Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I feel the same way. S1 of JJ was great. I really enjoyed Kilgrave and overall I thought it was good. Luke Cage was good until, as you said, they killed off Cottonmouth. Iron Fist was beyond bad. Daredevil has been, in my opinion, the best one so far. Punisher was pretty good. I haven't watched Defenders yet.

Daredevil has had 2 solid seasons. I felt Defenders was like Daredevil Season 2.5. There were some key moments in it so I do recommend watching since it appears to lead right into season 3 of Daredevil.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
TaeGukGi The Brotherhood of War : 8/10 Good war movie.

Mother (2009) : 7.4/10 Decent korean thriller

Passengers: 7.2/10 Had the potential to be better but it's nowhere as bad as the critics said.

Dogville: 7/10

Not total garbage but also far from genius. Great set design and cinematography and good performance by Kidman but the story is just not good enough.

The Crow (1994): 6/10

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I haven't gotten to it yet, but this was what I heard also. I liked the first season. I watched Luke Cage over the March break and I wasn't impressed. It was good the first 4-5 episodes, but I lost interest after they dealt with Cottonmouth. I didn't like Iron Fist and was meh on Defenders. I liked the Punisher mostly.

I just finished season 6 of Homeland, so I'm ready to catch-up on season 7. I liked the prior season but saw the ending (not the death but the whole purging) coming.

I just watched John Wick Chapter 2 last night. I liked it but enjoyed the first one more. The ending for this was a little anti-climatic I thought.

One theory which I've read somewhere that makes some sense is the Soul stone is in Wakanda. The source of all the power wasn't the vibranium meteor, but the Soul stone was encased in the meteor itself. This would explain the dream sequences in Black Panther. I found this more plausible than the theory of Rogers being the Soul stone or nonsense like that.

Another reason I believe this is why is Thanos attacking Wakanda? Maybe he's after the Mind stone of course since you see Vision in the background when the Avengers meet Black Panther in the new trailer. However, if the Soul stone is in Wakanda, bringing Vision there also seems like kind of a dumb plan on the Avengers' part.

So, here are the stones:
Space - Tesseract, currenty in Loki's possession, though not much longer.
Reality - Currently with The Collector (end of Thor 2)
Time - In the Eye of Agamotto
Mind - In Vision's head
Power - In the vault on planet Xandar being guarded by (what's left of) the Nova Corps
Soul - ???

I believe based on both trailers, Thanos has the Space (he crushes the Tesseract in the newest trailer) and Power stone right off the start. Based on the first trailer, he'll get the Mind stone at some point. Given how things look for Doctor Strange in the most recent trailer, I think the Time stone will also be retrieved.

What may be the final battle on that alien planet between Thanos, Iron Man, Spiderman and the GOTG (Quill and Drax,..not sure of the others since they are with Thor) I think is going to be a battle for the Reality stone. Maybe the Collector brought it there?

Yes, I am a nerd...

Wakanda is a good guess. But the gems together form the name "Thanos". Find me a word with a letter that would make sense with Wakanda. Some of said the heroes are in Wakanda cause of the superior tech and cause they have a forced field to come people from coming in, maybe it has nothing to do with the soul gem.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Wakanda is a good guess. But the gems together form the name "Thanos". Find me a word with a letter that would make sense with Wakanda. Some of said the heroes are in Wakanda cause of the superior tech and cause they have a forced field to come people from coming in, maybe it has nothing to do with the soul gem.

Oh, that’s right. Re-reading your post... I’ve heard of that theory regarding T.H.A.N.O.S.

Not sure how it would work, but I’ve heard Heimdall being thrown around in that theory. Makes some sense since he can see people, or souls, across seemingly infinite distances.

Tesseract
Heimdall (soul)
Aether
Necklace
Orb
Sceptre

Anyhow, I hope this T.H.A.N.O.S. theory isn’t true because it would just seem a bit cheesy, which of course grown men in costumes and made up names aren’t.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Oh, that’s right. Re-reading your post... I’ve heard of that theory regarding T.H.A.N.O.S.

Not sure how it would work, but I’ve heard Heimdall being thrown around in that theory. Makes some sense since he can see people, or souls, across seemingly infinite distances.

Tesseract
Heimdall (soul)
Aether
Necklace
Orb
Sceptre

Anyhow, I hope this T.H.A.N.O.S. theory isn’t true because it would just seem a bit cheesy, which of course grown men in costumes and made up names aren’t.

Yea it's pretty cheesy I'm thinking they did this to sort of turn it into sort of a treasure hunt a la Indiana Jones whereas some men at some point in time in history did this to give people a heads up to where to find the gems. There seemed to have had a gauntlet before(as seen in Odin's armory) so maybe a couple of powerful guys took it away from him and hid them at various places. That is why before watching Thor 3 I thought Hel or Hela may have had the soul gem whereas Odin may have placed in there, given how in the comics Hela is the lord of a Hell-like place where the unworthy ends up. But in the movie, she didn't seem to be in control of any partcular place. (although given that she and Surtur died, upon her death she could end up going to Surtur's place and take it over).

Heimdall is not a bad guess but he has not shown to be that much connected to a soul or a spirit element, he mainly sees everything. He has superior senses.

I'm still thinking it is HIM aka Adam Warlock. At his creation, he was named Him and then gave himself the name of Adam Warlock. What that means is that the whole gauntlet won't be assembled until the second movie, even if Thanos and his crew would have done a lot of damage. They already have prepared and set up the character at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, coming from that golden people World. But him being in the second movie would give them the time to present the character with Thanos going at him for the stone. And they would have the time to cast an actor for it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I've been watching S2 of Jessica Jones and I have got to say so far it has been terrible.
The whole season is brutal and it just gets worse as it goes on. Worst of the Marvel series imo

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Yup.

Season 1 wasnt so bad, but highly predictable. S2 is awful.

I prefered Iron Fif and that says a lot.
Not sure I get the hate for JJ S2. I actually prefered it to S1 which was as she would put it, a bit too "rapey" and nothing else

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yea it's pretty cheesy I'm thinking they did this to sort of turn it into sort of a treasure hunt a la Indiana Jones whereas some men at some point in time in history did this to give people a heads up to where to find the gems. There seemed to have had a gauntlet before(as seen in Odin's armory) so maybe a couple of powerful guys took it away from him and hid them at various places. That is why before watching Thor 3 I thought Hel or Hela may have had the soul gem whereas Odin may have placed in there, given how in the comics Hela is the lord of a Hell-like place where the unworthy ends up. But in the movie, she didn't seem to be in control of any partcular place. (although given that she and Surtur died, upon her death she could end up going to Surtur's place and take it over).

Heimdall is not a bad guess but he has not shown to be that much connected to a soul or a spirit element, he mainly sees everything. He has superior senses.

I'm still thinking it is HIM aka Adam Warlock. At his creation, he was named Him and then gave himself the name of Adam Warlock. What that means is that the whole gauntlet won't be assembled until the second movie, even if Thanos and his crew would have done a lot of damage. They already have prepared and set up the character at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, coming from that golden people World. But him being in the second movie would give them the time to present the character with Thanos going at him for the stone. And they would have the time to cast an actor for it.

So, during the debacle in Pittsburgh last night, I got to thinking about this topic. If we are still running with the T.H.A.N.O.S. theory, perhaps the H is... Heart shaped herb. There, that’s my tie in with the soul stone. This herb was a significant plot device in Black Panther and perhaps ties in with the soul stone. The herb was a result of the vibranium meteor, which may had contained the soul stone.

A stretch, but a possibility... more so than Heimdall I think.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brawl In Cell Block 99: 10/10 --- My kind of movie, not a thing I didn't like, great flick. One of those ones you wish you hadn't seen so you could watch it for the first time again. Put your cell phones away for this one and just enjoy.

You have my attention and the critics back you up. I see that this thing is only on Amazon.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You have my attention and the critics back you up. I see that this thing is only on Amazon.

Trust me watch it all the way through. Do you like Tarantino? This director has surpassed him for me. Little dialogue. Excellent use of violence, the reviews say the violence is un watchable but I strongly disagree. And I'm a guy who can't watch gory horror flicks.

I rented it off itunes. I won't illegally stream movies I prefer to pay for quality.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Not sure I get the hate for JJ S2. I actually prefered it to S1 which was as she would put it, a bit too "rapey" and nothing else

For me at least, I remember enjoying S1 and the psychological aspect of it. David Tennant was great as Kilgrave.

This season, I don't know. I feel like there is a lot of different storylines going on. I couldn't care less about what happens to Trish or Jerry. They have too many people in the spotlight and I feel Jessica is sort of just there. The story about her mom and the company that created her could have been so much more.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
For me at least, I remember enjoying S1 and the psychological aspect of it. David Tennant was great as Kilgrave.

This season, I don't know. I feel like there is a lot of different storylines going on. I couldn't care less about what happens to Trish or Jerry. They have too many people in the spotlight and I feel Jessica is sort of just there. The story about her mom and the company that created her could have been so much more.
Given how the season ended I can see why they spent so much time on Trish, but yeah the Jeri storyline was pretty pointless -> Starts off as a powerful lawyer, stuff happens, ends up as a powerful lawyer

To clarify I'm not claiming that this season was a masterpiece by any means, but despite all its flaws I'll take it before a mind control plot any day of the week

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Trust me watch it all the way through. Do you like Tarantino? This director has surpassed him for me. Little dialogue. Excellent use of violence, the reviews say the violence is un watchable but I strongly disagree. And I'm a guy who can't watch gory horror flicks.

I rented it off itunes. I won't illegally stream movies I prefer to pay for quality.

Will have to watch this one, thanks.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Brawl In Cell Block 99: 10/10 --- My kind of movie, not a thing I didn't like, great flick. One of those ones you wish you hadn't seen so you could watch it for the first time again. Put your cell phones away for this one and just enjoy.

I have it nowhere near the level you do. Entertaining enough, but nothing special. 6/10

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
2 good movies from the latter part of the 80s. Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, the first one is 4/5 and the second 3/5,
great cast led by Yves Montand with Daniel Auteui and Gérard Depardieu (before he became a fat Putin stooge).

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sneaky Pete is the bomb digitty
Yes, the show is very good. The premise is clever, but what makes it shine is Ribisi's talent. He overshadows the rest of the cast easily and he is the reason I'm still watching it two seasons in.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I've been binge watching "White Collar" and I have to say that if you were to measure it by pure entertainment value it's right up there for me.

Sure, it's formulaic and somewhat corny at times, but if you were to overlook its obvious shortcomings there's a decent amount of pleasure to be had with it. It tries to stay fresh and provides for an interesting (even if goofy) dynamic between its two leads. It's easy on the eyes and has some humor I can appreciate.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The guy is so such a good actor it’s incredible how talented he is .
No argument from me. Giovanni Ribisi is in the elite echelon of actors if you ask me.

Did you know that Bryan Cranston is one of the show's creators?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So, during the debacle in Pittsburgh last night, I got to thinking about this topic. If we are still running with the T.H.A.N.O.S. theory, perhaps the H is... Heart shaped herb. There, that’s my tie in with the soul stone. This herb was a significant plot device in Black Panther and perhaps ties in with the soul stone. The herb was a result of the vibranium meteor, which may had contained the soul stone.

A stretch, but a possibility... more so than Heimdall I think.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yea that's it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have it nowhere near the level you do. Entertaining enough, but nothing special. 6/10

I went through Brawl in Cell Block 99 and don't see the appeal. The violence didn't do it for me. In the opening sequence, main character is driving, listening to a super lame song via the car's cassette player.

The lyrics of the songs playing are trying too hard to emulate what the guy is about and where he's going:

He's a gambling man, but be careful now
It's a dangerous kind of work
Stuff won't last forever

How cheesy is that? Reminds me of Gilligan's Island. Whenever they turned on the radio, it was answering back whatever they were talking about at the time. Same thing at a later juncture, same type of lame, lounge music -- the type you'd expect in a small-time film like this.

This is your standard 8/40 movie, limited budget, limited sets. 8 characters that gravitate most closely around the protagonist and the rest are just filler. Vaughn's acting is pretty one-dimensional, his size is speaking the loudest and we're asked to accept a lot of contingencies that are just not happening in real life. Like the thug who visits him in jail and is threatening over the phone line between the glass partition and is giving him a contract to kill someone in jail -- that stuff would never be allowed to happen, all prison calls are monitored. And especially now, you can't even see the someone directly in front of you in a lot of US prisons -- they're moving to camera feeds from a remote room.

Or, the idea of the prison the Vaughn was in and how those who guarded him, were so vulnerable. Even on his prison transfer, he was led to a private prison contractor who does a big song and dance, but somehow, Vaughn is immune and invincible and can easily out-manoever security systems, being outnumbered, his fighting skills are on slow mo all the time and yet he's able to dominate any attack -- it just doesn't add up. From dismantling a car he graduates to dismembering and crushing bodies.

Gratuitous violence and empty gestures just for the hell of it. At the end of it, I was expecting someone to scream "Murica, f*** yeah!"

To each his own, I guess. It just wasn't for me. Thanks anyhow.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I went through Brawl in Cell Block 99 and don't see the appeal. The violence didn't do it for me. In the opening sequence, main character is driving, listening to a super lame song via the car's cassette player.

The lyrics of the songs playing are trying too hard to emulate what the guy is about and where he's going:

He's a gambling man, but be careful now
It's a dangerous kind of work
Stuff won't last forever

How cheesy is that? Reminds me of Gilligan's Island. Whenever they turned on the radio, it was answering back whatever they were talking about at the time. Same thing at a later juncture, same type of lame, lounge music -- the type you'd expect in a small-time film like this.

This is your standard 8/40 movie, limited budget, limited sets. 8 characters that gravitate most closely around the protagonist and the rest are just filler. Vaughn's acting is pretty one-dimensional, his size is speaking the loudest and we're asked to accept a lot of contingencies that are just not happening in real life. Like the thug who visits him in jail and is threatening over the phone line between the glass partition and is giving him a contract to kill someone in jail -- that stuff would never be allowed to happen, all prison calls are monitored. And especially now, you can't even see the someone directly in front of you in a lot of US prisons -- they're moving to camera feeds from a remote room.

Or, the idea of the prison the Vaughn was in and how those who guarded him, were so vulnerable. Even on his prison transfer, he was led to a private prison contractor who does a big song and dance, but somehow, Vaughn is immune and invincible and can easily out-manoever security systems, being outnumbered, his fighting skills are on slow mo all the time and yet he's able to dominate any attack -- it just doesn't add up. From dismantling a car he graduates to dismembering and crushing bodies.

Gratuitous violence and empty gestures just for the hell of it. At the end of it, I was expecting someone to scream "Murica, **** yeah!"

To each his own, I guess. It just wasn't for me. Thanks anyhow.

It's grindhouse baby! It doesn't all have to make sense. Glad you watched it though thanks for your review. Let me know if you have any movies I might be missing, I'm always looking.

I do need to say though that you mentioned gratuitous violence and empty gestures just for the hell of it when infact every single act of violence he literally commited for an exact purpose whether it was to get upgraded to a maximum security prison, get sent to solitary or revenge. They were all chess moves.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's grindhouse baby! It doesn't all have to make sense. Glad you watched it though thanks for your review. Let me know if you have any movies I might be missing, I'm always looking.

I do need to say though that you mentioned gratuitous violence and empty gestures just for the hell of it when infact every single act of violence he literally commited for an exact purpose whether it was to get upgraded to a maximum security prison, get sent to solitary or revenge. They were all chess moves.

I realize why he was doing it, I just thought it was over the top. However, I respect the fact that not all movies please everyone.

I still appreciate the reference. And unlike a lot or recommendations in here that people can't or won't get to, I really wanted to give this a chance, so I walked the walk, even if it wasn't for me. Still worth it. Ask GoodKiwi, he's dumped several of my recommendations and he doesn't do it with white gloves. :laugh:

Please keep them comin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad