I was watching the latest episode yesterday and had exactly the same thoughts. The storyline has run its course, Carrie going nuts and putting her child in jeopardy and how despite a proven track record of resolving major crisis, always has to start over -- it's all become tiresome. Carrie needs to live a normal life by having the show end.

Reactions: sandviper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->