Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watching the premiere of the new Strike Back. Exactly the same formula, right down to carbon copy characters from the previous iteration. That's very disappointing for me at first glance.

I finally watched episode one. Yeah, you weren’t kidding... similar characters. The American is a straight up rehash of the Scott character, played by an Aussie also.

I was looking at my watch a lot. Just going to power through these episodes to get to Stonebridge and Scott returning. Season 7 was also confirmed, so I guess ratings had been ok for this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The 6th and last season of The Americans has begun. I've enjoyed every one of them. Hoping it wraps up with a bang.

Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I loved Black Panther personally...and not for social reasons, I just found it sick.

I recently started watching a french series on TVA called "Fugueuse"...that show is insane, totally not what I expected.

Props to you for the recommendation. I've been watching it and am very impressed with it. I'm at episode 6 and it keeps getting better.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Props to you for the recommendation. I've been watching it and am very impressed with it. I'm at episode 6 and it keeps getting better.
I've been telling everyone I know...and they all give me the "roll eyes" look.

Without ruining for you, the ending was a bit anticlimactic for me, but still, I thought it was an amazing show.

Reactions: Runner77

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I finished Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States.
The Untold History of the United States - Wikipedia
Grade: B+

A lot of good content and information that is normally untold, but it's fact after fact after fact after fact with less actual narrative and discussion. It also only discusses the 20th century history.

Just finished it not too long ago as well

i thought the knowledge was plentiful and welcomed , really learned a lot about a lot of people, most notably just how truly great franklin delano roosevelt was, and was surprised to learn how much of a dick Harry Truman was

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Sounds like a dry presentation that is better rendered in a written format. If they're just mostly rattling out facts, how did they make it entertaining? How strong is the storytelling aspect?
It's produced (and narrated) by Oliver Stone. It's very watchable and informative. I enjoyed it (although the implications are scary)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm at the 4th season of Vikings and it's great. There's so much happening in this series that watching 4 episodes is like watching 20 episodes of Game of Thrones. So exausting and fullfilling at the same time.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm at the 4th season of Vikings and it's great. There's so much happening in this series that watching 4 episodes is like watching 20 episodes of Game of Thrones. So exausting and fullfilling at the same time.

The first couple seasons were hard to get through at times.

You can really see how the production value increased as the show gained popularity. It's still not anywhere close to GoT quality wise, I think, but if my memory serves me right I'd say it was a pretty good show over the past 3 seasons.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been telling everyone I know...and they all give me the "roll eyes" look.

Without ruining for you, the ending was a bit anticlimactic for me, but still, I thought it was an amazing show.

I've now finished it and agree. The ending leaves a little to be desired, it's ... anticlimactic as you say, so that we don't get into spoilers. Still, good series on an overall basis. The bad guys, shall we say, were easy to loathe and so full of themselves, you couldn't just stay on the sidelines and not react.

What I also noticed is how the show was factually correct in terms of how girls are recuited into a network and sold -- I remember a couple of documentaries on TVA a few years ago and the techniques being used, were reflected in the film.

The other thing that is great about this is how you can find quality in Canadian TV productions across the board. I remember the growing pain years where you'd have a preconceived notion that Canadian shows would automatically be low budget and look low budget. Not anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is a show I've been dying to get into.

If you want to invest yourself in a new series, The Americans is a great choice. It's truly gripping and renders the era it's in and the whole US and Russia cold war atmosphere, with a lot of credibility. So many instances where the tension is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I wish there were more like it.

Lucky for you, you'll have 6 seasons to look forward to.

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really need a new show

Watching The Wire for the 8th time is just as good though lol

You really watched it 8 times? What did it for you?

I tried getting into it and couldn't connect with the characters at all, I started it three times and dropped it in the early going. And then I'm wondering why don't I see its appeal, with so many here lauding it as one of the best series they've seen. What am I missing? Is it a matter of the series really connecting after so many episodes?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The first couple seasons were hard to get through at times.

You can really see how the production value increased as the show gained popularity. It's still not anywhere close to GoT quality wise, I think, but if my memory serves me right I'd say it was a pretty good show over the past 3 seasons.

Agreed with you both. Great show, lots of intrigue. With every passing season, wondering how Lagertha never gets old. I wonder what her secret is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've now finished it and agree. The ending leaves a little to be desired, it's ... anticlimactic as you say, so that we don't get into spoilers. Still, good series on an overall basis. The bad guys, shall we say, were easy to loathe and so full of themselves, you couldn't just stay on the sidelines and not react.

so true - but having known a few people who live that type of lifestyle, i'd say they nailed their characters.

Funny enough, my gf and sister-in-law always remind me of how similar the character "Carlo" and I look like lol

What I also noticed is how the show was factually correct in terms of how girls are recuited into a network and sold -- I remember a couple of documentaries on TVA a few years ago and the techniques being used, were reflected in the film.
Oh it's definitely facts in terms of how girls are recruited - i've unfortunately had some very close acquaintances who have turned to that type of lifestyle (pimping girls) and the methods are 100% accurate.

It's really a disgusting way to live though - have no respect for that personally. None.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You really watched it 8 times? What did it for you?

I tried getting into it and couldn't connect with the characters at all, I started it three times and dropped it in the early going. And then I'm wondering why don't I see its appeal, with so many here lauding it as one of the best series they've seen. What am I missing? Is it a matter of the series really connecting after so many episodes?

Not 8 times...but I'm about to finish it, and it's my 4th time.

I just love that show, it's like new every time I watch it because the stories and characters are so deep.

I'd suggest you stick with it, it's a very slow developing show because every character has a deep story...the pay off is worth it.

Seasons 1, 3, 4 are my favorites...

Season 2 is slow but underrated for how strong the writing is

Season 5 is a perfect ending to my favorite ever show.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
so true - but having known a few people who live that type of lifestyle, i'd say they nailed their characters.

Funny enough, my gf and sister-in-law always remind me of how similar the character "Carlo" and I look like lol

Oh it's definitely facts in terms of how girls are recruited - i've unfortunately had some very close acquaintances who have turned to that type of lifestyle (pimping girls) and the methods are 100% accurate.

It's really a disgusting way to live though - have no respect for that personally. None.

You mean Marlo Stanfield right? :laugh:

The Wire is a great show. It's fascinating to watch all the storylines from different perspectives. Watching the young kids grow at the end,each taking paths different than what you may have thought, like Michael and Wee-Bay's kid.

I have to say, the dynamic between McNulty and Bunch is hilarious. Especially in S1.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I recently finished Jessica Jones S2 and Broadchurch S3. Jessica Jones was meh could have been better. I found it difficult to get through at times.

S3 of Broadchurch was good, really heavy at times, like the first two seasons. David Tennant and Olivia Coleman are excellent in it.

Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You mean Marlo Stanfield right? :laugh:

The Wire is a great show. It's fascinating to watch all the storylines from different perspectives. Watching the young kids grow at the end,each taking paths different than what you may have thought, like Michael and Wee-Bay's kid.

I have to say, the dynamic between McNulty and Bunch is hilarious. Especially in S1.

Even better in Season 5 lol

Marlo, Omar, Slim Charles, Bubbles, Prop Joe, Wee-Bay, Avon, Stringer, Snoop, Chris, Bodey...

This shows got too many amazing characters, you get attached to every single one.

Greatest. Show. Ever.

Attachments

• avon-barksdale-waving-finger.gif
    avon-barksdale-waving-finger.gif
    657.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad